View Single Post
Old 30-Jul-21, 17:24
Sir Raleigh

Default Re: Other opinions on mixed wrestling

Maybe society didn't change so much in the last 15 years, but I noticed a shift: I have always practiced martial arts, when I was younger even female black belts used to tell to girls: "You can't beat a man, despite your training level". If a guy used to say "I was beaten by a girl", everyone, boys and girls, usually answered: "You clearly let her win". Even if they didn't know the girl. This was true for most people of my generation (I was born in 1985), let alone the older ones. Things seems different with younger generations: a guy outclassed by a girl in a fight seems not out of this world, instead is accepted for a normal thing. This may be caused by different factors: grappling and bjj taking places of traditional martial arts (no offence to anyone, I have started with karate, so...), empowerment of the ladies in the media which may cause a different perception of physical disadvantage (and we know the psychological factor helps a lot), a lot of girls practicing sports even from young age, the spread of crossfit and functional training among females...All I know is that now it's easy to enter a dojo and hear from a young lady that she picked up a match with a brother, a cousin, a friend...And that she won. It wasn't like this only 15 years ago. For sure, girls have usually more confidence (if not in themselves at least in their genre), and guys are starting to accept that a woman can be better in a fight.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: