Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Wrestling & Fighting Discussion > Can women really beat men?

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 09-Mar-20, 13:05
Points: 225, Level: 4 Points: 225, Level: 4 Points: 225, Level: 4
Activity: 99.0% Activity: 99.0% Activity: 99.0%

Default Scientific study finds average man punches 162% harder than woman (even athletes)

this was making the rounds on reddit a few weeks ago. It's been known men punch harder, but it was found that average man punch 162% harder.

the men also punched considerably harder than the athletic females.

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

even the weakest male punched harder than the strongest female

a subreddit called TwoXChromsomes (a subreddit for women to post about their experiences) discuss this study and their personal experiences of when they wrestled their SO/male friends and were shocked at just how much stronger men were.

some of these women are athletic and still were shocked that their average looking boyfriends were able to overpower them so easily.

discuss
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ben88i9 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-Mar-20, 15:14
Points: 24,867, Level: 68 Points: 24,867, Level: 68 Points: 24,867, Level: 68
Activity: 4.8% Activity: 4.8% Activity: 4.8%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,667 Times in 868 Posts
Default Re: Scientific study finds average man punches 162% harder than woman (even athletes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben88i9 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
this was making the rounds on reddit a few weeks ago. It's been known men punch harder, but it was found that average man punch 162% harder.

the men also punched considerably harder than the athletic females.

even the weakest male punched harder than the strongest female

a subreddit called TwoXChromsomes (a subreddit for women to post about their experiences) discuss this study and their personal experiences of when they wrestled their SO/male friends and were shocked at just how much stronger men were.

some of these women are athletic and still were shocked that their average looking boyfriends were able to overpower them so easily.

discuss
The study is not about punching power, since they used a strength test only. It is about potential punching power. Actual punching power depends on technique as well as strength.

If they did a different study consisting of average 130-150 pound men and female professional fighters in the same weight class, the results would have been different. Even more so if they measured the power of actual punches, rather than the strength of the muscles used in punching.

To me the interesting thing is not the question of whether men are generally stronger than women. Of course they are! But it is interesting to consider how elite a woman has to be to be on par with an average man, or an average man in her weight class. Or a somewhat above average man.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to del For This Useful Post:
Old 09-Mar-20, 15:17

Default Re: Scientific study finds average man punches 162% harder than woman (even athletes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by del [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
The study is not about punching power, since they used a strength test only. It is about potential punching power. Actual punching power depends on technique as well as strength.

If they did a different study consisting of average 130-150 pound men and female professional fighters in the same weight class, the results would have been different. Even more so if they measured the power of actual punches, rather than the strength of the muscles used in punching.

To me the interesting thing is not the question of whether men are generally stronger than women. Of course they are! But it is interesting to consider how elite a woman has to be to be on par with an average man, or an average man in her weight class. Or a somewhat above average man.
Of course a female fighter can punch more effectively. nobody in this study is a fighter

even the athletic females were less powerful than the average guys, which is interesting because it correlates to that thread on TwoXChromsomes, which is full of athletic women being shocked at how easily their boyfriends beat them in wrestling

it's interesting cos i remember wrestling my friend who is a volleyball player and gymnast and i beat her quite easily. obviously if she was trained id lose but she isn't
The Following User Says Thank You to Ben88i9 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-Mar-20, 15:45
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben88i9 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Of course a female fighter can punch more effectively. nobody in this study is a fighter

even the athletic females were less powerful than the average guys, which is interesting because it correlates to that thread on TwoXChromsomes, which is full of athletic women being shocked at how easily their boyfriends beat them in wrestling

