Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Community > General Discussion [Off-Topic]

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Andy vs Christian.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-241.

Old 24-Jul-22, 23:43
Points: 8,797, Level: 40 Points: 8,797, Level: 40 Points: 8,797, Level: 40
Activity: 98.1% Activity: 98.1% Activity: 98.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,754 Times in 808 Posts
Default Re: Heat Wave In The UK

Some places don't have the infrastructure to handle it. 6 inches of snow in Boston might not seem like much, but look at what happened in Texas last year. The entire state nearly collapsed. Same thing with heat waves in certain areas (like Seattle last year, where they basically have no A/C). And that "just a couple days" is the beginning, it slowly turns into much longer stretches of heat as the years wear on. Couple this with the growing wealth inequality, the poor will increasingly be left to die (for example, the mainstream news spent hours covering a guy riding out Hurricane Ida in his boat, "I don't get why he would do that!" instead of just giving him some money to skip town for a week.)

People aren't even taking notice. People in the southwest in the US are completely dismissing the water and heat crises as non-issues and continuing to buy overpriced houses, thinking "oh lol our government will find a solution." There are truck drivers in the southwest collapsing while delivering packages because they've somehow normalized "oh A/C is broken, no big deal."

Sometimes safety precautions are the difference between life and death. I've gotten off the highway in a hurry during the start of a rainstorm before, and checked the local city's twitter page a couple hours later to see someone else got in a car crash the same exact spot I got off because they thought they could beat the storm or whatever. These climate events are getting worse and worse, and more and more frequent. It's not that you should panic over 2 days of unpleasantness, but you should come up with a mitigation strategy / escape plan, depending on where you live (usually this hinges on having money, some WFH flexibility, and transferrable job skills). The government won't help you when you're in a bind (indeed, last year the Texas government mostly blamed the other party for evil "green" policies that weren't even implemented, and Cancun Cruz skipped town). Of course global warming is global, but some places are worse to be than others.
Old 25-Jul-22, 00:27
Points: 50,510, Level: 98 Points: 50,510, Level: 98 Points: 50,510, Level: 98
Activity: 92.5% Activity: 92.5% Activity: 92.5%
Last Achievements

Thanked 7,530 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxiel [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
It's not that you should panic over 2 days of unpleasantness, but you should come up with a mitigation strategy / escape plan, depending on where you live (usually this hinges on having money, some WFH flexibility, and transferrable job skills). The government won't help you when you're in a bind (indeed, last year the Texas government mostly blamed the other party for evil "green" policies that weren't even implemented, and Cancun Cruz skipped town). Of course global warming is global, but some places are worse to be than others.
You are preaching to the converted. Like I said earlier, I have an A/C unit at home. I put on winter tyres for the 4 coldest months of the year because I drive a rear wheel drive car. I have a power generator. Water purifier. And I'm in shape if all else breaks down and need to depend on my body to get somewhere and do something. That's the most overlooked thing in modern society. Everyone's a couch potato, streaming their videos, having their food delivered.

That's my point about the media - they don't promote critical thinking skills, they promote hysteria and fear. "There's no toilet rolls left!" ... "We're running out of fuel" ... And look what it makes the public do.
The Following User Says Thank You to jiminy For This Useful Post:
Old 25-Jul-22, 00:38
Points: 8,797, Level: 40 Points: 8,797, Level: 40 Points: 8,797, Level: 40
Activity: 98.1% Activity: 98.1% Activity: 98.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,754 Times in 808 Posts

You're right about that. Beyond money and job flexibility (or ability to adapt to jobs of the future), physical fitness and dental hygiene are crucial for many SHTF scenarios. I won't defend the media. They go on and on about gas prices every single day, yet (usually) say nothing about housing prices (which have gone up just as much, except they make up a much larger portion of your typical budget). In fact it's worse, they sometimes publish articles with "expert economists" (who just happen to work for real estate companies, but they leave that part out) who lie for a living telling us houses are going to go up another 20% this year to try to ruin average Joe's life with a FOMO house purchase.