Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Women's MMA

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 22-Mar-16, 07:13
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts
Default Re: Holly Holm

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

Why Holly Holm is frustrated with Dana White and the UFC

Former champion Holly Holm isn't happy about the UFC's president insulting her manager and, implicitly, her own decision-making ability.
Brandon Magnus/Zuffa LLC
By Elias Cepeda @[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]asCepeda
Mar 21, 2016 at 7:19p ET

UFC president Dana White has a history of criticizing fighters for relying on management and representation for contract negotiations. For most fighters, it is smart to have an intermediary do their negotiating for them, not simply because their management may have negotiating skills and business knowledge that they themselves don't possess, but also because conventional wisdom is that it can help be a buffer and prevent creating personal problems between athletes and their bosses when tough questions or issues arise.

Unfortunately, fighters using managers who advocate hard for their clients seems to often make White upset. He also has a history of burning bridges during negotiations and having an interpersonal communication style that has prompted some fighters and their camps to choose to negotiate instead with UFC co-owner and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta.

After her UFC 196 title loss to Miesha Tate earlier this month, White poured salt on the former champion's wounds by criticizing her for using her management to insist that she get to defend her title after taking it from Ronda Rousey last November, instead of waiting around for the Rowdy one to return. Immediately after Holm beat Rousey, and while Ronda was suicidal and in no physical condition to be training for another fight, White pushed the horrible idea that Rousey get an immediate rematch.

When Holm exercised her rights as new champion to demand a fight instead of waiting around without making money for an undertermined amount of time until Rousey was ready to fight again, her fight with Tate was made. After Holm lost, White tried to make it seem like Holm and her management were stupid for taking the fight, even though she likely made big money from the record-breaking pay-per-view, while losing in a way that still has fans calling for her to get a rematch with Tate.

"He [Holm's manager Lenny Fresquez] is an old boxing guy who thinks he's smart, and he's not," White said of Holm's representative.

For his part, Fresquez said that White's criticism of him was based on personal animosity. "Dana hates my guts. It's personal," he said.

While speaking on The MMA Hour, Holm expressed her frustration at White for throwing her and her manager Lenny Fresquez under the bus following her UFC 196 defeat.

"For me, I don't really care what people say about me," Holm said.

"But I do care when people are negative about the people around me who I love and who support me. So yeah, it's frustrating, because it was something that I wanted and it's something that [her manager Fresquez] pushed for [afterwards]. He said, 'Holly wants to fight.' That wasn't him saying that, that was me. He was speaking on my behalf. So, I don't like when people think that he's pushing me to do things against my will. That was my wish, and what I wanted."

Furthermore, Holm said she'd always wanted to stay active after beating Rousey, and it would have made no sense for her to wait for an opponent and a fight that she had no guarantee would happen. "I've always said I wanted to fight and there still has been no for sure time that Ronda's going to be back. So they said there's all this money coming in for that fight, but what if that fight doesn't even happen?" she reasonably asked.

"Then what are you waiting for? Nothing," Holm said. "You only make money off that fight if that fight is actually going to happen, and I don't know what's going to happen. Number one, I don't fight for money. I only fight because I'm passionate about it, and so if we didn't know if she'd be back right away, we thought, well, let's get another fight going."

Good on the soft-spoken warrior for standing up for herself when it counts. Holly Holm deserves credit for wanting to be an active champion, and for being smart enough to have management that supports her decisions to make big money when it is there to be made.
Old 22-Mar-16, 16:18
Points: 6,004, Level: 33 Points: 6,004, Level: 33 Points: 6,004, Level: 33
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements

Dana White has a habit of being an asshole. Not just with Holly's camp, but with numerous fighters and there camps.
Not too long ago he suggested Tate retire. Who's laughing now and I bet it is killing him inside!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to awesomesauce For This Useful Post:
Old 27-Mar-16, 10:14
Points: 13,641, Level: 50 Points: 13,641, Level: 50 Points: 13,641, Level: 50
Activity: 10.0% Activity: 10.0% Activity: 10.0%
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomesauce [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Dana White has a habit of being an asshole. Not just with Holly's camp, but with numerous fighters and there camps.
Not too long ago he suggested Tate retire. Who's laughing now and I bet it is killing him inside!
I love Miesha Tate and as I was posting she would be the champion and beat Holly. Dana White said if Tate feels like she should retire than she should. He only said that because Miesha was upset that Dana said winner of her fight with Eye gets to fight Rhonda for the title. Than Miesha wins and he says she gets to fight her and then he takes it away and he did it without telling her and she herd it on the news. Dana is garbage in a lot of ways. She was upset and said she was thinking of retiring and I was thrilled she didn't.
Old 31-Mar-16, 23:05
Points: 22,751, Level: 65 Points: 22,751, Level: 65 Points: 22,751, Level: 65
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,270 Times in 633 Posts

