Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Wrestling & Fighting Art

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 12-Oct-19, 22:47
Points: 53,122, Level: 100 Points: 53,122, Level: 100 Points: 53,122, Level: 100
Activity: 4.9% Activity: 4.9% Activity: 4.9%
Last Achievements

Thanked 7,279 Times in 508 Posts
Default Ancient Greek Mixed Wrestling

I'm always intrigued with stories about intergender wrestling in ancient Greece. Though not well documented, there's enough evidence to suggest these did occur. Here's a couple of sketches depicting a match...
Attached Images
File Type: png Mixed Roman Wrestling 2.png (64.8 KB, 390 views)
File Type: png Mixed Greek Wrestling 2 - Shoulder Over.png (62.6 KB, 411 views)
Old 14-Oct-19, 04:27
Points: 53,122, Level: 100 Points: 53,122, Level: 100 Points: 53,122, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Default Re: Ancient Greek Mixed Wrestling

A couple more.
Attached Images
File Type: png Mixed Greek Wrestling - Ride.png (69.4 KB, 342 views)
File Type: png Mixed Greek Wrestling - Chicken Wing.png (63.6 KB, 391 views)
Old 14-Oct-19, 04:45
Points: 25,653, Level: 70 Points: 25,653, Level: 70 Points: 25,653, Level: 70
Activity: 11.9% Activity: 11.9% Activity: 11.9%
Last Achievements

Thanked 4,349 Times in 1,043 Posts

Remember some to assasin creed odyssei: kasandra wrestle in pankration.
Old 14-Oct-19, 11:07
Points: 4,620, Level: 28 Points: 4,620, Level: 28 Points: 4,620, Level: 28
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Wow !! Very intriguing topic. I think it is particularly interesting because it must have been a very special experience for men back then, especially if the female was strong and able to win because in ancient wrestling it was really uncommon for women to practice at all especially with men. But maybe in private a really strong woman who had a strong body from physical labor might have challenged her partner… man, I am getting excited just fantasizing about it ! It would be awesome if we could find some more content for this awesome thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by calwrest [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
A couple more.
Where were these from ? I am wondering if this is some historical info or did it derive from the prospering imagination of a fellow mixed wrestling enthusiast. Looks really nice and sparks some amazing images and fantasy within my head
Old 14-Oct-19, 15:54
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon37 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Wow !! Very intriguing topic. I think it is particularly interesting because it must have been a very special experience for men back then, especially if the female was strong and able to win because in ancient wrestling it was really uncommon for women to practice at all especially with men. But maybe in private a really strong woman who had a strong body from physical labor might have challenged her partner… man, I am getting excited just fantasizing about it ! It would be awesome if we could find some more content for this awesome thread

Where were these from ? I am wondering if this is some historical info or did it derive from the prospering imagination of a fellow mixed wrestling enthusiast. Looks really nice and sparks some amazing images and fantasy within my head
The sketches are my own. In researching I ran into a number of references concerning Spartan women who were quite athletic. Wrestling was one of their many activities they competed in. There are several mentions in different history books concerning Spartan women wrestling men, but it's just a mention. The only solid evidence is a Greek vase depicting a wrestling match between Peleus and Atalanta.

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

"...because Atalanta grew to be one of the world's most beautiful women. And despite this, decided to stay a virgin. In addition to her beauty, she could out-race and wrestle any man and was an excellent huntress (like her patron goddess Artemis). For example she beat Peleus (the to-be father of Achilles) in a wrestling match..."
Taken from "The Myth of Atalanta" [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

Even though this is a myth, it sounds like the Greeks contemplated men wrestling women. Sounds like it was fun back in those days!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to calwrest For This Useful Post:
Old 14-Oct-19, 16:08
Administrator
Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100
Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 115,688 Times in 9,926 Posts

Related threads:
- [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naji For This Useful Post:
Old 14-Oct-19, 19:31
Points: 10,048, Level: 43 Points: 10,048, Level: 43 Points: 10,048, Level: 43
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calwrest [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
The sketches are my own. In researching I ran into a number of references concerning Spartan women who were quite athletic. Wrestling was one of their many activities they competed in. There are several mentions in different history books concerning Spartan women wrestling men, but it's just a mention. The only solid evidence is a Greek vase depicting a wrestling match between Peleus and Atalanta.
I too have read that Spartan women were trained in gymnastics, including wrestling.
The Following User Says Thank You to mermao For This Useful Post:
Old 14-Oct-19, 19:49
Points: 4,620, Level: 28 Points: 4,620, Level: 28 Points: 4,620, Level: 28
Last Achievements

Quote:

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

"...because Atalanta grew to be one of the world's most beautiful women. And despite this, decided to stay a virgin. In addition to her beauty, she could out-race and wrestle any man and was an excellent huntress (like her patron goddess Artemis). For example she beat Peleus (the to-be father of Achilles) in a wrestling match..."
Taken from "The Myth of Atalanta" [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

Even though this is a myth, it sounds like the Greeks contemplated men wrestling women. Sounds like it was fun back in those days!
Indeed,my friend, indeed Oh my gosh !! I know what I'm going to be dreaming about tonight. I am going to have me a little ancient dream ! Thanks for the very interesting background information,mate ! Seems like the ancient greeks have had a certain appreciation for strong beautiful women. They must have had good taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermao [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I too have read that Spartan women were trained in gymnastics, including wrestling.
I have heard of that aswell but I did not ever hear about them getting it on wit the boys This thread opened me up to a cool, beautiful little fantasy
Old 16-Oct-19, 14:37
Points: 18,642, Level: 59 Points: 18,642, Level: 59 Points: 18,642, Level: 59
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,615 Times in 271 Posts

You can find more stories:
-Dionisios (Baco) wrestle Palene to married her. She had defeated many suitors and fought back Dionisios bravely, but Dionisios defat her and let her fight back more time, playing with her, because he was enjoying the brush of their bodies.
-Palaestra challenge al the guys to fight, and she discover many wrestling moves, throws and tricks to defeat the guys. If someone can defeat her, the winer can touch her breast. The Good Hermes (Mercury in the roman version) defeat her, married her and make her the demi goddess of wrestling. The have a daughter
-Cyrene was a female shepard in the North Africa. She take out all her clothes to fight a lion body to body and strangle the beast. The good Apolo see her wrestling nacked and they become lovers. He give her a palace and make her the queen of the land, named Cyrenaica by her.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to muarijun For This Useful Post:
Old 16-Oct-19, 21:30
Points: 66,180, Level: 100 Points: 66,180, Level: 100 Points: 66,180, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Thanked 20,715 Times in 964 Posts

There are a lot of things to say about this subject.
The athleticism of Spartan women through their education is well-known, including with the practice of wrestling, but casual or competitive intergender wrestling encounters, while sometimes plausible, stay in the realm of the imagination.

I particularly like an elegy of a Roman poet (Propertius), evoking his admiration of Spartan girls and his regret about a way of life in Rome.
Mixed wrestling is near...

"I admire many of the rules of your training, Sparta, but most of all at the great blessings derived from the girls’ gymnasia, where a girl can exercise her body, naked, without blame, among wrestling men, when the swift-thrown ball eludes the grasp, and the curved rod sounds against the ring, and the woman is left panting at the furthest goal, and suffers bruises in the hard wrestling....
Rome, if you’d only follow the rules and wrestling of Sparta, you’d be dearer to me for that blessing".
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maitsek For This Useful Post: