Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Community > General Discussion [Off-Topic]

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Closed Thread

Old 16-May-18, 17:45
Points: 6,985, Level: 35 Points: 6,985, Level: 35 Points: 6,985, Level: 35
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%
Last Achievements

Default Re: Help Save Net Neturality!

Yeah, you'd think this would be obvious -- "free and equal access" is a good thing for users of the internet. But the right wing of this country maintains dewy-eyed admiration for authority, even when that authority will happily value money and power over people, regardless of who they voted for. It's a simple rule of macro economics -- when a small number of companies have monopolistic power over a market, the need to deliver a better and/or cheaper product is removed. If internet service providers are given an opportunity to charge for access, they would be foolish not to take it. And so they will.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to psf366 For This Useful Post:
Old 16-May-18, 18:05
Points: 7,518, Level: 37 Points: 7,518, Level: 37 Points: 7,518, Level: 37
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

I agree with taking a stand to save net neutrality, but that red screen pop-up terrified me. Thought the forum was hacked again for a second. Effective, but scary
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anon123 For This Useful Post:
Old 16-May-18, 18:23
Banned
Points: 11,882, Level: 47 Points: 11,882, Level: 47 Points: 11,882, Level: 47
Last Achievements

With regard to gerrymandering, since the issue has been brought up.
Republican and Democratic vote in Pennsylvania is approximately equal, yet under previous system Republicans won 13 of 18 seats. (N. Carolina and other states are similar. Take a look at the maps!)
It will be interesting to see the results after re-districting
The Following User Says Thank You to freestylefan For This Useful Post:
Old 16-May-18, 18:27
Points: 26,283, Level: 70 Points: 26,283, Level: 70 Points: 26,283, Level: 70
Activity: 99.3% Activity: 99.3% Activity: 99.3%
Last Achievements

Thanked 3,335 Times in 1,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweig [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
As to the claim that things were perfect before net neutrality, they were not: [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I haven't got time to talk about the cases here individually (though I could), but for example I'd point out that what Comcast was doing was deceptive marketing and there already was a mechanism for dealing with it, which nn advocates chose to forego in favor of pursuing their nn efforts.
A great deal of the access problem in the US (to the extent it is a problem) is due to franchise agreements signed by local governments. Such agreements should be ended or modified in order to guarantee a public cut-out or a baseline level of service, while keeping in mind this may create a need to manage data prioritization.
None of this would involve classifying the internet as a public utility, the idea of which goes against the very nature of what the internet is and how users interact with it. Bits are not equal, cannot sensibly be treated as equal and so the whole concept of net neutrality is and always has been flawed.
Old 16-May-18, 19:33
Banned
Points: 11,882, Level: 47 Points: 11,882, Level: 47 Points: 11,882, Level: 47
Last Achievements

Someone on here complained about people who expect to watch wrestling videos for free.
Please note that it has been my policy for over 20 years to provide women's wrestling videos for free. My rationale is that women's wrestling is a new sport and many people still oppose it. The girls need the coverage.
You can watch over 50 of my videos on You Tube. Many of them I took myself.
The Following User Says Thank You to freestylefan For This Useful Post:
Old 16-May-18, 19:36
Administrator
Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100
Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 115,688 Times in 9,926 Posts

If net neutrality is repealed, end-users will be paying more for the services that they already use, directly or indirectly. That's the "economic boost" some people are talking about.

Various polls show that close to 80% of US citizens support net neutrality. At the end of the day, it's important that the majority decide what is best in such cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyofwinter [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Bits are not equal
I disagree. Bits being equal is the very essence of the Internet. In fact, it's what made the Internet what it is today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyofwinter [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
None of this would involve classifying the internet as a public utility
I believe the classification the FCC is going for is common carriage, not public utility.
[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
The Following User Says Thank You to Naji For This Useful Post:
Old 16-May-18, 20:08
Administrator
Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100
Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 115,688 Times in 9,926 Posts

Here's an nformative video on the subject:

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Old 17-May-18, 00:09
Points: 12,856, Level: 49 Points: 12,856, Level: 49 Points: 12,856, Level: 49
Activity: 6.0% Activity: 6.0% Activity: 6.0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,106 Posts

Quote:
It's not a fair question, it's ad hominem nonsense. I do not in any case.
As for public support, most Americans support something called net neutrality. When that's broken down to policy specifics for them however, as happens with many issues once buzz words are done away with, that polling changes drastically.
How so?

I could break down for you how all this immigration nonsense is ad hominem. Policy built on one or two public incidents that hurts thousands, maybe millions of people and changes little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon123 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I agree with taking a stand to save net neutrality, but that red screen pop-up terrified me. Thought the forum was hacked again for a second. Effective, but scary
Scared me too. Took me a minute to realize that it was harmless cause it looked a lot like stuff I've seen that isn't harmless.
Old 17-May-18, 00:51
Producer
Points: 27,518, Level: 72 Points: 27,518, Level: 72 Points: 27,518, Level: 72
Activity: 19.0% Activity: 19.0% Activity: 19.0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,448 Times in 1,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestylefan [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
With regard to gerrymandering, since the issue has been brought up.
Republican and Democratic vote in Pennsylvania is approximately equal, yet under previous system Republicans won 13 of 18 seats. (N. Carolina and other states are similar. Take a look at the maps!)
It will be interesting to see the results after re-districting
SIDEBAR: The PA example is a tough one, because of where the people live. I can argue all day about the math, but until our mindset about "who represents whom" changes, it is going to continue to make more "sense" to people that congressional districts be relatively homogeneous.

Most roads in the US are NOT toll roads, because that's what is better for American commerce. The internet should be treated mostly the same.
Old 17-May-18, 01:21
Points: 26,283, Level: 70 Points: 26,283, Level: 70 Points: 26,283, Level: 70
Activity: 99.3% Activity: 99.3% Activity: 99.3%
Last Achievements

Thanked 3,335 Times in 1,828 Posts

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] Onto the House next, maybe.
Closed Thread