Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > The Pioneers

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 26-May-20, 15:50
Points: 11,563, Level: 46 Points: 11,563, Level: 46 Points: 11,563, Level: 46
Activity: 45.2% Activity: 45.2% Activity: 45.2%
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,006 Times in 624 Posts
Default Re: Pioneers Of Mixed Wrestling

As I recall,Ron Dvorkin of California Supreme began filming mixed bouts around the early 1960's.Joan Wise and her husband Larry began filming mixed action around 1977 or 78.
Old 26-May-20, 16:52
Administrator
Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100
Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 115,688 Times in 9,926 Posts

@[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] is Bill Wick. hope he joins the discussion
[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
The Following User Says Thank You to Naji For This Useful Post:
Old 27-May-20, 01:17
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizyz [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
As I recall,Ron Dvorkin of California Supreme began filming mixed bouts around the early 1960's.Joan Wise and her husband Larry began filming mixed action around 1977 or 78.
I was thinking similarly about Dvorkin, he may even have started in the late 50's, although I don't recall where I got that idea. A young Bill Wick appeared in some of Ron Dvorkin's films also.
Old 27-May-20, 14:21
Last Achievements

Bill Wick also was in a super 8mm reel or 2 for Sundance Studios, if I recall correctly.
Old 16-Sep-20, 18:37
Points: 622, Level: 9 Points: 622, Level: 9 Points: 622, Level: 9
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default mixed wrestling vintage

Mixedd wrestling 1970 of mildred burked some of the firs mixed matches
The Following User Says Thank You to elprimo250 For This Useful Post:
Old 16-Sep-20, 21:38
Last Achievements

Default Re: mixed wrestling vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by elprimo250 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Mixedd wrestling 1970 of mildred burked some of the firs mixed matches
right around 1974 or 75 as i recall.
The Following User Says Thank You to bizyz For This Useful Post:
Old 17-Sep-20, 02:53
Points: 20,043, Level: 61 Points: 20,043, Level: 61 Points: 20,043, Level: 61
Activity: 23.8% Activity: 23.8% Activity: 23.8%
Last Achievements

I bought a mixed wrestling movie in the summer of 1964 or 1965 in Times Square. The company that put it out was Peerless. (God, I can't believe I remember that.) I feel confident it was a New York outfit. In fact, I think it had a P.O. Box in NY for an address. It put out out other mixed fighting stuff, too, like illustrated stories. I kind of thought it had some connection with Stanton and Bilbrew and Eneg, because those artists were represented in the same stores on 42nd Street.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cashley216 For This Useful Post:
Old 19-Sep-20, 18:05
Points: 5,185, Level: 30 Points: 5,185, Level: 30 Points: 5,185, Level: 30
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements

Re-read the original question. He didn't appear to be asking about who first produced films/videos, but who started it all.

In literature this sort of activity was always present. From the mixed wrestling story in Arabian nights, accounts of female knights like Bradamante, etc.

However, in the early 1930's an English magazine called LONDON LIFE featured photos of muscular women like Ivy Russell wrestling men. Also, a "Mrs. Clarke". These recountings spawned a series of letters, even one from someone named "Sapper" who might be the author who wrote the books that ultimately were brought to the screen, such as Sumuru. (Bulldog Drummond books. Note that excellent author of MW stories appeared to take his nom de plume from Sapper, naming himself "Sapper, Jr.")

Many of these letters were reprinted in a magazine named FADS AND FANCIES in the late 1940's.

In the U.S., a magazine named GAY BOOK (mid 1930's) also reprinted some of these LONDON LIFE articles and also received many letters wherein the writers recounted their own MW experiences/fantasies.

Such letters also started to appear in the American magazine NIGHT AND DAY in the mid 1950's, sometimes with photos. This magazine also had some stories on strong women, women wrestlers, etc., during that period.

In the late 1940's a number of American salacious photo magazines featured stories of women wrestlers such as Mars Bennett who was a muscular circus acrobat who also wrestled professionally. Claimed she could defeat her husband. Many such articles appeared. E.g., PIC MAGAZINE.

