View Single Post
Old 04-Jul-20, 19:34
Points: 14,099, Level: 51 Points: 14,099, Level: 51 Points: 14,099, Level: 51
Activity: 40.5% Activity: 40.5% Activity: 40.5%
Last Achievements

Thanked 4,464 Times in 909 Posts
Default Re: Dez Desire vs Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheFlesh86 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Thanks, I was hoping someone would ask me about that!

It's just not that interesting to me to be honest. I don't know jujitsu or any martial art, so naturally I'm not familiar with those techniques for inflicting damage upon my opponent. If I were going to try to hurt someone in a fight, I would likely resort to the same kinds of basic human tactics that most untrained people would--Punching, kicking, stomping, choking, biting, gouging, pulling hair, low blows etc. Those are the offensive techniques I have at my disposal, and they're all ruled out by the rules of BJJ/Judo etc. So by engaging in a BJJ contest with someone trained in BJJ, I don't have any greater chance of winning than someone who doesn't know how to hold a tennis racket has against someone who plays tennis. As a sport, I simply don't know the rules of the game, so rather than flounder around and aimlessly flail my arms in my opponent's face and wait to get caught in an arm-bar or a triangle, I'd rather just focus on defending/controlling. Depending on how difficult that is, I might be able to make an educated guess as to how a "real fight" would go.
There are plenty of istinctive and intuitive things that an untrained guy could do to try to win in a grappling match against trained in BJJ.
You can try to grab their head in an headlock or in a guillotine, get on top of her and push you forearm on their throat, grab their arm and twist it behind their back with brute strenght, get behind her and apply a rudimental rear naked choke etc...all things that would actually work if you the strenght difference is big enough, they are basically the epitome of "much bigger and stronger person bullies much weaker and therefore helpless one".

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheFlesh86 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Depending on how difficult that is, I might be able to make an educated guess as to how a "real fight" would go.
Actually no, it would not, it would be extremely misleading for making and educated guess about an actual fight.

Some of the main principles of BJJ about fighting much heavier and stronger opponent in a real fight are:

-Be patient and conserve energy while making the big guy tired, since the more he is tired the smaller is strenght advantage become.
In a fight a big guy who is attacking aggressive with strenght and no technique will tire out very fast, what the big guy has to do is grab him and stay close to not give the space to strike him and act in an efficient way that would preserve his energy.

As a part of the strategy, when a big guy is on top of the BJJ, the goal is not to escape as fast as possible explosively burning and wasting energy, but to chill, be calm and patient, make sure you are protected and then wait for the best moment to escape.
"if he is controlling you, that's absolutely no problem as long as he is not submitting you, he has to attack sooner or later, and then he would give you the space to make your move"

Those are words from elite BJJ guys such as te Gracie's, not just mine, if you don't trust me.

It's an extremely common scenario (both in grappling challenges and real fights) for an untrained much bigger guy to spent a lot of time on top of a BJJ guy thinking that he is winning and dominating, while in reality he is right on his trap and he end up being submitted without even realizing how it happened.

So with a 15 minutes limit where you are just defending and try to control it would be the other way around, she would be the one forced by the rules to be aggressive and in a hurry, waste energy etc....in a way a good BJJ practitioner would not otherwise, and I can see you be on top of her for a while and doing nothing, time rans out and you go home thinking that you have won while if you tried to attack she would have turned the table on you, meaning she was not actually in trouble and at a disadvantage.

I think that you being aggressive and trying to attack and win would be way closer to the dynamics of a real fight.

And by the way, why the submission challenges are 30 minutes and the grappling match just 15?
It make more sense to do the opposite in my opinion, it should not take much time to cycle through a series of submission to see if you can escape or not, while the longer the grappling match is the more realiable it result would be (the longer it is, the more likely is that you get tired and she outlast you, or that you make a mistake and she capitalize etc....)

Quote:
In short, I think these popular videos of big guys losing to small guys in BJJ are very misleading and actually not that interesting. That is not to say that in a real fight the outcome would always be different, but sometimes it would.
I'm not sure, but are you referring to the Royce vs Shamrock matches that I mentioned?
Because those were no rules fights, not BJJ matches.

Quote:
And the funny thing is, this isn't unique to BJJ! Take any bigger, stronger, more athletic person and put him up against a small girl in anything that she's skilled in and that he's never done and she'll have a good chance of winning. Duh!
That's untrue, the gap between untrained bigger, stronger and more athletic man and trained females differ immensely based on the activity, in some the gap in insourmountable and in other is not.
in BJJ is completely different than in Boxing which is completely different than Football which is completely different than Weightlifting which is completely different than Ping Pong.
BJJ is by far one where the gap is smaller that I can think of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNC [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I would think that triangles are seen as more secure and more difficult to escape than RNCs. It might just be because legs are stronger than arms. But I also think that more can go wrong in a RNC technique-wise, e.g. in a RNC you can pry at her arms if they aren't correctly locked up, you can rotate your body, etc. I find it more difficult to wriggle my way out of a triangle - but maybe that's just me!
Do you have any BJJ training out of curiosity?
Because it's extremely easier to power out from a triangle then from a rear naked choke fom a well built guy with a 100 lbs advantage, a lot of times with such a size difference you can't even lock the triangle properly.