Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > The Pioneers

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 10-Aug-22, 00:38
Points: 11,342, Level: 46 Points: 11,342, Level: 46 Points: 11,342, Level: 46
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 1,956 Times in 239 Posts
Default Re: Judell DuLong

here are some pics from the Judell vs Su Lin filmed match. Given they are from an 8mm film shot in late 1974 and no doubt converted to many different medium over they years, not surprisingly, they are a bit grainy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220809-093522.JPG (31.2 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg 20220809-093530.JPG (32.1 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg 20220809-093624.JPG (32.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20220809-093652.JPG (31.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 20220809-093741.JPG (32.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20220809-093810.JPG (30.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20220809-093827.JPG (29.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 20220809-093838.JPG (35.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20220809-093858.JPG (33.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 20220809-093915.JPG (32.8 KB, 53 views)
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Ian270446 For This Useful Post:
Old 13-Aug-22, 12:09
Points: 45,293, Level: 93 Points: 45,293, Level: 93 Points: 45,293, Level: 93
Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 9,921 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by figamapar [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Can anyone tell who is Judell's opponent here.
Its an early match, pre-Pine Valley days.

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
from it same match, it appears
Attached Images
File Type: png j5.png (1.16 MB, 159 views)
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to spent4321 For This Useful Post:
Old 16-Aug-22, 03:05
Points: 3,908, Level: 26 Points: 3,908, Level: 26 Points: 3,908, Level: 26
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvsfforever [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
3dlaserfan - With only 28 posts and almost all devoted to Judell, maybe you have some specific insights into her and Camp Amazon.

Always much more interested in the Pioneers and their contributions, then todays FBB's and BJJ session wrestlers.

Thanks in advance.
I guess I should first make it clear that I had very little direct contact with Judell and her family. I spoke to her over the phone around December of 1983 to place an order, this was around the time of the blow up between Treena and Nancy Skarvan about Treena posing for nude pictures in Hustler, but the phone call was just to place an order. By the way, I typically placed orders three or four times a year, almost always by mail. I can’t remember why on that particular occasion I placed an order by phone, but I remember speaking to her directly. Also, I once wrote a letter to a wrestling magazine after they had published an article about the Amazon. In the letter I thanked the magazine for doing that and urged them to continue to publish articles about the Amazon. The letter was published and Judell sent me a letter thanking me for doing so. On some other occasion I will get into this a little more, but at that time there were two major companies that published pro wrestling magazines and one of them, in 1979 published four different articles about the Amazon but the other major publication never published any articles about amateur women wrestling. I think I might know why but I will save that for another day.

About 99 percent of what I have posted comes from the reports Judell would send to her supporters, she didn’t like to call us customers because she viewed women’s wrestling and boxing not as a commercial activity but as a movement that she wanted to support regardless of whether she made money off of it or not. She emphasized that she would allow any woman in the world to come to the Amazon to train and learn how to wrestle free of charge. And although many of them wrestled in matches that were filmed, photographed or video taped, she emphasized that that was not a pre-condition to train at the Amazon. In fact I think she once said in one of her reports that if any man wanted to see the Amazon in person they could, but only if they brought their wife or girlfriend to the Amazon to train there. Also, although she often complained when she would spend a lot of money to travel somewhere to have a match and the person she was suppose to wrestle no showed. On the other hand, if someone did wrestle her she was very grateful to that person for giving her a match. People reading this who are under 40 might ask, “Well, why didn’t she just go on the internet and see who was looking for matches and contact them by email?” I think it would be very difficult for people under 40 to understand how difficult it was for Judell just to find matches back before the internet. Also, it didn’t exactly help that so many of the other female wrestling companies were putting out topless and nude material, and much of it was scripted. As a result some women were unwilling to wrestle, or else they would not use their real name or else they didn’t want to be filmed wrestling because they feared being associated with something that was widely considered disreputable. I know I already posted on this before, but this is why I think it is so significant that she traveled to Europe in part to encourage the Olympics to include women’s wrestling. This would not have done anything for her personally, nor would it have helped the Amazon, but that was not her priority, promoting unscripted women’s wrestling was her priority. This also explains a practice of hers that was practically unheard of in any retail sector: If someone wanted to order an item by phone they could call her and place the order, and she took pride in the fact that she would send out the order and wait for payment to arrive AFTER she mailed the item out. By that same token, she emphasized that if somebody mailed in an order with a personal check she would never wait for the check to clear, she would send the order out immediately and then hope the check would clear. She realized that she was running a risk that she would get cheated out of payment, but it was a matter of principle to her that her first priority was to support women’s wrestling, not to make a buck for herself. Anyone can talk the talk, but not very many people can or will walk the walk.

