Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Wrestling & Fighting Discussion

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 14-Jan-16, 13:25
Producer
Points: 99,552, Level: 100 Points: 99,552, Level: 100 Points: 99,552, Level: 100
Activity: 19.0% Activity: 19.0% Activity: 19.0%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 11,355 Times in 1,045 Posts
Default Re: Underground Wrestling Community and Going Forward

Thanks for your posts! It's always great to hear from people who've been in the scene for years and can tell stories about their experiences! I'm a little biased, but I always enjoy NYC-themed stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by LicensetoKill [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
But any kind of event, I'd try to attend and hope it happens, with personal request that 15 minute sessions be part of it. That provides an opportunity for guys to meet more ladies than they'd regular meet and it gives the ladies a little extra income.

Sadly, we just took a hard blow to our potential event plans. The large underground party venue in Brooklyn that we'd been intending as a wrestling party/event space is no more.

It was an abandoned dance studio that had been transformed into a funky, arty space called The Spectrum, in Williamsburg. We'd been filming there for the past 2 years and building up a presence so that we could have a party. But at the end of this past summer, we learned the building had been purchased by developers. As a result, the residents and renters had until the end of December to gradually vacate. What will it turn into? Probably condos. Or something similar.

Just another example of NYC's shrinking funkiness. Back to the drawing board on the local party project.
Old 17-Jan-16, 06:35
Ignore My Taps
Points: 16,351, Level: 55 Points: 16,351, Level: 55 Points: 16,351, Level: 55
Activity: 2.0% Activity: 2.0% Activity: 2.0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,719 Times in 291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LicensetoKill [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
My personal feeling on the underground thing. I like a good contest. I don't like to see one opponent thrashed or humiliated, which I gather can be part of the thrill and uncertainty in an underground match, but I don't like that. Now if it's a lady vs a guy and the guy is willing - fine, but when it turns into more of a one sided bullying and the person losing isn't OK with it, that's where I begin to worry more for the losing party and it's not really something I enjoy watching.

(hope my posts weren't too long. Interesting thread).
@[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] , these were very interesting posts, not too long at all. Quite the contrary, I disdain those snippets of posts that tell just the hint of a good tale without really wagging the dog. And I especially like the true stories, the this is what really happened to me. It's hard to have too much detail there.

I agree with you also that I do not enjoy any match whether real or staged when the premise is that one party is in the contest against their will. That's not fair. That's not right.

As some may know, I allow very permissive latitude for the female against me under my fair rules, and she may ignore my submissions during our match. If the guy in a match against a lady in one of these underground things really gets his butt kicked against his will but he agreed to it ahead of time, well then that is part of the excitement for her, for him, for everyone.

As long as everyone sets up agreed upon fair rules ahead of time, it sure is fun to see a guy surprised by how dominant a gorgeous big strong woman can be.
Old 17-Jan-16, 18:52
Banned
Points: 8,332, Level: 39 Points: 8,332, Level: 39 Points: 8,332, Level: 39
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Is there a underground wrestling community near pittsburgh pa ?
Old 17-Jan-16, 19:05
Producer
Points: 99,552, Level: 100 Points: 99,552, Level: 100 Points: 99,552, Level: 100
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstewart [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I've seen on FetLife a group called "Grapple Pitt," which is located in Pittsburgh and seems to be throwing parties. As a matter of fact, they appear to have had a party last night. I personally know absolutely nothing about the group itself. I've only seen the organizer posting things.

If you're on FetLife, the event announcement from last night's party is here: [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
The Following User Says Thank You to DiabloNYC For This Useful Post:
Old 17-Jan-16, 19:09
Points: 14,900, Level: 52 Points: 14,900, Level: 52 Points: 14,900, Level: 52
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,175 Times in 390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedwrestlingnyc [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
But again on the "Going Forward" vein -

What sorts of gatherings do people prefer: "Live Events" or Parties?

Here is how I differentiate the terms:

"Live Events" are more like a show. There may be a roster of wrestlers, pre-arranged matches, often the matches are being filmed, the attendees (fans) are primarily the audience, wrestlers are often professionals.

Parties are definitely a less structured gathering. At a wrestling party, guests mingle and make matches of their own, the guests themselves primarily provide "entertainment" for the other guests by participating in matches, there are activities planned for attendees to participate in, filming and recording are much less common (and sometimes banned).

I always referred to a wrestling party as being like a dance party, except that the dancing was done at floor level. Schmooze a bit, ask someone to dance, dance a bit, take a break, watch some others, take another turn, get exhausted, etc.

However, if you're not a social butterfly and you didn't bring a date, parties can possibly leave you feeling like a wall flower. Live Events, though, are much more accessible. The structure of the event and audience-style seating helps add to the comfort level; all guests can easily participate equally as spectators.

The wrestling party in Hell's Kitchen sometimes straddled the line between Party and Live Event (sometimes had pre-announced pre-arranged matches for people to watch), though it most definitely leaned toward the participatory side.

But anyway, do you have preferences? Party or Live Event? (or both?) Either preference is a good one!
I prefer wrestling parties. Have participated in a few and had a great time. The only downside is that potential opponents can be hit-or-miss if you're looking for mixed matches only.
Old 17-Jan-16, 19:10
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstewart [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Diablo's post was helpful. I will also add that there are wrestling parties every few months in the Baltimore/DC area. I know the organizers and can send you more info if you want.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to schatten_PhD For This Useful Post:
Old 18-Jan-16, 21:06
Last Achievements

P.S. A few of those involved in these wrestling parties were part of the original Grapple Dens in NYC and Philly, and they know Veve, Hanz, etc.
Old 18-Jan-16, 21:22
Producer
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by schatten_PhD [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
P.S. A few of those involved in these wrestling parties were part of the original Grapple Dens in NYC and Philly, and they know Veve, Hanz, etc.
The DC / Philly people weren't part of the original parties in NYC. The Philly-area parties only started once the NYC parties were retired. Once I passed the party to the Philly people completely, they then went on to make the DC area parties. But as for the Pittsburgh folks, the original NYC crew has never met them.

Last edited by DiabloNYC; 18-Jan-16 at 21:28.
Old 18-Jan-16, 21:29
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedwrestlingnyc [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
The DC / Philly people weren't part of the original parties in NYC. The Philly-area parties only started once the NYC parties were retired. Once I passed the party to the Philly people completely, they then went on to make the DC area parties. But as for the Pittsburgh folks, the original NYC crew has never met them.
I can PM you. The individuals I am referencing are not "technically" Philly or NYC people.
Old 18-Jan-16, 21:31
Producer
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by schatten_PhD [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I can PM you. The individuals I am referencing are not "technically" Philly or NYC people.
Sure.... but if you are referring to the people who run the DC area party, such as the one going on in Frederick, MD, in February, I know who they are and where they're from. But feel free to shoot me a message, sure!

Tags
evolution, nyc, underground wrestling, wrestling community