Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Wrestling & Fighting Discussion > Can women really beat men?

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 15-May-21, 13:19
Points: 14,919, Level: 53 Points: 14,919, Level: 53 Points: 14,919, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Default At what age do teenage guys gain the advantage?

We know that a grown man is typically stronger than an adult female. We know that a female in her 20's is typically stronger than a pre-teenager. At some point in the teenage years things cross to where the average teenage guy is as strong as the average female in her 20's. Then they become stronger then the medium. It's probably 2 different answers depending on upper body and lower body but I have not seen a study on this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to girlylegs For This Useful Post:
Old 15-May-21, 14:20
Points: 24,867, Level: 68 Points: 24,867, Level: 68 Points: 24,867, Level: 68
Activity: 4.8% Activity: 4.8% Activity: 4.8%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,667 Times in 868 Posts
Default Re: At what age do teenage guys gain the advantage?

There are many published studies. One of the most important points is that there is a huge range in strength among both males and females. With that caveat, studies generally show that, on average, boys and girls are more or less equal up to age 12. At 13 boys begin to pull ahead quickly. The boys are generally beginning a rapid growth in strength at that age while girls are starting to level off. By age 14, boys are pulling ahead of adult women and they are substantially stronger by age 15.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to del For This Useful Post:
Old 15-May-21, 15:28
Bevvie97

Quote:
Originally Posted by del [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
There are many published studies. One of the most important points is that there is a huge range in strength among both males and females. With that caveat, studies generally show that, on average, boys and girls are more or less equal up to age 12. At 13 boys begin to pull ahead quickly. The boys are generally beginning a rapid growth in strength at that age while girls are starting to level off. By age 14, boys are pulling ahead of adult women and they are substantially stronger by age 15.
I haven't read any studies concerning this topic, can tell you about my own experiences only.
I started doing judo at age 11, and had been doing it until age 20.
That includes puberty age for most of girls and all boys, when male bodies (a certain gland) starts to produce testosterone hormone and that's why the boys get rapidly stronger. Puberty age itself may start earlier or later, depending probably on genetics, I do not know exactly.
Nevertheless, despite the studies saying boys pull ahead at 13, I dare say that in our team we girls were equally strong to the boys until 14 (to say the least) and agree with you that was different by each person.
I also clearly remember that in cadet age (15-16) the boys were already taller and heavier in average than us girls, and even the same size boys were somewhat stronger than their female counterparts.
But this was an average, and let's not forget that the trainings themselves also increased our strength. I knew a few cadet female judoka, who were definitely stronger than many of my untrained male high-school classmates even at age 15-16.
Lastly, about adult women vs cadet girls. In my experience we were considerably stronger by the end of junior age (20) than 4-5 years earlier. But we had let's say 700 training sessions in those years. In case of untrained girls, I can believe that after age 15 they do not grow stronger, at least not significantly.
In judo junior and senior weight groups are exactly the same (while there is huge difference between males and females).
Junior female judoka have already won World Championship and I think Olympics as well (though not typical). I do not know about similar judoka among males, so I think it can be stated that 20+ men are definitely much stronger than the cadets or even juniors.
Sorry for being that long.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 15-May-21, 23:18
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevvie97 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I haven't read any studies concerning this topic, can tell you about my own experiences only.
I started doing judo at age 11, and had been doing it until age 20.
That includes puberty age for most of girls and all boys, when male bodies (a certain gland) starts to produce testosterone hormone and that's why the boys get rapidly stronger. Puberty age itself may start earlier or later, depending probably on genetics, I do not know exactly.
Nevertheless, despite the studies saying boys pull ahead at 13, I dare say that in our team we girls were equally strong to the boys until 14 (to say the least) and agree with you that was different by each person.
I also clearly remember that in cadet age (15-16) the boys were already taller and heavier in average than us girls, and even the same size boys were somewhat stronger than their female counterparts.
But this was an average, and let's not forget that the trainings themselves also increased our strength. I knew a few cadet female judoka, who were definitely stronger than many of my untrained male high-school classmates even at age 15-16.
Lastly, about adult women vs cadet girls. In my experience we were considerably stronger by the end of junior age (20) than 4-5 years earlier. But we had let's say 700 training sessions in those years. In case of untrained girls, I can believe that after age 15 they do not grow stronger, at least not significantly.
In judo junior and senior weight groups are exactly the same (while there is huge difference between males and females).
Junior female judoka have already won World Championship and I think Olympics as well (though not typical). I do not know about similar judoka among males, so I think it can be stated that 20+ men are definitely much stronger than the cadets or even juniors.
Sorry for being that long.
Thanks, Bevvie, for sharing your experiences here and in other threads. It is good to have a female perspective. I think you are right on with your point about training and I'm sure that some of those trained high school girls were stronger than their untrained male classmates at ages 15-16. I'm curious about how the girl judokas took it as male puberty pushed boys ahead. Could you say something about that? I grew up with a girl who was stronger and tougher than the boys her age and she was always overpowering them and beating them at wrestling and rough games. I think she intended to keep her edge all through high school. At 14 she was still beating athletic boys even as they were growing taller than her, but they soon surpassed her. I think it was hard on her to lose that status as the girl who beats boys. It was even more depressing, or maybe humiliating, when she started getting beaten by a boy that she always had been able to easily defeat.

