Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Women's MMA

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 15-Jun-20, 15:06
Points: 11,563, Level: 46 Points: 11,563, Level: 46 Points: 11,563, Level: 46
Activity: 45.2% Activity: 45.2% Activity: 45.2%
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,006 Times in 624 Posts
Default Re: Who could beat Amanda Nunes?

Bosco from Grappling Girls.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bizyz For This Useful Post:
Old 15-Jun-20, 18:04
Points: 3,657, Level: 25 Points: 3,657, Level: 25 Points: 3,657, Level: 25
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%
Last Achievements

I don't like Nunes at all, but (unlike Cyborg) I do respect her. The thing that puts her above the competition is that every time someone uncovers a weakness in her game, by the next time she fights she's done something to compensate for that weakness.

Pound for pound, I believe Schevchenko is better than Nunes, and unlike most people Nunes winning over Cyborg didn't cause me to forget that everyone pretty much thought Shevchenko won their last fight. Still, before the fight people thought that Nunes was going to gas out and get dominated in the 4th and 5th rounds, and she improved her stamina - and hid behind some lay&pray - and it didn't happen that way.

Even after all this time Rousey probably would have the best chance if she decided to do MMA again. She actually has more punching power than Nunes, who has never knocked someone cold like Rousey did to Bethe Correia. But her standup technique never improved, ever. Anyway, like I said above, Nunes fixes her weaknesses and if she learned Ronda was coming at her seriously, she'd probably assume she had enough lead on standup talent and focus on takedown defense and getups. Rousey's ground and pound was a thing of beauty too though, and she'd probably learn from the Holm fight to keep the fight down and do some damage and wear Nunes out instead of shooting straight for an armbar when Nunes was fresh enough to power out of it. Still, I'd bet on Nunes at this point for the main reason that at this point Nunes has been improving for 8 years while Rousey has, afaik, kept up her judo skills but not even practiced MMA, and it'd be too tough for her to catch up. If Rousey had kept a clearer head and actually learned to box though, I doubt Nunes would have even been willing to get in the octagon with her.
The Following User Says Thank You to ThaCat005 For This Useful Post:
Old 18-Jun-20, 13:38
Points: 6,004, Level: 33 Points: 6,004, Level: 33 Points: 6,004, Level: 33
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements

@[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] - Did you say that Rousey has more punching power than Nunes? Seriously?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to awesomesauce For This Useful Post:
Old 19-Jun-20, 04:55
Points: 3,657, Level: 25 Points: 3,657, Level: 25 Points: 3,657, Level: 25
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%
Last Achievements

Did I stutter? Or did I state a fact and back it up with evidence?
Old 20-Jun-20, 20:11
Points: 57,567, Level: 100 Points: 57,567, Level: 100 Points: 57,567, Level: 100
Activity: 88.1% Activity: 88.1% Activity: 88.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 8,748 Times in 1,916 Posts

Nunes retiring and Holly getting old.

Seriously though. I don't think Ronda would ever come back. If she did, I think she'd have a lot of problems with girls like Ketlen Veira, Aspen Ladd and maybe even the rough and ready Raquel Pennington let alone Nunes.

It's been almost 5 years since she lost the belt. The game has moved on while she's been off doing WWE and apocalypse prepping.

Last edited by jiminy; 20-Jun-20 at 20:17.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jiminy For This Useful Post:
Old 20-Jun-20, 22:00
Administrator
Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100
Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 115,688 Times in 9,926 Posts

I think Ronda could beat Amanda if she found a way to get the fight to the ground. But, that ship has sailed. Otherwise, there's noone else. Shevchenko comes closest, but is at a size disadvantage, and is a passive counter-striker, which doesn't help. She lost twice though, and the third fight is unlikely. Cyborg is next, but is nowadays too slow for Amanda and would get tagged quickly if she wants to swing haymakers with her. Zhang Weili I think is an overall a better fighter than Nunes, but is way too small. Gabi Garcia, of course, wouldn't last a minute with Nunes.

You need a better striker to force Nunes on the back foot, or a great top-control wrestler to tire her out. Nunes's boxing is quite primitive, she's just big (for 135lb), strong and aggressive like Cyborg was 10 years ago. Women's MMA is evolving at a rapid pace and someone will emerge in a couple of years who's better than Nunes.
[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Naji For This Useful Post:
Old 21-Jun-20, 21:29
Points: 10,043, Level: 43 Points: 10,043, Level: 43 Points: 10,043, Level: 43
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminy [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Nunes retiring and Holly getting old.

Seriously though. I don't think Ronda would ever come back. If she did, I think she'd have a lot of problems with girls like Ketlen Veira, Aspen Ladd and maybe even the rough and ready Raquel Pennington let alone Nunes.

It's been almost 5 years since she lost the belt. The game has moved on while she's been off doing WWE and apocalypse prepping.
She may be more prescient than most of us on the apocalypse prepping.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mermao For This Useful Post:
Old 22-Jun-20, 02:17
Points: 9,308, Level: 41 Points: 9,308, Level: 41 Points: 9,308, Level: 41
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweig [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
You need a better striker to force Nunes on the back foot, or a great top-control wrestler to tire her out
These are the attributes her last 2 opponents had and Nunes beat both handily. de Randamie , the better striker, she easily took down time after time...and Spencer the great ground game prodigy, bjj expert was dominated on the feet and on the ground. Nunes was ragdolling her. I don't see anyone beating her anytime soon.

Added after 7 minutes:

She also destroyed Sara Mcmann, an Olympic silver medalist in wrestling...hard to get a better top control wrestler than that.

Last edited by paul0415; 22-Jun-20 at 02:17.
The Following User Says Thank You to paul0415 For This Useful Post:
Old 25-Jun-20, 09:35
Points: 2,168, Level: 19 Points: 2,168, Level: 19 Points: 2,168, Level: 19
Activity: 3.9% Activity: 3.9% Activity: 3.9%
Last Achievements

Don't see anyone beating her in or near that division.
Old 25-Jun-20, 09:43
Administrator
Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100
Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 115,688 Times in 9,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0415 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
These are the attributes her last 2 opponents had and Nunes beat both handily. de Randamie , the better striker, she easily took down time after time...and Spencer the great ground game prodigy, bjj expert was dominated on the feet and on the ground. Nunes was ragdolling her. I don't see anyone beating her anytime soon.

Added after 7 minutes:

She also destroyed Sara Mcmann, an Olympic silver medalist in wrestling...hard to get a better top control wrestler than that.
Good point about GDR. But disagree about Spencer or McMann. Doesn't matter how good you are at BJJ if your offensive wrestling is no good. As to McMann, your freestlyle credential don't matter if you can't use them in MMA. Guys like GSP could ragdoll world class wrestlers, whilst coming from stroking background.
[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]