View Single Post
Old 07-Jul-19, 16:25
G-Force

Default Re: When the Boys Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminy [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
While seeing anyone in tears is also not for me, I completely disagree with most of what you've said in this thread. I'm also concerned with your conclusion that it's important to care about boys, but not about men.

IMO, rough and tumble, teasing and even bullying to a certain extent is a part of growing up. You learn the art of give-and-take, standing up for yourself and the ability to take a joke and roll with the proverbial punches of life.

Believe me, a 'grown man' that lived a sheltered, home-schooled, mollycoddled upbringing is going to be far more psychologically damaged by a traumatic event that renders him to tears than if it happened in his childhood/teens.

Kids cry because they feel emotion but lack the maturity to categorise, understand and utilise perception for how they are feeling. The ability to 'deal with it' comes from experience and guidance, not Father Time inevitably granting you that 21+ badge of adulthood.

A child will typically have a support network - parents, teachers, etc, to console them and explain that sometimes in life, we lose and we're the butt of jokes and we feel like shit. It will happen. Talking about it is one thing, but experiencing defeat and actually feeling inadequate, humiliated, shamed, etc, is also necessary at times.

A grown man on the other hand will often have nobody and those around him will expect him to deal with it because he is, well, a grown man. But he can't possibly have mentally developed into a mature adult without these life experiences. To expect it and then have a blasé attitude to their suffering is extremely unfair.
Feel free to disagree all you want, but you apparently took my last sentence waaaay too seriously. I was making a mild joke about men crying to lighten the mood. Thought I made that obvious with the "". Also, if you can show me just ONE instance of a grown ass man actually crying because he lost to a woman in competition you deserve the poster of the century award.

Also early life experiences and how they play out in later adult life is far too vague and varied a subject matter to make such black and white assumptions on your part. I get the point of challenging your kid for personal growth, but you don't throw a kid into a situation he/she CAN'T WIN unless there is a clear benefit or lesson to be had... and even then the end doesn't always justify the means. You can push kids too far and have it backfire. I feel that I've belabored my point here, if you disagree fine, but I'm done speaking on it.

Last edited by G-Force; 07-Jul-19 at 16:50.