Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Community > General Discussion [Off-Topic]

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 10-Sep-17, 18:52
Points: 19,382, Level: 60 Points: 19,382, Level: 60 Points: 19,382, Level: 60
Activity: 7.1% Activity: 7.1% Activity: 7.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,808 Times in 653 Posts
Default Phone IP tracing

Just a quick query out of interest really...

Some idiot in our work emailled one of the managers, basically telling them to shut up.

They clearly emailed from an anonymous email, from their phone.

The manager forwarded this email to the IT department who were able to determine, apparently, that this came from an EE network phone.

The manager then sent an email advising everyone that they now had the IP address of the phone used, AND the contact number as a result of this and gave the person an hour to come forward before they took it further!

Now, I'm not an IT expert by any means, but can any I.T whizzkids please tell me if this is possible? I reckon it is just a bluff to get the person to confess! I thought you could trace an IP address from an email, but surely a contact name/number wouldn't be possible, unless you went via police/courts for a warrant to get the info from the phone network company?

Curious to know if this culprit is likely to be caught (and no, it wasn't me!)

@[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] - you're a decent IT guy, right? Any ideas?
Old 10-Sep-17, 19:02
Banned
Points: 939, Level: 11 Points: 939, Level: 11 Points: 939, Level: 11
Activity: 25.0% Activity: 25.0% Activity: 25.0%

Default Re: Phone IP tracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subboy2 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Just a quick query out of interest really...

Some idiot in our work emailled one of the managers, basically telling them to shut up.

They clearly emailed from an anonymous email, from their phone.

The manager forwarded this email to the IT department who were able to determine, apparently, that this came from an EE network phone.

The manager then sent an email advising everyone that they now had the IP address of the phone used, AND the contact number as a result of this and gave the person an hour to come forward before they took it further!

Now, I'm not an IT expert by any means, but can any I.T whizzkids please tell me if this is possible? I reckon it is just a bluff to get the person to confess! I thought you could trace an IP address from an email, but surely a contact name/number wouldn't be possible, unless you went via police/courts for a warrant to get the info from the phone network company?

Curious to know if this culprit is likely to be caught (and no, it wasn't me!)

@[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] - you're a decent IT guy, right? Any ideas?
Sounds plausible to me. If you go to your email client, you have an option that lets you view the source code of the email, and it will have the IP address of the sending device.
The Following User Says Thank You to furrygrappler the second For This Useful Post:
Old 10-Sep-17, 19:06
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrygrappler the second [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Sounds plausible to me. If you go to your email client, you have an option that lets you view the source code of the email, and it will have the IP address of the sending device.
Hiya

Yeah I thought you could get the IP address of the device, but surely they can't get the contact number/name of the person with that device, solely using the IP address?
Old 10-Sep-17, 19:07
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subboy2 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Hiya

Yeah I thought you could get the IP address of the device, but surely they can't get the contact number/name of the person with that device, solely using the IP address?
If the IT department is any good, I imagine that they would have a record of who has which phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to furrygrappler the second For This Useful Post:
Old 10-Sep-17, 19:12
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrygrappler the second [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
If the IT department is any good, I imagine that they would have a record of who has which phone.
I'm sure they probably have everyone's contact number - but I can't see how they would link that with the IP without getting the information from the phone network directly.

Meh, I'm confused. Lol
Old 10-Sep-17, 19:13
Points: 57,582, Level: 100 Points: 57,582, Level: 100 Points: 57,582, Level: 100
Activity: 92.9% Activity: 92.9% Activity: 92.9%
Last Achievements

Thanked 8,750 Times in 1,917 Posts

I'm not an IT guy but AFAIK, everything on the internet is traceable with the right tech and know-how.

Like you said, sending emails to anyone and everyone implies bluff tactics.

Has the guy come forward?
The Following User Says Thank You to jiminy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-Sep-17, 19:13
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminy [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I'm not an IT guy but AFAIK, everything on the internet is traceable with the right tech and know-how.

Like you said, sending emails to anyone and everyone implies bluff tactics.

Has the guy come forward?
No lol. 😂
Old 10-Sep-17, 19:20
Banned

Oh, yeah, it's a bluff tactic, but I don't think it is an empty threat, either. I imagine the actual task of finding the guy might be a bit burdensome and they hoped to skip it altogether.

What I would do next, if I were them, is confiscate everyone's phones and check their addresses the hard way. If it is a company phone, it's company property, and they can demand it back.
Old 10-Sep-17, 19:29
Last Achievements

Quote:
Oh, yeah, it's a bluff tactic, but I don't think it is an empty threat, either. I imagine the actual task of finding the guy might be a bit burdensome and they hoped to skip it altogether.

What I would do next, if I were them, is confiscate everyone's phones and check their addresses the hard way. If it is a company phone, it's company property, and they can demand it back.
No company phones - so just personal phones.

Personally I reckon it was just a bluff, and there's not much else they can do - save go directly to the network provider, via the police etc, requesting the information, which I can't see them spending the time or resources doing, over an email which said 'shut up'

Could be wrong though!
Old 10-Sep-17, 19:46
Points: 22,110, Level: 64 Points: 22,110, Level: 64 Points: 22,110, Level: 64
Activity: 28.6% Activity: 28.6% Activity: 28.6%
Last Achievements

Thanked 4,015 Times in 624 Posts

If they knew who it was then they would just got straight to the source, it's a desperate bluff to try and force information that they don't have, and most likely, have no legal right to.

It'd be interesting to know under what authority they think they can demand your personal property for inspection. Again, I doubt they have any legal recourse and any punitive action they try to take if you refuse to cooperate would probability land them in legal trouble down the line.
Sounds like a zealot with no understanding of their actual powers.
The Following User Says Thank You to AOmega For This Useful Post: