Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Women's MMA

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 02-Aug-17, 15:05
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts
Default Re: Cyborg

Here's the almighty Frank Pozen's review, I do agree that Cyborg carried Evinger into the 3rd round:

This match was for the vacant UFC Welterweight Championship. Of course the problem with this fight is that though Tonya is an Invicta champ but she's a Bantamweight. I don't know what she was going to do to beat Cyborg. But from listening to her interviews this week, I don't think Tonya knew either. I guess she thought if she took Cyborg into the late rounds, she might get tired and that would be Tonya's big chance. Well, it did get to the third round but only because Cyborg allowed it. In her post match interview Cyborg said she was being patient. It's almost like she was toying with Tonya until Cyborg finally put her away with a third round knee to the head. And I don't think fans like patient Cyborg. It's like WWE fans and Braun Strowman. They want to see BRAUN CRUSH. Her fans want to see CYBORG CRUSH. Tanya said she was disappointed with her performance. I don't think she should be disappointed. I guess she did better than expected though Tonya would disagree. At least she got paid a lot of money and now she can go after the Bantamweight belt. She is a threat in that division. Then Joe Rogan starts with this "if you build it they will come" nonsense about Welterweights. I have said for years there are no credible 145lb fighters. Take note of the word "credible" because most 145lb fighters, including the ones in Bellator, stink. The exception to that is Meghan Anderson but it's too soon for her. Cyborg's next title defense will probably be against Holly Holm who is ill equipped for Cyborg. Cat Zingano and Ediane Gomes have also expressed interest. Of course all of them are Bantamweights. That's what we will see in the UFC. This is not a new problem going back to 2012 when then Strikeforce owner Scott Coker asked Cyborg to drop to 135 because she ran out of 145lb opponents. Meanwhile I expect Cyborg to do an angle at WWE SummerSlam with Becky Lynch. They have been Tweeting each other for the last couple of weeks.
Old 02-Aug-17, 21:39
Banned
Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 9,194 Times in 794 Posts

<<It was a bit of a dud and Cyborg didn't look great>>

Whether it was a dud or not is a matter or opinion, so if that's the way you felt about it, no argument here.

While I agree it wasn't the most exciting fight I've ever seen what kept it from being a dud for me was a)seeing how Tonya handled such a huge challenge and b) the improved fight IQ of Cyborg.

The knock on her in the past was always that she rushed in, overwhelmed her opponent with punches and because she was big and strong enough, finished the fight quickly. This time we saw a different version of Cyborg, more patient and measured, picking her shots and using less energy. I think she's an even tougher opponent now because she appears to have refined her swarming style into a more efficient one.
Old 03-Aug-17, 02:49
Points: 5,471, Level: 31 Points: 5,471, Level: 31 Points: 5,471, Level: 31
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Here's the almighty Frank Pozen's review, I do agree that Cyborg carried Evinger into the 3rd round:

This match was for the vacant UFC Welterweight Championship. Of course the problem with this fight is that though Tonya is an Invicta champ but she's a Bantamweight. I don't know what she was going to do to beat Cyborg. But from listening to her interviews this week, I don't think Tonya knew either. I guess she thought if she took Cyborg into the late rounds, she might get tired and that would be Tonya's big chance. Well, it did get to the third round but only because Cyborg allowed it. In her post match interview Cyborg said she was being patient. It's almost like she was toying with Tonya until Cyborg finally put her away with a third round knee to the head. And I don't think fans like patient Cyborg. It's like WWE fans and Braun Strowman. They want to see BRAUN CRUSH. Her fans want to see CYBORG CRUSH. Tanya said she was disappointed with her performance. I don't think she should be disappointed. I guess she did better than expected though Tonya would disagree. At least she got paid a lot of money and now she can go after the Bantamweight belt. She is a threat in that division. Then Joe Rogan starts with this "if you build it they will come" nonsense about Welterweights. I have said for years there are no credible 145lb fighters. Take note of the word "credible" because most 145lb fighters, including the ones in Bellator, stink. The exception to that is Meghan Anderson but it's too soon for her. Cyborg's next title defense will probably be against Holly Holm who is ill equipped for Cyborg. Cat Zingano and Ediane Gomes have also expressed interest. Of course all of them are Bantamweights. That's what we will see in the UFC. This is not a new problem going back to 2012 when then Strikeforce owner Scott Coker asked Cyborg to drop to 135 because she ran out of 145lb opponents. Meanwhile I expect Cyborg to do an angle at WWE SummerSlam with Becky Lynch. They have been Tweeting each other for the last couple of weeks.
There's definitely something going on for SummerSlam with Becky and Cyborg. Of course at natural weights Cyborg outweighs Becky by about 40 pounds, but in the make believe world of the Vince Universe this doesn't necessarily matter.

This 145 division of female welterweights (I guess for males 175 is welterweight) is a pipe dream. Rogan is trying, because that's his job, but there will never be enough quality women. Cyborg is the only one of the names mentioned that can't get down to 135. All the others can, so why should they fight at the only weight that's comfortable for Cyborg? The odds would be against any of them, so their money will have to be premium cash. That's why it was unfair for Rogan to bury deRandamie. It's not her natural weight, and she thinks she's on drugs. Holly is different; she's natural, and it wasn't her weight either. That was an even fight.
Old 07-Aug-17, 07:05
Points: 57,582, Level: 100 Points: 57,582, Level: 100 Points: 57,582, Level: 100
Activity: 92.9% Activity: 92.9% Activity: 92.9%
Last Achievements

Thanked 8,750 Times in 1,917 Posts

Holly was the first to beat Ronda when no one gave her a chance and she may well be the first... Well, not actually the first, but the woman to destroy Cyborg.

I think Holly's style could give Cyborg fits. It's a very intriguing match up.
Old 08-Aug-17, 21:53
Points: 22,751, Level: 65 Points: 22,751, Level: 65 Points: 22,751, Level: 65
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,270 Times in 633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminy [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Holly was the first to beat Ronda when no one gave her a chance and she may well be the first... Well, not actually the first, but the woman to destroy Cyborg.

I think Holly's style could give Cyborg fits. It's a very intriguing match up.
I agree. The thing about Holm that her bad days are REALLY bad, as was shown against shevchenko and GDR. but on a good day for Holly, if both Holly and Cyborg remain standing up, I think Holly has more than a good chance to survive, she's an excellent counter striker and Cyborg shooting and brawling won't work. However if it gets on the ground than Holly is done. Overall i think the odds for Holm, on a good day, are 30-40 percent to survive the distance, and 20% to win by decision. I don't see any head kicks knocking out Cyborg. On a Holly Holm bad day , Hollys chances are 0% ofcourse.
Old 12-Aug-17, 02:38
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts

Mike Winkeljohn: Holly Holm Can Pick Cris ‘Cyborg’ Apart, Win Via Stoppage
SHERDOG.COM
By Tristen Critchfield
Aug 11, 2017

While Mike Winkeljohn, Holly Holm’s longtime striking coach, is confident in his fighter’s ability to defeat newly-crowned featherweight queen Cristiane Justino, it isn’t necessarily a given that the fight will happen.

“There’s talks back and forth,” Winkeljohn recently told Submission Radio. “Right now it’s at a point where Holly fought her last fight at 135. Jumping up in weight with Cyborg cutting, those are issues that we have to think about and decide time-wise what’s best. Holly, on a side note, never will turn down a fight. She’s like, ‘Yeah whatever you want.’ She’ll just go out and fight. She’s OK with fighting Cyborg, there’s no doubt about it. She really wanted to get a shot at [Valentina] Shevchenko again, or [Amanda] Nunes. She just wants a big fight, and she’s very capable of it.”

After falling to Germaine de Randamie at UFC 208 in a bid for the inaugural women’s featherweight championship, Holm returned to 135 pounds at UFC Fight Night 111. There, she halted a three-bout skid with a third-round head-kick knockout of Bethe Correia on June 17. Meanwhile, after de Randamie vacated the belt, “Cyborg” claimed the crown with a third round stoppage of Tonya Evinger at UFC 214 on July 29. Afterward, she called for a future showdown with Holm. This week, she doubled down on that request, targeting UFC 219 on Dec. 30.

Winkeljohn watched Justino dismantle Evinger at UFC 214, and he came away both impressed and confident that the Brazilian wrecking machine can be defeated.

“There’s a lot of ways to look at it. She showed that she can do some more rounds. I wasn’t sure about her conditioning after her weigh cut,” he said. “But there’s some holes in her game, there’s no doubt. I think Evinger showed a lot of that. Tanya’s kind of unorthodox with her striking, and that can make anybody look kind of weird sometimes.

“We definitely see a lot of weaknesses in Cris Cyborg. I like Cris as a person, [but] there’s no doubt there’s some holes in there and she’s definitely beatable.”

Holm began her UFC tenure with three consecutive triumphs, including the knockout of Ronda Rousey that made her a superstar. However, she lost the belt to Miesha Tate via fifth-round submission in her next outing and then dropped a five-round verdict to current bantamweight No. 1 contender Shevchenko. After that came the controversial loss to de Randamie before she was able to return to the win column in June. Despite some recent struggles, Holm remains one of the most polished strikers at either 135 or 145 pounds, and Winkeljohn believes that could cause some problems for Justino.

“I think Holly can pick her apart, no doubt about it,” Winkeljohn said. “What people don’t understand is how strong Holly is in the clinch. On her feet and moving, Cris is definitely going to try to do most of her damage pushing her back against the cage. Good luck keeping Holly there and backing her up coming in that hard. Cris is very strong, but I think Holly wears her down and is able to stop her. Holly’s got the power to stop Cyborg, just like Cyborg’s got the power. The difference is, Holly’s got the speed and the footwork.”

Still, Winkeljohn reiterated that everything has to fall in to place correctly for Holm to agree to face Justino, particularly after she just returned to bantamweight.

“It’s not a time thing. I would like to see Cris be clean for a long period of time….But it’s just about what’s right for Holly right now at this time in her career,” he said. “The Cris Cyborg fight may or may not be the right fight depending on money, where it’s at and if we have enough time to put on a little bit of weight.”
Old 15-Aug-17, 21:27
Banned
Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Long, informative interview with Cyborg:

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
The Following User Says Thank You to brooksie For This Useful Post:
Old 15-Aug-17, 23:28
Banned
Last Achievements

Today is the 8-year anniversary of Cyborg vs Gina Carano. Here is Esther Lin's photo collection from that fight. The Cyborg/Carano pics start about halfway down:

The Following User Says Thank You to brooksie For This Useful Post:
Old 16-Aug-17, 13:29
Points: 57,582, Level: 100 Points: 57,582, Level: 100 Points: 57,582, Level: 100
Activity: 92.9% Activity: 92.9% Activity: 92.9%
Last Achievements

Thanked 8,750 Times in 1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
and now she [Evinger] can go after the Bantamweight belt. She is a threat in that division.
That remains to be seen. Right now I wouldn't be inclined to agree with that. Evinger is getting up there in age and there's a big drop off in talent between the UFC and Invicta. I reckon she'd struggle against the likes of Katlyn Chookagian and Ashlee Evans-Smith, let alone the elite of the division.
Old 17-Aug-17, 19:02
Banned
Last Achievements

Cyborg discussing her improved relationship with the UFC and her future with the organization: