View Single Post
Old 24-Jun-14, 05:57
Points: 7,330, Level: 36 Points: 7,330, Level: 36 Points: 7,330, Level: 36
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Default Re: The safety of smother KOs

Before I start, I should say that none of what I write should ever be preformed it is extremely dangerous and can lead to serious injury or death.

1.1 Smothering

Yes, it is extremely dangerous to passout from smothering/ air chokes. A smother/air choke could lead to death in as little as 3-5 minutes, If the person is completely unable to breath. The time also depends on whether or not the person was able to take a deep breath before the smother. If the person was unable to hold their breath before the smother was applied unconsciousness and death can occur faster.

The reason why smothering is dangerous is because it completely cuts off the oxygen entering the body . This oxygen is crucial. It acts as the final electron acceptor in the electron transport chain. The electron transport chain is used to create ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate) which is essentially a purine nucleoside attached to three phosphate molecules. ATP is what gives us energy and it is created in the mitochondrion in our cells. We are able to move, talk, have heart beats because of ATP. There are three main biochemical pathways our bodies use to create ATP which are the electron transport chain, the citric acid cycle, and glycolysis. The electron transport chain produces 28 ATPs in one molecule of glucose (sugar) The citric acid cycle and glycolysis produce only 4 ATP each. The electron transport chain absolutely requires oxygen to produce ATP (energy). Although the citric acid cycle does not directly require oxygen it can only take place when oxygen is present since it relies on by-products from the electron transport chain. Glycolysis does not require oxygen, however it does require 2 ATP to work resulting in a net 2 ATP produced. The citric acid cycle also has a net 2 ATP produced. This means that when you are being completely smothered for every 1 molecule of glucose (sugar) you have in your body your body can only produce 2 ATP. Under normal breathing conditions for every 1 molecule of glucose broken down you get 32 ATP. This is a huge problem. Your body needs about 10 million ATP molecules per second per cell and if you are only getting 2 ATP per molecule of glucose your body will not function.

Your heart is not going to get the energy to pump blood to your brain. In fact, when your heart detects a decrease in oxygen it pumps harder. This increase in pumping is straining your heart and this stress to the heart can cause a heart attack. Your heart also needs ATP to beat without it your heart will stop beating and if that happens you will no longer have blood with oxygen attached to hemoglobin going to brain which will lead to brain damage and death. The reason why a person is able to hold their breath for 1-2 minutes is because they already have oxygen in their tissues and on hemoglobin in the blood, however, our bodies cannot store oxygen very well and it is depleted very quickly. Once this happens, the body is starved of oxygen and therefore the critical energy source (ATP). This causes the heart to stop beating and the brain to die with time.

1.2 Air chokes

Same principles of smothering apply to air chokes, when the trachea is compressed no oxygen is getting into lungs and therefore no ATP being produced. It is also very risky because the trachea could collapse making it impossible to breath. Fractured cricoid cartilage and crushed thyroid cartilage is also possible. I should mention smothering and air chokes are extremely uncomfortable and painful especially when the person is close to unconsciousness.

1.3 chest squeezing

This is a method I am least familiar with. I believe it is called the “California knockout”. The person crouches down with their backs against a wall and breathes in and out very quickly for about a minute. This causes hyperventilation. The person then quickly gets up still leaning against the wall with their arms crossed around their chest and another person will compress the chest while the person breathes out slowly. The hyperventilation causes more carbon dioxide to be removed from the blood stream than the body can produce leading to hypocapnia (reduced carbon dioxide) which leads to cerebral vasoconstriction (narrowing of brain blood vessel) that eventually leads to cerebral hypoxia (deprived oxygen in brain) . The decrease of carbon dioxide in the blood also causes alkalosis since carbon dioxide is acidic and less of it makes a more basic solution. This leads to a smaller amount of plasma calcium ions and therefore higher levels of muscle and nerve excitability. This is why the knocked out person feels pins and needles sensations in the hands and feet, muscle cramps, dizziness, tingling in the lips, tingling in hands and feet, headache, weakness, fainting, seizures, and involuntary contraction of muscles in the hands and feet. I am assuming the compression of the chest prevents the person from breathing but I am not exactly sure. This is probably the safer way to pass out by hyperventilating before squeezing chest. Also the person is standing up so gravity is working against the arteries moving blood to brain making it easier to faint. Now if a female was to squeeze someones chest with a legscissor say on the ground I think the only way the person would pass out was from just constricting the chest so hard the person could not breath which would be suffocating the person which is very dangerous. When you hyperventilate before you compress chest standing up you are in a way confusing the body to faint and can probably make someone go unconscious in 5-10 seconds like a blood choke, whereas the squeezing of the chest on the ground without hyperventilation would probably take 2-3 minutes and would be very dangerous because of the length of time and it is a form of suffocation.

1.4 blood chokes/carotid chokes

I have never been put unconscious with smothering, air chokes, or chest squeezing nor will I ever agree to it, I find the risk way to big. I have been semi unconscious by a blood choke never to the point of dreaming, but I have had tingly fingers, lips, and feet, limp legs and twitching of hands, arms, feet, legs and bobbing of head. It is a really weird feeling first my head feels flushed because veins are easily compressed and blood cannot flow away from head and vision starts to darken and then loss of leg strength. I have never been put out by a female. I have tried it on myself by crouching down and hyperventilating for a minute then getting up really quickly and squeezing the sides of the neck where there is a pulse (both carotid arteries) with the palms of my hands inward. I have a mattress on the floor and make sure not to have anything that can hurt me nearby as I fall because I lose all control of my body. I try to crouch down as I lose control of my legs so the fall wont be so high. I only do this with my hands because I know when I passout my hands will fall from my neck to allow blood flow. It is extremely DANGEROUS and extremely STUPID to tie anything around the neck because if you pass out with it on your neck it will stay there until you die. I read so many stories of people putting ropes, or belts on their necks they passout suddenly and die because the rope/belt etc. is still compressing arteries/trachea and nobody is there to take it off like a session wrestler or something. I have also read another story of a person performing a blood choke and banging their head on something hard after losing power in their legs and dieing of head trauma. As far as blood chokes I am willing to do them because It only takes 7-10 seconds to passout. And I think there is enough oxygen stored to create ATP for 7-10 seconds. If I can get a girlfriend or session wrestler to make passout from a blood choke that would probably be safer than doing it myself because I won't have to hyperventilate and I will most likely be sitting down/laying down so I won't have to worry about falling. I am also young, healthy, don't have heart or vascular problems, and in very good shape so I feel somewhat comfortable with the risk.

I tried to make all the biological mechanisms as simple as I could get them while still getting the theory across. I hope everybody stays safe.

Again do NOT attempt to do anything that was written/typed here because it is very dangerous and can lead to serious injury or death. I would hate for something bad to happen to any of you guys/girls. I cannot be held responsible or liable for any actions you take, their consequences, any loss or damage. I also do not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the written/typed message.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Peter07 For This Useful Post: