Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Wrestling & Fighting Discussion

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 08-Jan-22, 01:00
Points: 3,809, Level: 26 Points: 3,809, Level: 26 Points: 3,809, Level: 26
Activity: 9.5% Activity: 9.5% Activity: 9.5%
Last Achievements

Default Tips on Recording Sessions

Does anybody here have any good tips for getting good session recordings? I typically like to record my sessions if the girl is cool with it, which they almost always are, but sometimes find it hard to get a quality recording. I typically use my phone, and the main issue I've run into is getting everything on camera without zooming out too far. I've had a few sessions where when I watched the recording back, a lot of the session unfortunately took place off camera. This is particularly true because my sessions tend to be more competitive in nature and is also more of a problem when we wrestle on a mat vs on the bed. I don't know much about recording video so would be interested to hear what other people's experiences are with this.
Old 08-Jan-22, 02:50
Points: 15,057, Level: 53 Points: 15,057, Level: 53 Points: 15,057, Level: 53
Activity: 99.7% Activity: 99.7% Activity: 99.7%
Last Achievements

Thanked 9,698 Times in 610 Posts
Default Re: Tips on Recording Sessions

For bedfights I usually used my Casio camera (on a small camera tripod) positioned for example on a side table or chair and sometimes a Gopro from a different angle or handheld for POV shots and actually there were always at least a few usable recordings. For (semi)competive fights on a mat you should better look for a camera operator.
Old 08-Jan-22, 03:11
Points: 22,751, Level: 65 Points: 22,751, Level: 65 Points: 22,751, Level: 65
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,270 Times in 633 Posts

Ask the provider if she can bring a camera lady to film the session. It’ll usually be possible when you visit her permanent residence. That has worked wonders, usually the camera lady is also a wrestler and she even takes a little part in the session. You have to pay her, obviously.
For other situations,Where a camera lady isn’t available, a tripod is a must. You put it high, and the lower the camera a bit while it’s on the tripod.
Old 08-Jan-22, 03:26
Producer
Points: 20,044, Level: 61 Points: 20,044, Level: 61 Points: 20,044, Level: 61
Activity: 4.8% Activity: 4.8% Activity: 4.8%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,523 Times in 146 Posts

Buy a tripod. If your phone has the option, use the wide range camera. If you have only one camera, place it as far and high as you can. Remove the lamp shade coverings, you want to have as much light as possible. Identify the area your camera is covering and try to stay in frame. Common mistake: aiming too high; ask the girl to kneel on the mats or bed and make sure the top of your frame is slightly above her head.
Old 09-Jan-22, 17:19
Points: 16,299, Level: 55 Points: 16,299, Level: 55 Points: 16,299, Level: 55
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 2,023 Times in 615 Posts

You really need to find a good balance. You can place the camera further away to get all the action, but then you don’t get the good close ups. Or you could set the camera closer, but there’s a chance some of the action may take place off camera. I like to set up closer, but ask the girl to try as best she can to keep us on camera. Or maybe set a parameter to wrestle in, maybe lay down a blanket so you know as long as you are on the blanket, you are on camera. That usually works out best for me.

Also, as mentioned in another post, get as much lighting as you can. Natural light seems to work best, but any lighting is better than no lighting.

I have become somewhat of a seasoned pro with recording my sessions, and it all came through trial and error. There is nothing worse than going to watch a video of your session, just to find that half the action is off camera, or you can barely see the action because of bad lighting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Braddogg4345 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-Jan-22, 22:26
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braddogg4345 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Also, as mentioned in another post, get as much lighting as you can. Natural light seems to work best, but any lighting is better than no lighting.
I'd like to add, be sure the filming area is back or side lit. Nothing more frustrating than trying to watch action thats' too dim thanks to the strongest light, be it from a lamp, bulb or uncovered window in the video frame. It overly reduces the exposure, looks like you're filming by candlelight sometimes. You want nothing in the frame to be any brighter than the wrestlers themselves (or as close to that as possible). Even some pro producers don't get it, like Femwrestle when they have those tournaments in the big conference room with glass on 3 sides. Do some test footage first to make sure the lighting is the best it can be.

Last edited by stymie; 09-Jan-22 at 22:35.

Tags
recording, session