Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Community > General Discussion [Off-Topic]

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Andy vs Christian.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-241.

Old 23-Jul-22, 20:58
Points: 3,575, Level: 25 Points: 3,575, Level: 25 Points: 3,575, Level: 25
Activity: 96.2% Activity: 96.2% Activity: 96.2%

Default Re: Heat Wave In The UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminy [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I didnít say it wasnít potentially dangerous. So is snow, so is cold and catching viruses.

You take precautions, use your loaf without being a ninny.
This is the worst heatwave in the history.of the country.

Climate change is real. We are destroying the planet.
The Following User Says Thank You to gamerober90 For This Useful Post:
Old 23-Jul-22, 21:51
Points: 50,510, Level: 98 Points: 50,510, Level: 98 Points: 50,510, Level: 98
Activity: 92.5% Activity: 92.5% Activity: 92.5%
Last Achievements

Thanked 7,530 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamerober90 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
This is the worst heatwave in the history.of the country.

Climate change is real. We are destroying the planet.
I'd be willing to bet my carbon footprint is lower than yours. Do you have a solar panelled roof?

That's why I know about all these weak puny vegans at the farmer's market because I'm there too buying locally sourced organic foods not all this processed factory crap.

I'm doing my part. How about you?
Old 24-Jul-22, 17:39
Points: 6,287, Level: 33 Points: 6,287, Level: 33 Points: 6,287, Level: 33
Activity: 11.5% Activity: 11.5% Activity: 11.5%
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminy [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I'd be willing to bet my carbon footprint is lower than yours.
Carbon footprint is a term made up by the oil industry to try to move things from corporate responsibility to individual responsibility. Individuals have little to no effect whatsoever on carbon emissions on a global scale. If every personal car magically became electric, it still wouldn't change the fact that goods are still shipped inefficiently in massive diesel trucks or that our societies are still set up to be car dependent in the first place. Until as a planet we decide that environmental future is more important than corporate profits, we are absolutely fucked and nothing is going to change. The likelihood of that is somewhere around zero percent though, so we are completely fucked
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GuyIncognito For This Useful Post:
Old 24-Jul-22, 18:02
Points: 8,797, Level: 40 Points: 8,797, Level: 40 Points: 8,797, Level: 40
Activity: 98.1% Activity: 98.1% Activity: 98.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,754 Times in 808 Posts

EVs solve the wrong problem. Like you said (expressed differently), suburbs are what kills the planet. If we had rent control in the cities (yes, I know, this incentivizes people not to care about fixing stuff, so people don't want to build more, that's a separate discussion) and people didn't need to move out to the suburbs, buy a car, care about gas prices, etc., we'd be better off. EV builds don't come for free as far as emissions go, Teslas like to catch on fire, etc. It's not like jiminy's life choices (gas vs. EV, 5 minute showers vs. 60 minute showers, etc.) are going to change the trajectory of anything (unless he has 100 kids or something), the only people who have that power are the billionaires, it just sounded like he was a climate change denier (not that believing in science somehow makes him able to solve the problem though).

In any case, the feedback loops are already there. We're already fucked. The only thing left is mitigation. And you're absolutely right about the corporate gaslighting. "Just stop driving! Take shorter showers! Do your part while we do nothing!"
Old 24-Jul-22, 21:32
Points: 7,230, Level: 36 Points: 7,230, Level: 36 Points: 7,230, Level: 36
Activity: 5.8% Activity: 5.8% Activity: 5.8%
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxiel [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
EVs solve the wrong problem. Like you said (expressed differently), suburbs are what kills the planet. If we had rent control in the cities (yes, I know, this incentivizes people not to care about fixing stuff, so people don't want to build more, that's a separate discussion) and people didn't need to move out to the suburbs, buy a car, care about gas prices, etc., we'd be better off. EV builds don't come for free as far as emissions go, Teslas like to catch on fire, etc. It's not like jiminy's life choices (gas vs. EV, 5 minute showers vs. 60 minute showers, etc.) are going to change the trajectory of anything (unless he has 100 kids or something), the only people who have that power are the billionaires, it just sounded like he was a climate change denier (not that believing in science somehow makes him able to solve the problem though).

In any case, the feedback loops are already there. We're already fucked. The only thing left is mitigation. And you're absolutely right about the corporate gaslighting. "Just stop driving! Take shorter showers! Do your part while we do nothing!"
I have zero interest living in the city. I went to the suburbs for better schools and lower crime rates, much lower. Never moving back to a city.
The Following User Says Thank You to michaelrogers9478 For This Useful Post:
Old 24-Jul-22, 21:46
Points: 6,364, Level: 34 Points: 6,364, Level: 34 Points: 6,364, Level: 34
Activity: 99.0% Activity: 99.0% Activity: 99.0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,023 Times in 418 Posts

The industrial revolution was the first big recent bump in global CO2 emissions, and that was only a few million people industrialising.

Then China moved itself out of poverty, taking 1 billion people with it – and the bump in emissions has only just begun from that.

Over the next 50 years, another 7 billion people will move into the middle classes – this will require thousands of new cities, billions more cars, billions more cows, trillions more chickens, etc. The whole western world could go carbon neutral overnight, and it wouldn't stop emissions going up exponentially over this century .. ESG's just political leverage – the world needs completely different solutions .. No one cares about emissions when they're in poverty.

Old 24-Jul-22, 21:59
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelrogers9478 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I have zero interest living in the city. I went to the suburbs for better schools and lower crime rates, much lower. Never moving back to a city.
Been a small town boy my whole life. Whenever I've ventured into a city I'm always glad to return home. The more rural, the better, in my book.
Old 24-Jul-22, 22:32
Points: 8,797, Level: 40 Points: 8,797, Level: 40 Points: 8,797, Level: 40
Activity: 98.1% Activity: 98.1% Activity: 98.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,754 Times in 808 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelrogers9478 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
That's fine. Cities aren't for everyone. Just saying suburbs shouldn't be the only option.
Old 24-Jul-22, 23:04
Points: 6,364, Level: 34 Points: 6,364, Level: 34 Points: 6,364, Level: 34
Activity: 99.0% Activity: 99.0% Activity: 99.0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,023 Times in 418 Posts

If heatwaves become more severe, cities will turn into ovens .. It will probably make more sense for people to live in forests.
Old 24-Jul-22, 23:17
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxiel [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
it just sounded like he was a climate change denier (not that believing in science somehow makes him able to solve the problem though).

To be clear, my intention wasn't to discuss climate change or whether people are "doing their part"... It's that people (some, not all) specifically in the UK acting like complete namby pambies over a couple of days where the temperature went up to 40C / 104F ... Which isn't even really super hot... These temperatures are common in continental & southern Europe, and many other places in the world.

In Northern Africa - Egypt, Libya, etc, where people like to holiday, temps get up to 50C.

A Spanish guy once said to me most Brits don't know what real heat is, and I believe him. We don't know what real cold is either. If it's -4C that's too cold for most people. If it's snowing too then schools need to be closed, flights grounded, health and safety warnings issued, hysteria drummed up until the meek plebs of the population are hiding under their mattress at home, peeping out every few hours to see if the bad weather is gone. Their only window to the world? Mainstream News. Hanging on Huw Edwards's every word.