But obviously if she was promoting needlecraft I would not have been been interested in that. My first exposure to her was the April 1977 issue of Wrestling Monthly which had a major article on the Amazon. By the way, I am pretty sure that that issue came out in January of 1977. Over time there were many articles about the Amazon in Wrestling Monthly and it’s sister publications Wrestling Revue and the Big Book of Wrestling. This was before I found out about Women Wrestling and Amazons in Action from England, not to mention Fighting Females which came out in the 1990’s. I first ordered from her around early 1980. I did not have a film projector so I only ordered photo sets. Her first video came out in the fall of 1981. I had a Beta VCR by then so I bought quite a few videos from her over the years.

One other aspect of the Amazon that appealed to me was that the women who wrestled were very pretty, but almost always in a girl next door way. With the exceptions of Liz Meles and Cindy Brooks the women did not look like models. Don’t get me wrong, I loved the matches with Cindy Brooks and Liz Meles, but for some reason I always preferred the girl next door look. I especially liked Nancy Skarvan, not just because she was a great wrestler who was ahead of her time,although she was; and not just because she was strikingly pretty, although she was; but because I bought photo sets what I REALLY liked about her was that she had an incredibly expressive face, so you could really see the determination in her face.

Sorry for being so long winded, but it’s hard for me to stop when I think about the Amazon! BTW, I have not posted any materials on this website yet due to technical problems and my technical incompetence, but I hope to post some goodies before the end of the year.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to 3dlaserfan For This Useful Post:
Old 16-Aug-22, 11:38
Banned
Points: 5,899, Level: 32 Points: 5,899, Level: 32 Points: 5,899, Level: 32
Activity: 58.5% Activity: 58.5% Activity: 58.5%

Much appreciated 3Dlaserfan

Well I found SRW, so Amazon I only discovered, much much later thanks to the internet and loved the photosets and the descriptive accounts of the matches, though obviously many of them were fiction.

Just found this for fans of Sports Review Wrestling.

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

After SRW, I would find magazines in adult bookstores and then the first videos I found were a couple of VSL (not very good) along with very fake Golden Girls. Of course I'd see women sporadically on TV during WWF and AWA shows and yes sometimes found GLOW.

As I've said elsewhere the first real video (or so I thought) was Beatrice Goffin vs. Ali Day and then I was hooked on her.

Maybe this should be it's own thread (I'll copy and start elsewhere too).
The Following User Says Thank You to fvsfforever For This Useful Post:
Old 24-Aug-22, 00:01
Points: 4,704, Level: 29 Points: 4,704, Level: 29 Points: 4,704, Level: 29
Last Achievements

Would be great if you could post some pictures from Judell that you have 3Dlaserfan.

AmaPar
The Following User Says Thank You to figamapar For This Useful Post:
Old 24-Aug-22, 02:56
Points: 1,256, Level: 14 Points: 1,256, Level: 14 Points: 1,256, Level: 14
Last Achievements

First off let me say having stumbled into this (HUGE) thread while researching something else, what a great resource of information from several committed experts on DuLong’s Camp Amazon. I’ve learned so much from just reading a portion of this thread. I’ve had a question about one of the Judell films and this is obviously the place to tap the experts.

One of my favorite competitive matches ever has to be Vicky Clark vs Laura Nolan (Spoiler Alert if you wish to see it but haven’t done so). It’s a terrific wrestling match that’s competitive to the end. One of the things I love about it is it features a very rare sea change within the contest. It’s very rare to see a competitive match in which the winner isn’t pretty obvious from watching just the first 60 seconds.

I had questions about the audio track and what looks to be an edit during the second fall. The sound doesn’t seem to sync with the pictures. If this was originally shot on 8mm, did the DuLongs have the facility to incorporate an audio track even in post production? There’s a place at 1:47 into the first fall when one girl asks, “Do you give?” …. “No” A few seconds later a high pitched whimper and a submission must have been earned because they break up the hold.
Further, I have another Judell video (from Rockin’ Rox) that also has this very same exchange between the wrestlers over the action somewhere in the bout.

The other thing that makes me a little suspicious about this match is at about 5:14, which is during the second fall. Vicky who has dominated the match to this point is in pinning position over Laura and has been for some time. Laura, who I thought was a veteran by this match (but do I understand it was her first?) masterfully scissors Vicky’s leg and won’t let it go despite having her arms and shoulders pinned (they should have called the pin and awarded the fall, but that’s another argument). There is an edit here, the camera is now closer and Vicky starts to slide to the side and relinquishes control of the tangle. From this moment on Laura, who had been soundly out muscled by Vicky, takes control of the match.

Between the audio overdub and that edit coming almost to the second when the match changed directions, I wondered if the Dulongs might have done a reset or given a star veteran the sign to take over the match. Now that I watch it again, I can see Vicky starting to slide off- and probably become visibly winded- before the edit point.

A great match and I really fell for Vicky Clark. She was lovely, had a great physique which was obvious in her sexy cut 1-piece suit. She had considerable power too. I would have loved to see her come back for a match with Cindy Brooks. That reminds me, remember in the famous / infamous final match between Treena and Nancy where there was a girl bouncing pointlessly in and out of the ring as if she were the referee, but obviously wasn’t? That young woman had a thick head of blonde hair that to me looked very much like Vicky Clark.
The Following User Says Thank You to MetClub For This Useful Post:
Old 24-Aug-22, 06:39
Points: 3,908, Level: 26 Points: 3,908, Level: 26 Points: 3,908, Level: 26
Last Achievements

My imaging skills are a bit limited compared to just about everyone else on this board but I hope to post some of my Judell Dulong materials before the end of the year.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 3dlaserfan For This Useful Post:
Old 24-Aug-22, 10:12
Banned
Points: 5,899, Level: 32 Points: 5,899, Level: 32 Points: 5,899, Level: 32
Activity: 58.5% Activity: 58.5% Activity: 58.5%

Very much looking forward to it.

Especially liked the photosets that were never filmed and the stories and picture descriptions that accompanied them.
Old 29-Aug-22, 17:50
Administrator
Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100
Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 115,688 Times in 9,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetClub [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
First off let me say having stumbled into this (HUGE) thread
Post approved, was in moderation queue
Old 30-Aug-22, 00:14
Points: 11,342, Level: 46 Points: 11,342, Level: 46 Points: 11,342, Level: 46
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 1,956 Times in 239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetClub [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
That reminds me, remember in the famous / infamous final match between Treena and Nancy where there was a girl bouncing pointlessly in and out of the ring as if she were the referee, but obviously wasn’t? That young woman had a thick head of blonde hair that to me looked very much like Vicky Clark.
I will comment on the Vicky Clarke - Laura Nolan match in a future post, but here want to clarify the point about the Nancy - Treena match. Judell preferred to not have a referee for the matches but to let the girls sort it out between themselves, however, on occasions when a match looked like getting out of hand one of the girls who was present would step in and look to keep the match within the rules. That is exactly what happened here, but the referee is not Vicky Clarke, but Judell's daughter Sharon.

Ian.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian270446 For This Useful Post:

Tags
female wrestling, judell dulong, oldies