Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Wrestling & Fighting Discussion > Can women really beat men?



Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Warrior Amazon vs Duncan (onslaught).
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-226.




Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-May-20, 12:38
garcon55 garcon55 is offline
Banned
Points: 7,336, Level: 36 Points: 7,336, Level: 36 Points: 7,336, Level: 36
Activity: 16.9% Activity: 16.9% Activity: 16.9%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 615
Thanks: 19
Thanked 390 Times in 194 Posts
Default Question: are male BJJ fighters more technical than female fighters

I have one specific question for people being specialists of BJJ, or practicing/competing themselves.

I have once read an interview of a female BJJ champion who was asked about how she would compare to another male champion (donīt remember the names sorry). She answered that she could only dream about having "half of his game".

I donīt want to say that some women canīt have more skills than some men. I am just wondering weather there is in BJJ the same technical discrepency between male and female as there is in soccer or in tennis, where people knowing these sports recognize as very large.

Is it like in some sports like climbing where this difference doesnīexist or is there really one? It seemed to me that UFC male fighters were significantly more skilled but they are also faster and more powerful, and as a non-specialist, it is difficult to separate both aspects.
  #2  
Old 08-May-20, 13:15
ssddfaudhey ssddfaudhey is offline
Member
Points: 7,750, Level: 37 Points: 7,750, Level: 37 Points: 7,750, Level: 37
Activity: 29.6% Activity: 29.6% Activity: 29.6%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 552
Thanks: 740
Thanked 519 Times in 286 Posts
Default Re: Question: are male BJJ fighters more technical than female fighters

My wife trains in BJJ purple belt,I've trained on and off for a few yrs as well.Most who train will tell you women are often more technical in bjj.As they can't rely on strength as much as guys can.They need to execute most techniques perfectly in order to be effective.They can also be very crafty.From my experience when rolling women in bjj,when they get you they REALLY got you!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ssddfaudhey For This Useful Post:
  #3  
Old 08-May-20, 13:19
garcon55 garcon55 is offline
Banned
Points: 7,336, Level: 36 Points: 7,336, Level: 36 Points: 7,336, Level: 36
Activity: 16.9% Activity: 16.9% Activity: 16.9%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 615
Thanks: 19
Thanked 390 Times in 194 Posts
Default Re: Question: are male BJJ fighters more technical than female fighters

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssddfaudhey [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
My wife trains in BJJ purple belt,I've trained on and off for a few yrs as well.Most who train will tell you women are often more technical in bjj.As they can't rely on strength as much as guys can.They need to execute most techniques perfectly in order to be effective.They can also be very crafty.From my experience when rolling women in bjj,when they get you they REALLY got you!
so you mean BJJ women are in general more technical than BJJ men?

The argument that they have to compensate for their lower strength seems to make sens but i am wondering why it doesnīt work with other sports like soccer or tennis where i am coming from?
  #4  
Old 08-May-20, 13:33
KillerCrushes's Avatar
KillerCrushes KillerCrushes is offline
Producer
Points: 18,915, Level: 59 Points: 18,915, Level: 59 Points: 18,915, Level: 59
Activity: 38.9% Activity: 38.9% Activity: 38.9%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Gender: Male
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,267
Thanks: 618
Thanked 1,471 Times in 627 Posts
Default Re: Question: are male BJJ fighters more technical than female fighters

No.

Assuming a similar starting point, similar fighter IQ, and no handicaps, a female with 10,000 hours of training has about the same level of technical knowledge as a male with 10,000 hours of training.

Strength and flexibility may be different.
__________________
[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KillerCrushes For This Useful Post:
  #5  
Old 08-May-20, 13:58
garcon55 garcon55 is offline
Banned
Points: 7,336, Level: 36 Points: 7,336, Level: 36 Points: 7,336, Level: 36
Activity: 16.9% Activity: 16.9% Activity: 16.9%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 615
Thanks: 19
Thanked 390 Times in 194 Posts
Default Re: Question: are male BJJ fighters more technical than female fighters

Alright but can it be that since there are much less women competing in BJJ, and that since the pool of female fighters is much smaller, then a female champion would be significantly less skilled than a male champion?