Last edited by del; 16-May-21 at 15:31.
The Following User Says Thank You to del For This Useful Post:
Old 16-May-21, 13:56
Points: 5,815, Level: 32 Points: 5,815, Level: 32 Points: 5,815, Level: 32
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by del [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
By age 14, boys are pulling ahead of adult women and they are substantially stronger by age 15.
I'd agree with that. Remembering back to high school, when we all turned 13-14, I noticed that guys that were shorter than us our whole lives suddenly shot past us in height.

Yes, this was only the start of their development in strength; it's not as if they became powerhouses overnight. Still, we all began changing in ways that led ultimately to adulthood and the guys' advantage in size in strength was the most visible result of puberty.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Penny Lane For This Useful Post:
Old 16-May-21, 14:38
Points: 14,919, Level: 53 Points: 14,919, Level: 53 Points: 14,919, Level: 53
Last Achievements

So then 14 might be the crossing point where it's even or close to 50/50.
The Following User Says Thank You to girlylegs For This Useful Post:
Old 16-May-21, 14:51
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Lane [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I'd agree with that. Remembering back to high school, when we all turned 13-14, I noticed that guys that were shorter than us our whole lives suddenly shot past us in height.
How did you feel about that?

I remember that when we were 14 that my friends and I were trying to figure out whether we had finally gotten stronger than our mothers. It's like we would no longer be little boys when we passed that benchmark - lol. Most of us didn't want to challenge our moms directly so we were trying to figure it out by watching how easily they could lift heavy things, etc. One kid who we thought was pretty strong had seen his mom lift some furniture to move it and he tried to do the same, but struggled. He was so disappointed in himself - lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to del For This Useful Post:
Old 16-May-21, 19:45
Bevvie97

Quote:
Thanks, Bevvie, for sharing your experiences here and in other threads. It is good to have a female perspective. I think you are right on with your point about training and I'm sure that some of those trained high school girls were stronger than their untrained male classmates at ages 15-16. I'm curious about how the girl judokas took it as male puberty pushed boys ahead. Could you say something about that? I grew up with a girl who was stronger and tougher than the boys her age and she was always overpowering them and beating them at wrestling and rough games. I think she intended to keep her edge all through high school. At 14 she was still beating athletic boys even as they were growing taller than her, but they soon surpassed her. I think it was hard on her to lose that status as the girl who beats boys. It was even more depressing, or maybe humiliating, when she started getting beaten by a boy that she always had been able to easily defeat.
Although the exact situation may be very different for each young judoka (affected by her/his character, age when starts judo, puberty, body size, attitude and intelligence of their parents and close friends, and also dojo climate: teammates and instructors), I try to say something in general.
After the initial let’s say 50-100 training sessions young judoka have a different perspective on fighting than the average (untrained) children/teens. Not even the wildest boys or tomboy girls in the school experience fighting with near the frequency that judoka turning up regularly on training sessions. That’s why they soon get used to wins and losses and do not make a fuss over it. I found that for most of judoka, sparring is fun.
Yet certain level of girls vs guys rivalry was really there in our dojo, I have to admit. I started at age 11, the very age when, I dare say we girls tended to be the slightly stronger sex for 1-2 years. I remember that I myself got used to the fact that I don’t have to be afraid of boys in randori. And it’s true that many boys (especially the younger ones and white-belts) had issues with loosing to girls, more seriously in case of newaza, if they had to tap out, or ended up pinned on the tatami. As far as I know, judo instructors dealing with puberty age children are advised to pay attention to gender issues. In our dojo mixed randori were not usual (while we did many exercises in mixed pairs, where the key parameters were body size and skill level).
When the balance of strength turned to the advantage of guys (after age 14), I wouldn't say we girls were too much disappointed by the fact. We were well aware of it, discussed it but all in all took it quite easy. I do not remember that any of us had major psychological issue when we had to face with that change. Outside the dojo female judoka are not much different from other girls and after puberty age our attitude towards the guys changed a lot
Also I dare say that in general, loosing a judo randori means not exactly the same for a girl and a guy, because the focus points of male pride and female pride are different. Of course I do not say girls like to loose in judo, not at all. But except for those few with champion mindset, average female judoka can take it easier, especially in the rare case we have to face a male opponent.
I’m already too long, but there is another aspect in judo, that you are proud of your belt. Loosing to lower belt opponents is a bit similar to the “guys loosing to girls” problem and it’s irrespective of gender.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 10-Nov-21, 04:52
Banned
Points: 627, Level: 9 Points: 627, Level: 9 Points: 627, Level: 9

I started BJJ at a young age. i felt I was as strong or stronger than all the boys until about 13 and then had to really focus much more on technique to win against them
The Following User Says Thank You to Em3 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-Nov-21, 05:58
Points: 13,908, Level: 51 Points: 13,908, Level: 51 Points: 13,908, Level: 51
Activity: 45.2% Activity: 45.2% Activity: 45.2%
Last Achievements

Thanked 4,438 Times in 903 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlylegs [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
We know that a grown man is typically stronger than an adult female. We know that a female in her 20's is typically stronger than a pre-teenager. At some point in the teenage years things cross to where the average teenage guy is as strong as the average female in her 20's. Then they become stronger then the medium. It's probably 2 different answers depending on upper body and lower body but I have not seen a study on this.
14 is the age where a male is supposed to already be stronger than average for adult females' standards and he is considered weak if he isn't.