Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Wrestling & Fighting Discussion

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 20-May-15, 05:17
Points: 4,342, Level: 27 Points: 4,342, Level: 27 Points: 4,342, Level: 27
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Default Wrestling strength vs Lifting Strength

I've been wrestling a girl for a few weeks now, and I lift on average four times more than her on every lift in the gym.

When we wrestle I feel like I barely have a 20% increase in strength on the mats. I can get her in holds she can't escape, but I can escape hers, but only with maximum effort both in keeping her in the hold, and escaping hers. I definitely don't feel like I have a 400% advantage over her.

I'd say she would be very close to Kaycee from GG in stature, weight and height, perhaps more broad shoulders, I'm about 5'4 150lb pretty strong.

question is why?
Old 20-May-15, 18:36
Points: 11,858, Level: 47 Points: 11,858, Level: 47 Points: 11,858, Level: 47
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%
Last Achievements

Default Re: Wrestling strength vs Lifting Strength

There could be several factor:

first, your maximum strenght is most likely much better then your strengh endurance. you might lack stamina in general though you might get out of breath or power quickly.

second the power and the movement of lifting weights is different than that of wrestling moves. weight lifting often focuses on singular or just a small group of muscles whereas wrestling moves uses many muscles. In adition the movements are different in gerneral, which means that neither your coordination nor your muscles power is really used to these movements after you have just trained wrestling for two weeks. you might also lack some power in mucles used much in wrestling, like core muscles and lower body muscles compared two the muscles you train heavily in the gym.

third, you still lack alot of experience and skills in wrestling, so you most liy do not use your power efficiently.

Then i guess that she does not lift reguarly. So she is undertrained in this area and would lift maybe double after lifting reguarly for a couple of month.

I wonder if she has much more wrestling experience as you. That would strenghten the reasons if have mentioned above.

She must be pretty powerfull if she is build like Kaycee from GG. Must be alot of fun wrestling a girl with her build and power.
The Following User Says Thank You to mixedwrestler08 For This Useful Post:
Old 20-May-15, 20:18
Points: 4,914, Level: 29 Points: 4,914, Level: 29 Points: 4,914, Level: 29
Last Achievements

I've had similar experiences also. I've easily beat some girls in arm wrestling so I know that my upper body strength is a lot more than hers but during the actual wrestling match, a lot of that strength advantage seems to disappear. I think core strength is a lot of it and for me also the power in the hips and legs. I think I can probably out squat them by quite a lot also but those specific lifts don't seem to translate to strength in wrestling. A perfect example for me is Rain (session wrestler from Atlanta). She is almost a foot shorter than me and around 50 lbs. smaller and I only have to go maybe 60 - 70% to beat her at armwrestling but when we are on the mats wrestling and are each trying to get an advantage, probably more often than not, she seems to be able to overpower me. I can get her in a hold and she almost always seems to be able to eventually able to power her way out. If she gets me in the same hold, almost always I am trapped and have to end up submitting. I have learned to use my size advantage and wrestle her very defensively and we are pretty even and I've even won most of our recent matches but without my weight advantage, I know I would be toast. Despite my weight lifting / arm wrestling strength advantage, she seems to have a wrestling strength advantage. Other girls can beat me because of their big technical / training advantage but love wrestling a girl that can match me with wrestling strength and even occasionally overpower me. It's quite a rush for me. :-)
Old 20-May-15, 22:28
Points: 24,867, Level: 68 Points: 24,867, Level: 68 Points: 24,867, Level: 68
Activity: 4.8% Activity: 4.8% Activity: 4.8%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,667 Times in 868 Posts

I had the opposite experience several years ago. At the time, I was fit in general, but my legs were probably my strongest part because of a lot of bicycling. She was a lean, muscular beast. I was probably 5 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier. When we arm-wrestled, this massive biceps exploded out of her arm and I was pretty much slammed. But on another occasion we wrestled and I beat her pretty quickly. Neither of us had any wrestling skill but I managed to pin her.
Old 20-May-15, 22:49
Points: 26,283, Level: 70 Points: 26,283, Level: 70 Points: 26,283, Level: 70
Activity: 99.3% Activity: 99.3% Activity: 99.3%
Last Achievements

Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,828 Posts

Gym lifts don't translate directly into wrestling strength. Benching is the closest because the position of being pinned is nearly the same, but you almost never find yourself in cases where movements happen in a straight line like that. Wrestling strength is more about twitch movement and having a plan and getting yourself in position before your opponent realizes what you're doing. Someone like VeVe Lane is great because she knows how she wants to move you once you both are on the ground and she's more than strong enough to do that.
Old 21-May-15, 12:19
Points: 4,342, Level: 27 Points: 4,342, Level: 27 Points: 4,342, Level: 27
Last Achievements

I think I've realized something. If I'm considerably lighter than my opponent, It means I have to move more weight which means more effort than they have to. I think it could be a considerable advantage/disadvantage