I think this also plays a big role in soccer where male players are so much more numerous that the best males are of course much better than the best females.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to garcon55 For This Useful Post:
  #6  
Old 08-May-20, 14:05
Grappler86 Grappler86 is offline
Member
Points: 9,250, Level: 41 Points: 9,250, Level: 41 Points: 9,250, Level: 41
Activity: 3.7% Activity: 3.7% Activity: 3.7%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 321
Thanks: 217
Thanked 356 Times in 138 Posts
Default Re: Question: are male BJJ fighters more technical than female fighters

"technical" means many things. Is speed and reflexes technique too? For many fighters yes, because these factors influence the performance, so...
You may understand that on a board like this very few would admit that. Anyway an Italian female fencing champion said on tv that males are usually much more technical than women ��*♂️ i don't know...
  #7  
Old 08-May-20, 14:29
garcon55 garcon55 is offline
Banned
Points: 7,336, Level: 36 Points: 7,336, Level: 36 Points: 7,336, Level: 36
Activity: 16.9% Activity: 16.9% Activity: 16.9%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 615
Thanks: 19
Thanked 390 Times in 194 Posts
Default Re: Question: are male BJJ fighters more technical than female fighters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grappler86 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
"technical" means many things. Is speed and reflexes technique too? For many fighters yes, because these factors influence the performance, so...
You may understand that on a board like this very few would admit that. Anyway an Italian female fencing champion said on tv that males are usually much more technical than women ��*♂️ i don't know...
Yes i guess, speed and reflexes influence the techniques. I read also about fencing that men were quicker and more explosive, that is why they were better. To which extent can one call that technique, i donīt know. In tennis for example, this is more about how you control the trajectories and the ball, and coordinate your moves. And elite men are significantly more technical than elite women, even without considering speed or reflexes. There are basically technical moves that you almost never see in female competitions, that men do routinely.
  #8  
Old 08-May-20, 14:42
Grappler86 Grappler86 is offline
Member
Points: 9,250, Level: 41 Points: 9,250, Level: 41 Points: 9,250, Level: 41
Activity: 3.7% Activity: 3.7% Activity: 3.7%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 321
Thanks: 217
Thanked 356 Times in 138 Posts
Default Re: Question: are male BJJ fighters more technical than female fighters

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon55 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Yes i guess, speed and reflexes influence the techniques. I read also about fencing that men were quicker and more explosive, that is why they were better. To which extent can one call that technique, i donīt know. In tennis for example, this is more about how you control the trajectories and the ball, and coordinate your moves. And elite men are significantly more technical than elite women, even without considering speed or reflexes. There are basically technical moves that you almost never see in female competitions, that men do routinely.
I talked about speed and reflexes because if you think faster your moves, then there are chances you have a higher "fight iq"... But it's true what you say about coordination too.
  #9  
Old 08-May-20, 14:51
ClckwrkOra ClckwrkOra is offline
Member
Points: 7,333, Level: 36 Points: 7,333, Level: 36 Points: 7,333, Level: 36
Activity: 20.4% Activity: 20.4% Activity: 20.4%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,214
Thanks: 315
Thanked 789 Times in 479 Posts
Default Re: Question: are male BJJ fighters more technical than female fighters

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon55 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I have one specific question for people being specialists of BJJ, or practicing/competing themselves.

I have once read an interview of a female BJJ champion who was asked about how she would compare to another male champion (donīt remember the names sorry). She answered that she could only dream about having "half of his game".

I donīt want to say that some women canīt have more skills than some men. I am just wondering weather there is in BJJ the same technical discrepency between male and female as there is in soccer or in tennis, where people knowing these sports recognize as very large.

Is it like in some sports like climbing where this difference doesnīexist or is there really one? It seemed to me that UFC male fighters were significantly more skilled but they are also faster and more powerful, and as a non-specialist, it is difficult to separate both aspects.


As women generally have less lean muscle than men pound-for-pound, females presumably would need better technique.

BJJ submissions usually do not require much strength, as the art's purpose is to let a smaller/weaker person defeat someone larger/stronger.



[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

  #10  
Old 08-May-20, 15:26
garcon55 garcon55 is offline
Banned
Points: 7,336, Level: 36 Points: 7,336, Level: 36 Points: 7,336, Level: 36
Activity: 16.9% Activity: 16.9% Activity: 16.9%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 615
Thanks: 19
Thanked 390 Times in 194 Posts
Default Re: Question: are male BJJ fighters more technical than female fighters

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClckwrkOra [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
As women generally have less lean muscle than men pound-for-pound, females presumably would need better technique.

BJJ submissions usually do not require much strength, as the art's purpose is to let a smaller/weaker person defeat someone larger/stronger.



[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

I am not discussing the issue of strength vs technique here. Women are also less quick and powerful than men and would require more technique in soccer.
but they donīt have it.
The Following User Says Thank You to garcon55 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hot female MMA fighters jovanzi Women's MMA 41 14-Feb-21 16:01
Top female fighters vs the world Mikegauger Wrestling & Fighting Discussion 18 10-Mar-20 18:33
Are female fighters more dominant? Deinemutter Wrestling & Fighting Discussion 6 12-Oct-19 12:12
CM Punk VS Female UFC Fighters HeadScissorFan Wrestling & Fighting Discussion 9 18-Jun-18 19:45
Please help id female fighters c4s david230 Wrestling & Fighting Discussion 0 29-Aug-16 17:44


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:54.


Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.