Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Wrestling & Fighting Discussion

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Kornelia vs Christian (onslaught).
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - NC-230.

Old 22-Sep-22, 21:32
Points: 2,115, Level: 18 Points: 2,115, Level: 18 Points: 2,115, Level: 18
Activity: 28.1% Activity: 28.1% Activity: 28.1%

Default Mounting is superior

Watched ADCC.
Seems that what works best is get on top and mount and then hold the opponent till they are exhausted and can get finished off or till time runs out.

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

After everyone being obsessed with submissions from guard and various leglock attacks it seems ironic that the rudimentary strategy of straddling someone seems to be the best at the highest level of submission grappling.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wrestler11 For This Useful Post:
Old 22-Sep-22, 22:41
Points: 13,962, Level: 51 Points: 13,962, Level: 51 Points: 13,962, Level: 51
Activity: 10.5% Activity: 10.5% Activity: 10.5%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 1,741 Times in 520 Posts
Default Re: Mounting is superior

It is very effective. When my 115 pound wife mounts me, I can't get her off of me to save my life! It has come to the point where I try not to waste too much energy throwing her off of me, because I know I can't move her. After she mounts me, she attempts to slide her way up to my head where she can move to the armbar, the triangle choke, or a straight scissor hold. Most of my energy is exerted trying to prevent her from moving to my head. I can only prevent her getting my head for so long though, before I become exhausted. My only chance for escaping is when she tries to transition from the mount to one of her other holds.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Braddogg4345 For This Useful Post:
Old 22-Sep-22, 23:25
Session Wrestler
Points: 9,153, Level: 41 Points: 9,153, Level: 41 Points: 9,153, Level: 41
Activity: 7.0% Activity: 7.0% Activity: 7.0%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 2,024 Times in 317 Posts

Mount and Backtake has always being considered the most dominant positions, that is why it is awarded most points in BJJ competitions: Guard pass 3, points, knee on belly 2, sweep 2, Mount 4, Backtake 4.
Most have learned how to defend leg locks, specially heel hooks, so they are not as surprising as couple of years ago.
Backtake still the preferred position, here are the stats for most subs in ADCC 2022:
RNC (rear naked choke) 10% , Armbar 6%, Heel hook 6%.
Old 23-Sep-22, 00:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braddogg4345 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
It is very effective. When my 115 pound wife mounts me, I can't get her off of me to save my life! It has come to the point where I try not to waste too much energy throwing her off of me, because I know I can't move her. After she mounts me, she attempts to slide her way up to my head where she can move to the armbar, the triangle choke, or a straight scissor hold. Most of my energy is exerted trying to prevent her from moving to my head. I can only prevent her getting my head for so long though, before I become exhausted. My only chance for escaping is when she tries to transition from the mount to one of her other holds.
Great point.
In two of the matches I posted the escape happened as the person on top tried to go for the armbar.
If they commit to holding the mount they can just keep holding the other there for long periods while threatening to take the back while countering escape attempts.

I rarely feel more helpless than when I get mounted and I am unable to escape.
I know that sooner or later I will get submitted.
The knowledge that they can take their time and the longer it goes on the more helpless and tired I get is a very humbling experience.

Added after 8 minutes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anji [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Mount and Backtake has always being considered the most dominant positions, that is why it is awarded most points in BJJ competitions: Guard pass 3, points, knee on belly 2, sweep 2, Mount 4, Backtake 4.
Most have learned how to defend leg locks, specially heel hooks, so they are not as surprising as couple of years ago.
Backtake still the preferred position, here are the stats for most subs in ADCC 2022:
RNC (rear naked choke) 10% , Armbar 6%, Heel hook 6%.
Learning to take the back and RNC seems best.
The path to the mount and backmount also gives the most points.
When they desperately try to avoid getting submitted the clock runs out and they lose.

Ironic that tons of folks fall in love with excotic and risky subs while the fundamentals seem to work best.

Last edited by Wrestler11; 23-Sep-22 at 00:03.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wrestler11 For This Useful Post:
Old 23-Sep-22, 00:22
Points: 5,110, Level: 30 Points: 5,110, Level: 30 Points: 5,110, Level: 30
Activity: 61.4% Activity: 61.4% Activity: 61.4%
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrestler11 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Watched ADCC.
Seems that what works best is get on top and mount and then hold the opponent till they are exhausted and can get finished off or till time runs out.

