View Single Post
Old 17-Jun-21, 16:07
philla76

Default Re: Measuring Scissors Strength?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crrrunch [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Interesting discussion, no?

My original study incorporated well over 200 individuals. They were mainly stronger than average girls but not FBBs or professional athletes. I advertised for strong girls to participate in strength testing. Got a wide variety. Technique is important. Some girls were reluctant to place the scale as high between her thighs as possible, others didn't want to or know how to coordinate their glutes, hammies and adductors for maximum power. I met an Asian professional ballet dancer and had her perform several squeezes. She was quite small, about 5'3" and 120# of rock hard muscle. She had trouble getting the scale to reach 250#. After several squeezes and exhortations from me, she "got it." Hit 280# of crushing pressure. Because of her athletic training and endurance, the scale bounced around above 250# for a good 10 seconds. Would have been some painful head scissors!

You well illustrated why watermelons mean next to zilch concerning a
measure of crush force. If you get one with an unusually thick rind, forget it.
On the other hand, a girl of average strength can crush one that has a thin rind. I noticed that the thicker rind ones groan and crack before collapsing signifying greater effort to crush. Thinner ones seem to just pop quickly and have a lot of liquid. I'm no expert but perhaps the thinner rind ones are very ripe.

I don't know about emailing FBBs to ask them to squeeze a scale. I'm tempted to think they wouldn't want to be bothered with that. Anyone out there who has done this?
Are you able to share your data? I would be keen to see where the results lie. What fields did you have in your 200. Any cyclists, or weightlifters, powerlifters.