Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Wrestling & Fighting Discussion

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 31-Jul-19, 07:23
Points: 5,351, Level: 31 Points: 5,351, Level: 31 Points: 5,351, Level: 31
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Default How long does it take for a girl training at bjj to beat an untrained guy?

Context: A friend and I have agreed to have a sparring match in a few months. She's about 2 inches and 30lbs smaller than me, a girly girl, pretty smart, not a traditional athlete but she runs and does a lot of yoga. We wrestled briefly before and I won pretty easily. She started doing bjj recently, just 1-2 days a week, and she wanted the match to prove she can take me after getting some experience after we got into a big trashtalking bout.

I've never had training myself, though I've had lots of casual experience in grappling with friends and girlfriends. I'm quite a bit stronger and more fit than her, she's way more flexible and has good core strength and stamina. I would like to win the match but have it be very competitive (since our first match was one-sided), so for those who have experience with bjj, I was wondering when I should roughly try to schedule the match to achieve that? Knowing her and her mindset, she will do this for long enough and eventually will be able to beat me consistently, so I got to do what I can before then to avoid her getting perma bragging rights.

How many months would you say it takes an average student to reach proficiency where they can beat someone bigger and stronger than them but with no training? What's the learning curve like for a basic proficiency in bjj? Obviously nobody can give a precise answer but just a rough, basic timeline would be useful, thanks!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Germar For This Useful Post:
Old 31-Jul-19, 08:24
Points: 20,860, Level: 63 Points: 20,860, Level: 63 Points: 20,860, Level: 63
Activity: 4.9% Activity: 4.9% Activity: 4.9%
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,288 Times in 454 Posts
Default Re: How long does it take for a girl training at bjj to beat an untrained guy?

I have seem girls of 48kg submitting males of 75 kg after only 4 months of BJJ. As you said, it is hard to give a precise answer, but I would say just 9 months of BJJ will completely change the game and turn tables.

I will be like trying to speak French with someone who has studied it for 9 months when you only know how to say bonjour and merci on your side. You won't even be able what is coming and where it is coming from.
The Following User Says Thank You to funwrestler For This Useful Post:
Old 31-Jul-19, 13:38
Points: 5,012, Level: 30 Points: 5,012, Level: 30 Points: 5,012, Level: 30
Activity: 9.5% Activity: 9.5% Activity: 9.5%
Last Achievements

Default Re: How long does it take for a girl training at bjj to beat an untrained guy?

It is variable based on her natural athleticism but I would say about 6 months given what you've told us in your post. Every month you delay, her chances of winning go up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joulnx10 For This Useful Post:
Old 31-Jul-19, 13:45
Points: 8,126, Level: 38 Points: 8,126, Level: 38 Points: 8,126, Level: 38
Activity: 11.9% Activity: 11.9% Activity: 11.9%
Last Achievements

How long is a piece of string?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to james For This Useful Post:
Old 31-Jul-19, 15:04
Points: 2,902, Level: 22 Points: 2,902, Level: 22 Points: 2,902, Level: 22
Last Achievements

oh james.... my poor poor man. are you a builder by any chance?
Old 31-Jul-19, 20:04
Points: 8,148, Level: 38 Points: 8,148, Level: 38 Points: 8,148, Level: 38
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germar [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Context: A friend and I have agreed to have a sparring match in a few months. She's about 2 inches and 30lbs smaller than me, a girly girl, pretty smart, not a traditional athlete but she runs and does a lot of yoga. We wrestled briefly before and I won pretty easily. She started doing bjj recently, just 1-2 days a week, and she wanted the match to prove she can take me after getting some experience after we got into a big trashtalking bout.

I've never had training myself, though I've had lots of casual experience in grappling with friends and girlfriends. I'm quite a bit stronger and more fit than her, she's way more flexible and has good core strength and stamina. I would like to win the match but have it be very competitive (since our first match was one-sided), so for those who have experience with bjj, I was wondering when I should roughly try to schedule the match to achieve that? Knowing her and her mindset, she will do this for long enough and eventually will be able to beat me consistently, so I got to do what I can before then to avoid her getting perma bragging rights.

How many months would you say it takes an average student to reach proficiency where they can beat someone bigger and stronger than them but with no training? What's the learning curve like for a basic proficiency in bjj? Obviously nobody can give a precise answer but just a rough, basic timeline would be useful, thanks!

It can take two to three years to achieve blue belt, the first beyond white.

That typically means the student has demonstrated an ability to do basics while rolling, such as escapes or submissions.

She might not necessarily tap you as a blue belt, but at the least it would be a more even match.
The Following User Says Thank You to ClckwrkOra For This Useful Post:
Old 31-Jul-19, 22:40
Producer
Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72
Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,448 Times in 1,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germar [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
How many months would you say it takes an average student to reach proficiency where they can beat someone bigger and stronger than them but with no training?
When she develops the will to beat you, she will beat you.

Some people discover this quickly, while others never do.
The Following User Says Thank You to KillerCrushes For This Useful Post:
Old 01-Aug-19, 01:09
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts

I remember Helen Von Mott saying to her yahoo group that a female white belt would "wipe the mat" with the average untrained male office worker. She also opined that Kyla Luciano (who was a blue belt) was only at a high white belt level, lamenting that she wasn't more dedicated to perfecting her skills.
Who am I to question Helen, but she was a bit hyperbolic at times IMO.
Old 01-Aug-19, 06:14
Moderator [D]
Points: 38,244, Level: 85 Points: 38,244, Level: 85 Points: 38,244, Level: 85
Activity: 99.2% Activity: 99.2% Activity: 99.2%
Last Achievements

Thanked 8,512 Times in 2,397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I remember Helen Von Mott saying to her yahoo group that a female white belt would "wipe the mat" with the average untrained male office worker. She also opined that Kyla Luciano (who was a blue belt) was only at a high white belt level, lamenting that she wasn't more dedicated to perfecting her skills.
Who am I to question Helen, but she was a bit hyperbolic at times IMO.
Also here, it depends on strength, will and application of skills! If you send a little girl with 50 Kilos and she is gymanst and want to beat man, she will be able to learn fast to beat 75 Kilos office wimps, but if you send 60 Kilos no sporty office girl, that is not really will to make to much because she fears to get muscles and show bulk (a problem that hav a lot of girls, but they get bulk only if they train daily very very hard) and here priority is not to beat man. She will take maybe 1-2 years...
Old 01-Aug-19, 06:18
Points: 47,294, Level: 95 Points: 47,294, Level: 95 Points: 47,294, Level: 95
Activity: 9.5% Activity: 9.5% Activity: 9.5%
Last Achievements

Thanked 3,424 Times in 784 Posts

I would say probably 2-3 years. In 9 months you'd wipe the floor with her.
The Following User Says Thank You to NewYork For This Useful Post: