Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Wrestling & Fighting Discussion

Old 19-Mar-20, 17:17
Points: 4,903, Level: 29 Points: 4,903, Level: 29 Points: 4,903, Level: 29
Activity: 7.1% Activity: 7.1% Activity: 7.1%
Last Achievements

Default Re: Is the coronavirus outbreak affecting session wrestling?

This is a terrible situation for all involved. I think it is easy for people to say that some of these industries need to chill out for a while in the interest of public health. While it is true, it’s hard to ask someone whose income relies on those industries to give up their livelihood and be unable to provide food and shelter for themselves for an indefinite period of time.
The Following User Says Thank You to ca12345 For This Useful Post:
Old 20-Mar-20, 03:39
Producer
Points: 27,544, Level: 72 Points: 27,544, Level: 72 Points: 27,544, Level: 72
Activity: 19.0% Activity: 19.0% Activity: 19.0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,450 Times in 1,066 Posts

This is an apolitical statement:

The damage being done to the economy in the U.S. is putting millions at risk in order to potentially "save" a few lives. The trauma of divorce, job loss, etc can last for generations.

I now believe doing too much will end up doing more harm than not doing enough.

I have plenty of provisions and don't like going out anyway, but if I choose to leave my home for any reason during the "shelter in place" order, I will not be carrying "papers". I will be carrying my camera and a pen.

I will be doing phone sessions and custom video orders to keep my providers as independent as possible.
Old 20-Mar-20, 03:53
Points: 11,092, Level: 45 Points: 11,092, Level: 45 Points: 11,092, Level: 45
Activity: 33.3% Activity: 33.3% Activity: 33.3%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,165 Times in 1,032 Posts

how does trauma of divorce or job loss last for generations? what does divorce have to do with it? if you really can't stand your spouse that much that a quarantine causes divorce, should you be married anyway? You are severely underestimating what "a few" lives means. We are not doing too much. We are doing too little, too late.
Old 20-Mar-20, 08:16
Points: 14,964, Level: 53 Points: 14,964, Level: 53 Points: 14,964, Level: 53
Activity: 14.6% Activity: 14.6% Activity: 14.6%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 1,388 Times in 342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCrushes [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
The damage being done to the economy in the U.S. is putting millions at risk in order to potentially "save" a few lives.
Yeah it seems you haven't realized what's going on. Hundreds of thousands of people will die in the US alone if nothing is done, it's quite more than "a few".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grapluc For This Useful Post:
Old 20-Mar-20, 17:10
Points: 7,398, Level: 36 Points: 7,398, Level: 36 Points: 7,398, Level: 36
Activity: 23.8% Activity: 23.8% Activity: 23.8%
Last Achievements

Try millions. If nothing is done, the outbreak models show that 4-10 million people will die in the US. It's a broad number, because you also have to factor in the large amount of people who will die for causes other than Covid-19, because our medical institutions are too overrun so a heart attack victim that could have had a chance to be saved with expedient medical treatment will die. Just to put that number into scope, that's more than the total of Americans that have been killed during all wars combined and by a large amount.

Also, it's unclear if herd immunity will even work as this is an RNA virus which is the type that mutate more easily and in fact the virus has in fact already mutated as it's traveled to different parts of the world.
Old 20-Mar-20, 17:26
Points: 4,740, Level: 29 Points: 4,740, Level: 29 Points: 4,740, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapluc [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Yeah it seems you haven't realized what's going on. Hundreds of thousands of people will die in the US alone if nothing is done, it's quite more than "a few".
All the measures are to "flatten the curve" and hopefully prevent hospitals and ICUs from being overwhelmed. When someone has a severe case of COVID-19, to avoid suffocation or lung failure, ICU patients are put on ventilators. There are only so many ventilators at any given hospital. There may be an influx of critical condition patient that exceed hospital capacity. In this case, more will die than would otherwise die if the critical care cases came in at a slow trickle.

The loss of livelihood is no doubt devastating to alot of people. Many business are going to shudder and never reopen. Anyone unlucky enough to be an hourly employee is not going to get paid beyond a certain date. Some people have no paid sick time. Some people will be laid off. Its going to be very bad.
But what will certainly "look" worst is if the government eases restrictions on public gatherings and freedom of movement and hospitals are completely overwhelmed and have to turn away patients, or have to make horrific triage decisions like "this guy is 80 and this other guy is 40 and both desperately need a ventilator, so we will give it to the 40 year old.
Old 20-Mar-20, 20:20
Producer
Points: 27,544, Level: 72 Points: 27,544, Level: 72 Points: 27,544, Level: 72
Activity: 19.0% Activity: 19.0% Activity: 19.0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,450 Times in 1,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnate [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
All the measures are to "flatten the curve" and hopefully prevent hospitals and ICUs from being overwhelmed. When someone has a severe case of COVID-19, to avoid suffocation or lung failure, ICU patients are put on ventilators. There are only so many ventilators at any given hospital.
Ventilators are $2000-3000 each on Alibaba and can ship in 3 days. We've known about this spread since January. And even 4 weeks ago, we still had more than adequate time to get those orders placed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyIncognito [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Try millions. If nothing is done, the outbreak models show that 4-10 million people will die in the US. It's a broad number, because you also have to factor in the large amount of people who will die for causes other than Covid-19, because our medical institutions are too overrun so a heart attack victim that could have had a chance to be saved with expedient medical treatment will die. Just to put that number into scope, that's more than the total of Americans that have been killed during all wars combined and by a large amount.

Also, it's unclear if herd immunity will even work as this is an RNA virus which is the type that mutate more easily and in fact the virus has in fact already mutated as it's traveled to different parts of the world.
Once everyone has it, the virus weakens. The world's response is based on the limited early data we had about its lethality. The worst-case predictions were that 2-3% of those *infected* would die. That is a HUGE number and one you pay attention to. Even if it was only a third of that - say, 0.7% - it's still worth noting. Why, because when a new strain emerges, you have to start with the assumption that everyone will get it, because no one is immune. But, because this strain is new, we aren't able to estimate the total of asymptomatic carriers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapluc [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
1) I understand the math and 2) if I continue to reply to this, it will sound political, so I'll stop there. *zip*

-------

Session wrestling - and the entire economy - are being adverse impacted a lot more than I predicted a month ago.
Old 20-Mar-20, 22:15
Points: 7,398, Level: 36 Points: 7,398, Level: 36 Points: 7,398, Level: 36
Activity: 23.8% Activity: 23.8% Activity: 23.8%
Last Achievements

And our government hasn't ordered ventilators. The companies that make them have said they can step up production, but the orders haven't happened. Instead the lawmakers on the intelligence committees told the public that everything was fine and this was an overblown hoax while quietly telling their rich donors what was coming and quietly liquidating their stock portfolios before the market crash. It's very clear that like many other things, we're on our own on this one and our govt isn't going to help us or do an adequate job dealing with the situation, so taking extreme personal measures are the only way. Where I am, businesses are closing and the governor has shut down or limited most things. On the other hand, the mayor from Jaws is running Florida and has been reluctant to close the beaches and unlike Larry Vaughn, he doesn't even have the decency to wear the greatest suit of all time while doing it.

I'm also hitting the one week point of self quarantine/social isolation and am starting to go a bit insane and more importantly (and possibly related) am almost out of wine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GuyIncognito For This Useful Post:
Old 21-Mar-20, 13:10
Points: 5,821, Level: 32 Points: 5,821, Level: 32 Points: 5,821, Level: 32
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements

I think there are great points on both sides of the debate, personally I think we are playing it the right way for now. Stay home except for work and essential activities, but still support local businesses either by take out or buying gift cards from your favorite retail shops online. As in any depression/recession there are some industries doing well right now. Walmart, grocery stores, amazon etc...

But at the same time, you cannot close down the US economy indefinitely. We need to get people back to work by mid April, or sooner. And if you are over 60 or fall into one of the “high risk” categories you need to likely isolate yourself until there is a viable treatment available. Work from home, avoid physical contact with anyone, etc... but for those who are not high risk, we need them to get back to as close to a normal lifestyle as possible to avoid a complete catastrophe for the long term health of the country. As someone said above the government can only help so much, they cannot prop up the economy long term. Only foolish career politicians believe that is true. You can only spend other people’s money while they have money to spend. Sooner or later it runs out and we become a slave state to China or someone else. Arguably we’re already on the way to that happening.

I’m chatting with one of my favorite session providers about ordering a custom clip since I can’t be there in person. If you have a C4S store you may even see a spike in business during this mess.

Last edited by Stirlingbloomingdale; 21-Mar-20 at 13:25.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stirlingbloomingdale For This Useful Post:
Old 21-Mar-20, 14:23
Points: 11,092, Level: 45 Points: 11,092, Level: 45 Points: 11,092, Level: 45
Activity: 33.3% Activity: 33.3% Activity: 33.3%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,165 Times in 1,032 Posts

You realize half the American population is at-risk, right? One of the most obese nations in the world, so many people have breathing problems.

Tags
mixed combat, mixed wresting, session wrestling