Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Wrestling & Fighting Stories

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Roxy vs Christian.
Preview in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-254.

Old 24-Jun-22, 15:51
WhizKline

Default Is custom story rate really $1 per word?

As the title says. I contacted a well known fitness model who has worked for SKW, Sensually Savage and Velvet fantasy clip store to see if she would be interested in writing a custom story.

She seemed genuinely interested on email, and even suggested ways she could improve the idea. Then she dropped bombshell. She told me she would charge $1 per word.

I told her that it was far more than I thought, and honestly told her I thought it would be a little cheaper. She agreed to lower the price to $300 and told me If couldn't afford that, then I should book 1 hour $100 session on message or something. I politely excused myself by saying I would need more time to arrange the money and got out.

My question is that really the rate of custom stories? Forgive me if this an obvious question, since I am noob to all this.
Old 24-Jun-22, 16:15
Points: 5,544, Level: 31 Points: 5,544, Level: 31 Points: 5,544, Level: 31
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Default Re: Is custom story rate really $1 per word?

Nothing personal, but you should learn something about basic psychology, it would help you greatly on negotiation.

When you ask a doctor who is making, say 100$/hr, to do something outside of his field for an hour, let's say to give an university seminar lecture. he will use his usual hourly rate to price it. On top of that, because it is something that he doesn't do usually, he will most likely raise the price to cover it, be it travel expenses, or background research, etc. So in the end, he might charge 500$ for an hour seminar.

When you ask Elon Musk to write you a custom story, do you think you will have to pay 1$ per word or something like 1000$ per word?

A short story is 500-750 words AT LEAST. A typical story would run 1500-3000 words. More than that, it is probably a chapter from a novel.

How long do you think your custom story is going to be? I am thinking probably at least 750-1000 words. For 1$ a word, you are looking at 750$ to 1000$.

OF COURSE it is unreasonable. Think about it. You, yourself said "She then lowered the price to 300$". then "to a 100$ text session."

Ask yourself, isn't that a huge drop?? Why? Because she hasn't done this before, so she didn't know how to price that kind of service, so she gives you the highball price, if you don't take it, she will lower the price DRASTICALLY, to feel what your budget is. She went Highball, then gave you midball and lowball prices, see which bait you will take.

If she actually does custom story for a living. She would give you a firm price, there is probably no room for negotiation, if there is, it is probably a very small margin.

Don't believe it? Ask yourself this. If you are an IT support making 50k a year for the last 10 years. Another employer (same size company, same reputation, etc) asks how much you want for salary to work at his company, what would you say?

Would you say, 1 million dollar or some crazy number? You won't, because you know IT support usually make 50k. So you would probably suggest a number at least higher than 50k for you to make the move to his company.

If you don't care about all the advice and teaching. Then just take this from someone who regularly commission custom stories:
It is usually 100 words per 1$, but now it is about 50-75 words per 1$ due to inflation. So if you are looking for a 1000 words story for example, you should be aiming for 15$-20$.

Depends on writer, if it is a professional, it will be higher. If you don't care who writes it, it can even be free. Just like wrestling sessions.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to avmd For This Useful Post:
Old 24-Jun-22, 17:45
Points: 6,502, Level: 34 Points: 6,502, Level: 34 Points: 6,502, Level: 34
Activity: 5.3% Activity: 5.3% Activity: 5.3%
Last Achievements

I will do it for $0.50 a word.

LOL

No of course that's not a normal rate. You aren't paying for the story at that point you are paying for the person's name. This person does sessions I assume so is used to getting a certain rate for her time.
The Following User Says Thank You to BeckyLawe For This Useful Post:
Old 24-Jun-22, 18:06
Points: 14,791, Level: 52 Points: 14,791, Level: 52 Points: 14,791, Level: 52
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,293 Times in 320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhizKline [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
My question is that really the rate of custom stories? Forgive me if this an obvious question, since I am noob to all this.
OMG, It's just that the prices in the West are simply stunningly high. Here in Russia, a large family can live comfortably for a month on the amount that a Westerner would starve to death in a week. Food, electricity, utilities, transport, gas, gasoline, communications is much cheaper here. And salaries too. In countries - our neighbors in Asia, like India, Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan, many prices are even lower than here.

Just ask your friend from Russia, India, Indonesia, China or some other non-Western country to write a story for you and it will cost you a lot less than most Western authors I guess )

$1 per word is something out of the ordinary even for Western authors, I'm sure that talented members of this forum do it cheaper

Last edited by Valeron; 24-Jun-22 at 18:17.
The Following User Says Thank You to Valeron For This Useful Post:
Old 24-Jun-22, 18:10
Points: 47,908, Level: 96 Points: 47,908, Level: 96 Points: 47,908, Level: 96
Activity: 34.2% Activity: 34.2% Activity: 34.2%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,881 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhizKline [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
As the title says. I contacted a well known fitness model who has worked for SKW, Sensually Savage and Velvet fantasy clip store to see if she would be interested in writing a custom story.

She seemed genuinely interested on email, and even suggested ways she could improve the idea. Then she dropped bombshell. She told me she would charge $1 per word.

I told her that it was far more than I thought, and honestly told her I thought it would be a little cheaper. She agreed to lower the price to $300 and told me If couldn't afford that, then I should book 1 hour $100 session on message or something. I politely excused myself by saying I would need more time to arrange the money and got out.

That's insane. My stories average 3,000 words and take me about five hours to write.

My hourly rate at work is $30/hr., so I'd most definitely do the story for $150.

But truth be told, I'd very likely do it for fifty bucks, at least if it didn't require hours of research and there was an agreement I could post it to the public.

$3,000 would be a psychotic price.

Last edited by EricRRobert; 24-Jun-22 at 20:48.
The Following User Says Thank You to EricRRobert For This Useful Post:
Old 24-Jun-22, 18:27
Points: 14,791, Level: 52 Points: 14,791, Level: 52 Points: 14,791, Level: 52
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,293 Times in 320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricRRobert [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
That's insane. My stories average 6,000 words and take me about five hours to write.
I have never measured the speed of my storywriting, but in my first language it is much faster than in English, because in English stories I sometimes have to recall some rare words, or think about which phrase to express the thought more clearly, while English speakers do it automatically.

Last edited by Valeron; 24-Jun-22 at 18:38.
Old 24-Jun-22, 18:29
WhizKline

Thank you everyone for the responses. Phew! I thought I had missed something or the prices of stories or gone up or something. Nice to hear, its still reasonable.
Old 25-Jun-22, 17:58
Points: 47,095, Level: 95 Points: 47,095, Level: 95 Points: 47,095, Level: 95
Activity: 99.0% Activity: 99.0% Activity: 99.0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 13,229 Times in 1,106 Posts

Damn, the rising cost of gas must be driving up word prices too!
Old 01-Jul-22, 08:33
Points: 19,566, Level: 61 Points: 19,566, Level: 61 Points: 19,566, Level: 61
Activity: 4.9% Activity: 4.9% Activity: 4.9%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,679 Times in 244 Posts

That is absolutely INSANE pricing but given she's a fitness model and not a known story writer I can see her charging extra because she just doesn't really wanna do it. I doubt it would be that good either given it's really not in her wheelhouse
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StudCrusher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-Jul-22, 11:58
Points: 2,291, Level: 19 Points: 2,291, Level: 19 Points: 2,291, Level: 19
Activity: 5.3% Activity: 5.3% Activity: 5.3%
Last Achievements

Is there any particular reason you’d want a rando to write a story instead of an actual writer?

Tags
custom stories, customs