View Single Post
Old 20-Nov-22, 17:25
Producer
Points: 27,518, Level: 72 Points: 27,518, Level: 72 Points: 27,518, Level: 72
Activity: 19.0% Activity: 19.0% Activity: 19.0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,448 Times in 1,066 Posts
Default Re: Uber drivers, do you ever wish you had a day where all passengers were women?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizyz [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
In American cities,most taxis have a flat rate per mile but with Uber rates can zoom upward based on demand in a given location at a particular time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uxiel [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I'm not sure that's true.
What bizyz said is absolutely true. "Surge pricing" can make a planned good day go very badly (as in: become much more expensive) in rather short order.

Even if you see the price bouncing between normal and surge and think you can just wait for the right bounce, you might run into the connected driver choosing to cancel the ride. Über then claims you keep your spot in line, but there's no way to prove they're being truthful or lying about that part. Doesn't matter - because you're subject to the new price anyway.

My last Übers in the U.S. was last month in Vegas. Ordinarily I'd expect to pay about $15-16 to go from the airport to poopy Palms Place, however, when I first called, the app showed $33. And then it went to $45-55 within the same minute. I was able to get the $45, but never saw the $33 again.

It's possible a taxi would only have been $25-30, but the line was so fucking long. It ended up working out. My driver had a nice, smoke-free Tesla and I was at ease when I reached the hotel.