After everyone being obsessed with submissions from guard and various leglock attacks it seems ironic that the rudimentary strategy of straddling someone seems to be the best at the highest level of submission grappling.
I've only actually submitted from a hold (RNC) once in BJJ .. Every other time it's just been getting mounted and running out of gas.

I've got good scrambles, probably 2-3x stronger than most guys in the class, way more athletic – could chest press some of them with one hand .. But ground control and advancing position are what you're really learning from all that rolling .. That's where they know they have a huge advantage.
Old 23-Sep-22, 03:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Futuristics [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I've only actually submitted from a hold (RNC) once in BJJ .. Every other time it's just been getting mounted and running out of gas.

I've got good scrambles, probably 2-3x stronger than most guys in the class, way more athletic – could chest press some of them with one hand .. But ground control and advancing position are what you're really learning from all that rolling .. That's where they know they have a huge advantage.
Also notice how the uke only escaped when tori went for an armbar.
If tori commited to just holding uke in place instead of transitioning to an armbar then uke seems helpless there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wrestler11 For This Useful Post:
Old 23-Sep-22, 13:30
Points: 5,110, Level: 30 Points: 5,110, Level: 30 Points: 5,110, Level: 30
Activity: 61.4% Activity: 61.4% Activity: 61.4%
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrestler11 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Also notice how the uke only escaped when tori went for an armbar.
If tori commited to just holding uke in place instead of transitioning to an armbar then uke seems helpless there.
It's also the way you're probably going to get done by a girl in BJJ class .. Had it happen to the most alpha, ex-army friend, and it destroyed his ego – now he's dating a BJJ girl.

What everyone says about girls is, even when they're slight, they get incredibly good at not being submitted – 'slippery' .. They also might not have the strength or size to submit you, at least with arm or leg locks .. So it's an impasse .. So chances are they're going to beat you by staying in mount or side control, and they're just going to drain your power bar .. It's the most helpless you can be – you can bench press them off you maybe 5 times, but if you're rolling for 25 minutes
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Futuristics For This Useful Post:
Old 23-Sep-22, 18:13
Points: 4,194, Level: 27 Points: 4,194, Level: 27 Points: 4,194, Level: 27
Activity: 1.8% Activity: 1.8% Activity: 1.8%
Last Achievements

Grapplers use whatever works for that particular opponent / situation, don't get bogged down thinking one strategy / way of grappling is vastly superior to another.

Submitting people usually requires controlling them but this isn't just limited to mount and back control positions. There are just as many submission options that can be created from side control, guard, half guard, knee on belly, takedown and scramble situations. Quick and exotic submissions especially off scrambles/ transitions definitely have their place and have won a lot of matches at the highest levels of grappling.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joulnx10 For This Useful Post:
Old 23-Sep-22, 21:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joulnx10 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Grapplers use whatever works for that particular opponent / situation, don't get bogged down thinking one strategy / way of grappling is vastly superior to another.

Submitting people usually requires controlling them but this isn't just limited to mount and back control positions. There are just as many submission options that can be created from side control, guard, half guard, knee on belly, takedown and scramble situations. Quick and exotic submissions especially off scrambles/ transitions definitely have their place and have won a lot of matches at the highest levels of grappling.
The rules, gravity and lack of clothing kinda limit things down to a few options.
Side mount
Knee on belly
North south
Front headlock
Mount
Back mount
Various forms of guard
Leg entanglements
Turtle

Mount gets you 4 points and in the last ADCC it seems with back mount one of the few reliable places in which one elite grappler can immobilize another elite grappler for long periods of time.

Excotic submissions and onorthodox stuff seems to have it's place but once folks catch up to it we see them less and less.
When both competitors know all the options available in each position then it comes down a lot to mechanics and employing gravity.
Pins like mount, side control and back control seem to have just superior mechanics compared to other positions.
Especially when everything is slippery.

Last edited by Wrestler11; 23-Sep-22 at 22:01.