Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Community > General Discussion [Off-Topic]

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 07-Jun-21, 21:14
Points: 11,563, Level: 46 Points: 11,563, Level: 46 Points: 11,563, Level: 46
Activity: 45.2% Activity: 45.2% Activity: 45.2%
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,006 Times in 624 Posts
Default Re: Politics on sites

I could just imagine the debates that would ensue between a session girl wo would be a hard core trump qanon supporter and a guy who would be a democrat.
Old 07-Jun-21, 21:59
Producer
Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72
Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,448 Times in 1,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garytheanimal [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I guess you could say I was virtue signalling if you didn’t like my post, another view could be I was asking your opinion. I can see that albeit you’re trying to hide it with humour, I’ve hit a nerve. That wasn’t my intention. I was very reserved in my comments here, but the reality is that on other forums I’m far less reserved on particular subjects, and I’d not get much use out of a safe space.

The breakdown : you basically repeated what I’d said, you understand what I was getting at, but you just wanted to take the long way around to say it in an attempt to make me look trollish. You seem very defensive.

I use Social Media to keep up to date with sites and producers, its probably the best advertising tool available, it’s not there to push an agenda.
Oh, don't worry about any nerves being hit over here. I'm 50 and WELL beyond giving a fuck about pretty much anything. Because I'm so America-centered, I don't think it fully registered with me at first that you're not in the U.S., so our perspectives might not be anywhere near the same arena, regardless of which lane either of us is in. I don't think I was aware that the particular term I called out is something being used elsewhere in the world.

That said, I disagree in a very general sense about the purpose of social media. It can be all things and yet none of the things, both all at once and never. I respect your right to disagree, but I don't think everyone needs to view or use social media the same way as the next guy. That last point - in my humble opinion - should not be controversial. They're using their social media in a way that you don't like and to your credit, you're not lambasting them publicly or asking others to boycott them. But at the same time, if they're not advocating harm, I would argue that what they are doing is acceptable even if I myself would not use our company's platforms for any particular political purposes that might be perceived as polarizing. Businesses know their customers better than you or I do, though, so they are allowed to make different choices than we might make. If you like the product, you are well within your rights to share your thoughts with them about how they can potentially earn back your business.

A lot of non-political forum hosts don't want much - if any politics - on their forums, because the conversations can bring so much toxicity, which can make their boards less welcoming. Naji has a business to run, and most of us respect his rules in that regard. I think social media is a different sort of vehicle, but that doesn't mean my take is the "correct" one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verscont [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Is that like 'Complaints about trolling...by trolling:'

Normally I like reading your interesting posts. And of course, your main point here is a good one - being that producers don't give a toss about your politics or theirs, they just want your money.

But nobody was trolling here. And the OP's question seemed genuine. Whether or not you agree with everything he said, there was no need to jump in with what is clearly an unnecessary and - as far as I know, uncharacteristic - personal attack. It does you no credit at all, and I'm sorry to have to say that.

I hope you wake up feeling less grumpy and spiteful tomorrow; I for one would prefer to have the 'old' you back.
100% trolling by way of trolling! And thanks for the kind words. I'm into thought exercises, even if they might make others uncomfortable. No, I don't have the "right" to make anyone grow or to make anyone want to grow, but I do float challenges out into the public spaces, because they can provide opportunities for others. For some - many, even - it can be very unsettling, and for me, it's OK that it's unsettling. Billions of people in the world, none of us needs to have a working relationship with ALL of them.

Wait, you called my post a personal attack. But OP said I was "defensive"?? #messageboardninja

What do you think the original question was? Of course, he's here, so I supposed I could ask him for clarification, but is he asking whether companies *should* openly discuss politics on social media? Or is he asking whether it's *allowed* (as he seems to suggest when stating "what SM is there for")?

As a company, we choose to avoid politics, because for us, the politics of business is "no politics". Whatever I say on my personal twitter is my business, but I'm only on IG for business purposes and my engagement on there aligns with our company policy. It's safe to say that a lot of businesses operate similarly, but there are also a lot of business who cater more to what we refer to in the U.S. as "left" or "right". Again, that goes to businesses knowing their customers. I also know that customers are hard to come by and it's much easier to keep an existing customer than to find a new customer.

When I make any statement about FOSTA-SESTA, it's with regard to protecting all sites' ability to publish legal content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnate [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I like the above statement, and I agree with it in principle. The fringes...either fringe (extreme left and extreme right) are equally a "turn off" to me personally (and I assume to a lot of 'moderates')

Another poster mentioned something which I take to mean "If you don't like a company's (or session provider's) political messaging, you can either chose to buy their product regardless, or you can decide to withhold your patronage.

That is 100% true, and it is true that it is a value-judgement. I can't think of a time that I felt so strongly about any political stance that I actually boycotted a product or service being provided just because of the provider's political messaging. But that's just how I roll. Other people may feel differently.
It's probably safe to argue that most people's views and behaviors are close to yours. Boycotts can sometimes be effective, but most are short-lived and are often mostly or entirely offset by buycotts. At the end of the day, most U.S. consumers care more about the value they get than they do about how the sausage is made.

Last edited by KillerCrushes; 07-Jun-21 at 22:06.
Old 07-Jun-21, 22:34
Points: 4,719, Level: 29 Points: 4,719, Level: 29 Points: 4,719, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizyz [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I could just imagine the debates that would ensue between a session girl wo would be a hard core trump qanon supporter and a guy who would be a democrat.
I assume the above post was supposed to have an element of humor to it.
To be 100% serious though, IMHO the only time it is good to mix politics with mixed wrestling is if it is presented in a purely "fantasy" context.

A progressive-left female fighter vs male alt-right trump supporter mixed fight makes for a great role-play scenario. As does the inverse (right-wing female vs left-wing male.) Within the context of a fantasy, it seems like a cool idea.

If there was an earnest large-difference of political opinion, and the contestants brought it into the match however, it would no longer be as fun.
Old 08-Jun-21, 03:27
Points: 7,346, Level: 36 Points: 7,346, Level: 36 Points: 7,346, Level: 36
Activity: 33.3% Activity: 33.3% Activity: 33.3%
Last Achievements

Are you mad that they're expressing a political opinion or are you mad that they're expressing a political opinion that differs from yours, because 99% of the time when people complain about this, it's for the second reason. It's telling Lebron to "Shut up and dribble" while celebrating how Ted Nugent speaks his mind. I don't have an issue with people expressing their views if that's what they want to do and I can make a value judgment on how that effects me and if it's a business, if I want to still do business with them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GuyIncognito For This Useful Post:
Old 08-Jun-21, 03:43
Points: 11,051, Level: 45 Points: 11,051, Level: 45 Points: 11,051, Level: 45
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,030 Posts

Yep. They're humans. They may be running a business, but also a personal one and don't always feel like keeping separate accounts for everything. I've had a couple session girls randomly bring up political stuff during sessions, luckily at the very end of sessions. Their views may bother me, but it can be useful to know how many of your "neighbors" feel a certain way, and it's not too hard to figure out what led them to feel passionate about certain things. Even if you hate a certain politician, you can't hate everyone who voted for him/her.

Easy enough to just unfollow people you dislike.
Old 08-Jun-21, 03:50
Points: 4,719, Level: 29 Points: 4,719, Level: 29 Points: 4,719, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyIncognito [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Are you mad that they're expressing a political opinion or are you mad that they're expressing a political opinion that differs from yours, because 99% of the time when people complain about this, it's for the second reason. It's telling Lebron to "Shut up and dribble" while celebrating how Ted Nugent speaks his mind. I don't have an issue with people expressing their views if that's what they want to do and I can make a value judgment on how that effects me and if it's a business, if I want to still do business with them.
Unless I am lying to myself/kidding myself (which I guess is technically possible) I really do mean that I don't particularly want to hear about ANY political opinions in business advertising/marketing, regardless of whether or not I happen to agree or disagree with that political opinion.
Same goes for the mixed wrestling scene: I'd prefer that session wrestlers not express their political views whatsoever on the account they use to market session wrestling. Now I know on this thread some have argued "maybe so-and-so doesnt want to have separate "business" and "personal" social media accounts. And that is certainly "so and so's" prerogative. I just prefer my mixed wrestling politics-free. I also prefer my athletic footwear advertisements and mass-market entertainment to be politics free.

Earlier in the thread, I covered how the "old school" mentality in business-marketing was to avoid political messages and just market your product or service, because you want as universal an appeal as possible. I think its a bit of a generational gap. There is a newer cohort of business leaders that believe in socially responsible marketing, socially responsible investing, etc. To me, the whole thing is off-putting.

Last edited by magnate; 08-Jun-21 at 04:04.
Old 08-Jun-21, 03:58
Points: 11,051, Level: 45 Points: 11,051, Level: 45 Points: 11,051, Level: 45
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,030 Posts

It doesn't really sound like a casual escape from everyday life tbh. That would be doing some sessions and buying some videos. Following everyone on twitter, reading their posts daily or weekly is quite a bit more. Some of them are going to post personal opinions, whether about politics, bitcoin, or how their professor is mean to them. That's just life. Many political issues from the past couple years hit quite close to home for many people, and affect many people's lives, so they will voice their opinions.

Quote:
There is a newer cohort of business leaders that believe in socially responsible marketing, socially responsible investing, etc. To me, the whole thing is off-putting.
lol

Last edited by uxiel; 08-Jun-21 at 04:50.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uxiel For This Useful Post:
Old 10-Jun-21, 16:29
Moderator [D]
Points: 38,244, Level: 85 Points: 38,244, Level: 85 Points: 38,244, Level: 85
Activity: 99.2% Activity: 99.2% Activity: 99.2%
Last Achievements

Thanked 8,511 Times in 2,397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizyz [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Just who are these producers and what are they saying?
Exact! Quickly the forum can turn in acid! That some german members can confirm. Good friends can quickly turn in enemy because one is more left and the other is more right. Who likes to talk politics, should move to a politic forum.
Old 03-Oct-21, 00:53
Points: 105, Level: 2 Points: 105, Level: 2 Points: 105, Level: 2
Activity: 2.0% Activity: 2.0% Activity: 2.0%

Chun Li Re: Politics on sites

Are you talking about on their blogs, or social media sites, or on their brand as a whole?

I'm for talking about it, as long as it's an open discussion, and not an attempt to ban someone from a site--censorbook or other--to freely express ideas, and have an understanding of the difference of opinion...but not to oppress the differences of opinions. Or, oppressing facts that others may find against the lamestream media.
Old 03-Oct-21, 05:39
Poet
Points: 7,214, Level: 36 Points: 7,214, Level: 36 Points: 7,214, Level: 36
Activity: 47.6% Activity: 47.6% Activity: 47.6%
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,142 Times in 305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ours01 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Exact! Quickly the forum can turn in acid! That some german members can confirm. Good friends can quickly turn in enemy because one is more left and the other is more right. Who likes to talk politics, should move to a politic forum.
Man, you are so right.🙂