View Single Post
Old 23-Jan-22, 14:54
Points: 57,567, Level: 100 Points: 57,567, Level: 100 Points: 57,567, Level: 100
Activity: 88.1% Activity: 88.1% Activity: 88.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 8,747 Times in 1,916 Posts
Default Re: News From YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbow Escape [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
To me it also looks like he is trying pretty hard.

I don't think he is making deliberate mistakes because he is trying too much to keep his balance in a spazzy way even when the throw is already 90% done and there is no way to stop it at that point, which is the behaviour you usually have when you don't want to lose the spar instead of the one you have when you don't mind giving the opponent opportunities to help him improve.

If you are thinking it because you find strange than a "black belt" would be thrown that easily, you have to be aware that in Japan the Judo belt system works completely different than in America and Europe.

The have only two belts, white and black, and a black belt is not held in high regard, it just means you have mastered the basics and you are pretty good.
You can reach it in 2/3 years of consistent training, it's basically the equivalent of a BJJ blue belt.

Some clubs seems to also include a brown belt but to be honest I don't know exactly how it works:

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

The point however is that in Japan a Judo black belt doesn't symbolize in-depth technical expertise like in the western world.
I don't think the guy is a complete dunce. He's at least fit and in good shape and has probably been training for a number of years. His balance is decent and doesn't go down that easily, like some bumbling oafs would but like I said, she seems faster than him from what we see here. It could be that he's trying hard physically but mentally, deliberately making some mistakes/openings to "test" her.

When he gets thrown the first 2 times, he slaps the ground. Not sure if this is out of emotional frustration/anger from being beaten, recognition (applauding a good move) or just a habit he has before getting back up from the mat.