Thread: first match
View Single Post
Old 19-Apr-13, 09:25
Points: 11,092, Level: 45 Points: 11,092, Level: 45 Points: 11,092, Level: 45
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Default Re: first match

My first ever match was in Manchester vs Shelby Beach in 2009. It was a great experience of competitive wrestling, where I gave it my all but still came out on the losing end, just about.

My greater muscle strength allowed me to take a 3-0 lead, mainly through body scissors. However, being inexperienced I used a lot of energy in the first half of the sessions, both with my legs in gaining those submissions - Shelby is very stubbirn - and with my arms in defending against various holds. Shelby basically wore out my arms with different attempts at wrist locks, pins and figure 4s.

Her reverse head scissors and figure 4s were very strong; she didn't hold back, just smacked them on with all she could muster and tapped me out in seconds. Before I knew it it was 3-3 with about 20 mins left. I did manage one more scissor submission, but then spent the last 15 mins more or less trying to survive the onslaught, quite exhausted. In the end she got with me with a grapevine and headlock/choke combination, just before time was up, to win it 5-4.

I had gone into my first session believing a woman could not beat a fit, muscular man of 6 feet, but was wrong and basically was taught a lesson about endurance, technique and tactical skills. Brilliant experience.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mxwrfan For This Useful Post: