Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Wrestling & Fighting Discussion

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 13-May-20, 17:19
Points: 11,051, Level: 45 Points: 11,051, Level: 45 Points: 11,051, Level: 45
Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,030 Posts
Default Re: Is the coronavirus outbreak affecting session wrestling?

How long does a test take? Still 3-4 days? If so, what's the point? Fresh is meaningless. I would recommend just don't do sessions until we know more and have a more stable testing environment, at a minimum.
Old 13-May-20, 18:35
Producer
Points: 8,796, Level: 40 Points: 8,796, Level: 40 Points: 8,796, Level: 40
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Hence I said, "the only way that is somewhat safe"

Make no mistake, I am also advocating against people doing sessions (even though it means lost income for us).

Although, just to play devil's advocate: test turnaround times differ in each country (even down to specific locations). Here, I have a hospital lab nearby that gives PCR test results back on the same day, most of the time. You come in the morning, you get a text/email in the afternoon. That only leaves you with a short time to get infected before your evening session. Also, IIRC, you don't start shedding the virus immediately upon exposure. Thus, it is technically possible to have a session and be somewhat safe, if one plays the cards right. I still don't recommend it in general.

On the other hand, if the tests take 4 days, it's getting into quite meaningless territory indeed. As you start being infectious about 2.5 days before developing symptoms, on average, and you are actually most contagious the day before symptoms onset, so with the symptoms onset starting typically 4-14 days after infection, a 4 days old test, plus say a day or two to travel to session location, could ironically bring you onto the mats in your most contagious phase, if the odds and timing get stacked against you.
Old 13-May-20, 19:20
Producer
Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72
Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,448 Times in 1,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by -AJ- [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
For anyone thinking of sessions before we have a definite cure and/or vaccine: the only way that is somewhat safe is if you both bring a fresh negative test. Not the antibody one, the antigen one. That’s currently the PCR test.
Given the ways and ease with which the virus is transmitted and the fact that it can survive outside a live host for some non-specific amount of time - from a few hours up to 2-3 days on plastic and stainless steel (source: [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]) - someone's recent test status is just a data point, nothing more.

My hypothesis? Test positive for the antibodies and then roll the dice that you probably won't be (re)infected in the same season. Of course, the information is changing daily, so I could be completely wrong in 24 hours from now.

Thank you for referencing "viral load" in your earlier post. I wish more people understood this concept. One can be exposed and infected and be perfectly fine because the immune system has the ammunition to fight... but if they continue being exposed - or go out and get infected by something else(!), they can potentially overrun their immune system. The immune system is dynamic and intelligent, but it does not have limitless resources.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KillerCrushes For This Useful Post:
Old 13-May-20, 21:33
Points: 22,751, Level: 65 Points: 22,751, Level: 65 Points: 22,751, Level: 65
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,270 Times in 633 Posts

Looks like first attempts to be back in business in Europe. Both Germany (which Warrior Amazon lives) and Switzerland (where she wants to travel) are handling the Coronavirus quite well.
But still, for me ,it’ll be weird to take the leap from not shaking hands to a full contact session .
The Following User Says Thank You to Royh For This Useful Post:
Old 13-May-20, 21:57
Administrator
Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100
Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 115,688 Times in 9,926 Posts

Life must go on
[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naji For This Useful Post:
Old 14-May-20, 06:10
Points: 310, Level: 6 Points: 310, Level: 6 Points: 310, Level: 6
Activity: 2.9% Activity: 2.9% Activity: 2.9%

My fear is by the time the world gets used to covid all the session wrestlers well have moved on to different work
Old 14-May-20, 08:50
Points: 3,782, Level: 25 Points: 3,782, Level: 25 Points: 3,782, Level: 25
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by -AJ- [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Hence I said, "the only way that is somewhat safe"

Make no mistake, I am also advocating against people doing sessions (even though it means lost income for us).

Although, just to play devil's advocate: test turnaround times differ in each country (even down to specific locations). Here, I have a hospital lab nearby that gives PCR test results back on the same day, most of the time. You come in the morning, you get a text/email in the afternoon. That only leaves you with a short time to get infected before your evening session. Also, IIRC, you don't start shedding the virus immediately upon exposure. Thus, it is technically possible to have a session and be somewhat safe, if one plays the cards right. I still don't recommend it in general.

On the other hand, if the tests take 4 days, it's getting into quite meaningless territory indeed. As you start being infectious about 2.5 days before developing symptoms, on average, and you are actually most contagious the day before symptoms onset, so with the symptoms onset starting typically 4-14 days after infection, a 4 days old test, plus say a day or two to travel to session location, could ironically bring you onto the mats in your most contagious phase, if the odds and timing get stacked against you.
I think you have made a thoughtful and thorough summary. One possible extra consideration, which could complicate any calculations I guess, is maybe the time between contracting the virus and a test resulting in a positive result. Isn't it said that quite a lot of 'false negatives' are caused by the test being done soon after the virus was picked up?

So I'm not really sure whether it's a close call between the date a test would very likely come back with a positive result if someone was infected and the date someone could start being infectious?

I suppose at your place for example, or at Fight Pulse, if it's true that people don't become infectious on the same day, the wrestling girls shouldn't be at risk from being infected by someone based on they themselves having been infected travelling to the venue (but washing hands and changing clothes etc before the session would be required I suppose to prevent infection via surfaces to the wrestling girl as a 3rd party). But the clients themselves obviously don't want to be infected travelling to the venue for their own safety and that of family and the general population. Maybe people that could drive to the venue are best placed to consider booking anytime soon?

Added after 8 minutes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweig [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Life must go on
I suppose this is a rare occasion where that same sentence can have two opposite meanings or result in two different decisions, in terms of resuming sessions (and other things).

Firstly, obviously I'd hope everyone stays safe.

Last edited by Armwrestlefan99; 14-May-20 at 08:50.
Old 14-May-20, 13:48
Points: 7,973, Level: 38 Points: 7,973, Level: 38 Points: 7,973, Level: 38
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements

Quote:
It is also thought the amount of virus exposure at the start of infection - the infectious dose - increases the chance of the severity of the illness. A high infectious dose may lead to a higher viral load.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCrushes [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
One can be exposed and infected and be perfectly fine because the immune system has the ammunition to fight... but if they continue being exposed - or go out and get infected by something else(!), they can potentially overrun their immune system.
Great points AJ and KillerCrushes. It's hard to think of a riskier activity than session wrestling in terms of trying to avoid a high initial dose, i.e. in terms of trying to avoid a severe case of covid-19.
Old 16-May-20, 04:42
Points: 4,352, Level: 27 Points: 4,352, Level: 27 Points: 4,352, Level: 27
Activity: 9.5% Activity: 9.5% Activity: 9.5%
Last Achievements

I come in contact with people everyday. As far as I know I'm ok but why take the risk right now. I'll just wait till it's safer.
Old 16-May-20, 05:36
Points: 3,205, Level: 23 Points: 3,205, Level: 23 Points: 3,205, Level: 23
Last Achievements

the longer we wait, the worse the economy gets. And all those third world countries that depend on the first world for food and resources...it doesn’t matter if those people are safe. This whole idea that staying home is saving lives is false. These lockdowns have caused a whole lot of death and or unsafe situations for people throughout the world. A small group of people are obsessed with control. That’s all this is. The virus is merely an excuse.

Tags
mixed combat, mixed wresting, session wrestling