it's interesting cos i remember wrestling my friend who is a volleyball player and gymnast and i beat her quite easily. obviously if she was trained id lose but she isn't
Yes - one of the stories there really resonates with my past:
I have twins (Boy and Girl) that started together at 9 years old. My daughter was bigger and stronger, better at Jiu Jitsu. Her nickname was "Armbar". She beat the crap out of him every class. By 13, it stopped. My boy hit puberty and started owning my daughter on the mats
A neighbor girl was stronger and tougher than the boys her age growing up. She beat them at backyard wrestling, strength contests, and all kinds of rough games. She was the girl who beat boys for years, and she fully intended to keep it up through high school. I think she was 14 when the first boy her age beat her, and the younger boys were owning her in a year or two. It was a reality check for sure.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to del For This Useful Post:
Old 09-Mar-20, 15:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by del [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Yes - one of the stories there really resonates with my past:
I have twins (Boy and Girl) that started together at 9 years old. My daughter was bigger and stronger, better at Jiu Jitsu. Her nickname was "Armbar". She beat the crap out of him every class. By 13, it stopped. My boy hit puberty and started owning my daughter on the mats
A neighbor girl was stronger and tougher than the boys her age growing up. She beat them at backyard wrestling, strength contests, and all kinds of rough games. She was the girl who beat boys for years, and she fully intended to keep it up through high school. I think she was 14 when the first boy her age beat her, and the younger boys were owning her in a year or two. It was a reality check for sure.
wow that's really interesting. I wonder whether she went through an identity crisis of sorts. Cos that age range usually the ability to beat people up is a status and identity symbol.
Old 14-Mar-20, 18:53
Last Achievements

Quote:
wow that's really interesting. I wonder whether she went through an identity crisis of sorts. Cos that age range usually the ability to beat people up is a status and identity symbol.
I tried to message you but your mailbox is full.
Old 09-Mar-20, 17:02
Last Achievements

Quote:
Yes, a big part of her identity was that she was stronger and tougher than boys, and everyone knew it. She was a tomboy with broad shoulders, biceps that were bigger and harder than those of the boys, and she loved rough play. She looked down on girls as being pitifully weak and fragile and I think she saw herself as someone who would never be like them. Then one day a boy forced her arm down in arm wrestling when she was going all out to win. Later she struggled desperately, with all of her might but he still managed pin her down wrestling. And it happened again. Earlier, she used to say that she liked beating boys. After this, she got pretty demoralized and started saying she wished she was a boy. As the younger boys caught up and started owning her as well, she gave up even trying and became withdrawn, depressed. It took her a long time to get over it. Since then, I've encountered her only once many years later. We we shook hands in a reception line at a funeral and she dang near crushed my hand.

Last edited by del; 09-Mar-20 at 17:35.
The Following User Says Thank You to del For This Useful Post:
Old 09-Mar-20, 17:17
Points: 6,287, Level: 33 Points: 6,287, Level: 33 Points: 6,287, Level: 33
Activity: 7.1% Activity: 7.1% Activity: 7.1%
Last Achievements

Well Ben has hit on why this is a fantasy that people explore here. I am a female athlete. I played volleyball and was always what people considered thick and strong looking. After college I got into powerlifting. But being athletic makes you more acutely aware that a trained female is still only as strong as an average dude. A USPA national record for a womans bench is around 250 pounds for a 150- 180 pound female. Male athletes bench 225 for 30 reps. If women were stronger than men then this would hardly be a fantasy where people write stories now would it?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BeckyLawe For This Useful Post:
Old 09-Mar-20, 18:54
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyLawe [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
But being athletic makes you more acutely aware that a trained female is still only as strong as an average dude.
As an average dude who has spent most of my life among men and women who are predominantly average, I think that you being as strong as an average dude is pretty spectacular!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to del For This Useful Post:
Old 09-Mar-20, 19:14

Quote:
Yes, a big part of her identity was that she was stronger and tougher than boys, and everyone knew it. She was a tomboy with broad shoulders, biceps that were bigger and harder than those of the boys, and she loved rough play. She looked down on girls as being pitifully weak and fragile and I think she saw herself as someone who would never be like them. Then one day a boy forced her arm down in arm wrestling when she was going all out to win. Later she struggled desperately, with all of her might but he still managed pin her down wrestling. And it happened again. Earlier, she used to say that she liked beating boys. After this, she got pretty demoralized and started saying she wished she was a boy. As the younger boys caught up and started owning her as well, she gave up even trying and became withdrawn, depressed. It took her a long time to get over it. Since then, I've encountered her only once many years later. We we shook hands in a reception line at a funeral and she dang near crushed my hand.
i wonder if she was into guys dominating her when she got older? ive known some dominatrixes who told me they like it when a guy dominates them as their personal sexual preference.

either way its always sad to base one's self worth on external factor, whether that be the best fighter or having a good job etc. it's not easy for women with self esteem.