Holm Offered Fight With Cyborg, Admits She Turned It Down

Too bad , i think Holm has fair chances against Cyborg .Leslie smith will be crushed ofcourse, as would Ronda and Miesha Tate if they face Cyborg
Old 01-Apr-16, 04:43
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini3d [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I love Miesha Tate and as I was posting she would be the champion and beat Holly. Dana White said if Tate feels like she should retire than she should. He only said that because Miesha was upset that Dana said winner of her fight with Eye gets to fight Rhonda for the title. Than Miesha wins and he says she gets to fight her and then he takes it away and he did it without telling her and she herd it on the news. Dana is garbage in a lot of ways. She was upset and said she was thinking of retiring and I was thrilled she didn't.
I don't get why he does that unless he's bucking for heel promoter. He doesn't even couch his matchups with disclaimers that they're not set in stone or anything. What a prick.
Old 01-Apr-16, 04:46
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royh [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Holm Offered Fight With Cyborg, Admits She Turned It Down

Too bad , i think Holm has fair chances against Cyborg .Leslie smith will be crushed ofcourse, as would Ronda and Miesha Tate if they face Cyborg
I was just thinking, now that Cyborg is stalking the UFC women's bantamweight division, if she winds up being champ again. Remember when Gina lost to Cris, interest in women's MMA seemed to dissipate. I think she's Dana's worst nightmare right now.
Old 01-Apr-16, 15:19
Last Achievements

Just another Dana White dick move. He has been protecting Ronda from fighting Cyborg since day one but offers the fight to Holly? WTF.
Holly did the right thing by turning down the fight. The timing is not good for her. If she loses the fight, her rankings and another title shot take a big hit.
Old 03-Apr-16, 17:42
Points: 5,471, Level: 31 Points: 5,471, Level: 31 Points: 5,471, Level: 31
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomesauce [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Just another Dana White dick move. He has been protecting Ronda from fighting Cyborg since day one but offers the fight to Holly? WTF.
Holly did the right thing by turning down the fight. The timing is not good for her. If she loses the fight, her rankings and another title shot take a big hit.
Cyborg is the one that's the heel here, not Dana. She refuses to get down to 135, where the division is. She can do it if she gets off the unnatural substances that she, uh, might be using. Dana offered Holly the fight at the 140 catchweight because to would make money for everybody. But he'll never allow Cyborg to fight anyone for the title unless she makes weight.

So Dana is doing what he does for the money, which is what promoters do. But to his credit, he will draw the line for the sport.

Here's the reality. Cyborg will make 140 at weigh-ins and then blow right back up to 170 by fight time. Her opponent will walk in at around 155. Its too big a difference. So the girl really has to need the money to take that fight.

Last edited by Rated G; 03-Apr-16 at 17:50. Reason: Add comment
The Following User Says Thank You to Rated G For This Useful Post:
Old 03-Apr-16, 22:39
Points: 22,751, Level: 65 Points: 22,751, Level: 65 Points: 22,751, Level: 65
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,270 Times in 633 Posts

Yeah Leslie smith is doomed.
Old 05-Apr-16, 17:59
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated G [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Cyborg is the one that's the heel here, not Dana. She refuses to get down to 135, where the division is. She can do it if she gets off the unnatural substances that she, uh, might be using. Dana offered Holly the fight at the 140 catchweight because to would make money for everybody. But he'll never allow Cyborg to fight anyone for the title unless she makes weight.

So Dana is doing what he does for the money, which is what promoters do. But to his credit, he will draw the line for the sport.

Here's the reality. Cyborg will make 140 at weigh-ins and then blow right back up to 170 by fight time. Her opponent will walk in at around 155. Its too big a difference. So the girl really has to need the money to take that fight.
If Dana is doing what he does for the money in this case, then why has he never put a Ronda Cyborg catchweight fight out there?

Tags
boxing, fighting, holly holm, kicking, mma, muscle