Indeed Bill Jentz and "Tom Jackson" told me that they were inspired by NIGHT AND DAY. Peerless Sales used to advertise in this magazine at that time. The proprietor sold photos, some films and also those 4-page cartoon stories many of which were drawn by Stanton.

At the same time in England the magazine SKILL sold photos and often featured strong women, including wrestlers in their articles. Many of the photos sold by SKILL originated from Orrin Heller. Lots of circus women images. Also female acrobatic dancers, etc.

In fact at that time there were magazines like WORLD ACROBATICS which feature women acrobats and dancers (Apache).

There was also a magazine that originated in South Africa called VIGOR which was promoting a contest to find the world's strongest woman. Early 1960's. They featured many photos of muscular strong women. However, at that time SA was under a UN embargo and this magazine was very difficult to find.

Then Peter VanDuyn started his publications which originally featured acrobats and professional strong women like Joan Rhodes. The first one was called WOMEN'S PHYSICAL CULTURE. Eventually he spawned a number of allied publications which slowly moved into matriarchal themes wherein women dominated men physically. As far as I know, the weekly SPECIAL BULLETIN was the last of these publications.

Bill Jentz started his publications about the time that VanDuyn was winding down. Someone once said to me that VanDuyn suffered from mental illness or had a nervous breakdown. Tina Woodley was once his wife. Someone else told me that he had visited them and that at night he was sexually accosted by Tina. For years afterwards he focused solely on black women athletes.

Mixed Wrestling was associated with all of these publications.

Note that during the 1940's paper was scarce and magazines were also scarce because of the war. However, in the early 1950's many men's adventure magazines started publishing. Many of these featured garish covers and equally garish stories/fantasies. Amazons galore. In the early 1960's a magazine published a story called (from memory) "The Red Shoes" which was about a woman serial murderer who crushed men to death with her legs, breaking their ribs. Many similar works of lesser quality were abundant.

Amazons also were abundant in the pulp magazines of the time (1940's). In particular John Russell Fearn wrote many stories and novels featured a character named "The Golden Amazon" who engaged in many mixed fights. Many of these appeared in the pulp FANTASTIC ADVENTURES and later many novels appeared in Canadian magazine "Star Weekly". Harlequin books (yes, that Harlequin) published a trilogy starting with "The Golden Amazon".

Likely more info than the thread starter expected.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Polyglot For This Useful Post:
Old 25-Nov-22, 13:01
Points: 8,033, Level: 38 Points: 8,033, Level: 38 Points: 8,033, Level: 38
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Recently Instagram closed down the Vintage Amazons Wrestling topic citing too much female nudity. This was a real shame because the site featuring lots of photos from the pioneer days of female and (to a lesser extent) mixed wrestling. There were very many pictures from the European cabaret and nightclub bouts including the shows in Austria, Germany, Czech Republic and France. It is sad that many of these rare photos will be even more difficult to track down, although a Twitter page has partially replaced them.
Instagam's rather puritanical ban was imposed because of the apartment house features where nudity was much in evidence rather than the really vintage stuff where the girls fought in one piece swimsuits, leotards or bikinis. The Amazons page was very comprehensive in its scope with features on Joan Wise, Double Trouble, the Dulongs, vintage Us professional womens wrestling and the gypsy catfight in "From Russia with Love" and many others getting an airing. I shall certainly miss it.
The Following User Says Thank You to laura lover For This Useful Post:
Old 21-Dec-22, 13:03
Producer
Points: 16,577, Level: 56 Points: 16,577, Level: 56 Points: 16,577, Level: 56
Activity: 7.1% Activity: 7.1% Activity: 7.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 4,591 Times in 702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizyz [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Bill Wick also was in a super 8mm reel or 2 for Sundance Studios, if I recall correctly.
Yes he was. I had one of those matches, vs a dark haired girl. Don't remember her name. Lost all my early collections in a move.

Grappling Gals: [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]