Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > The Pioneers

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 30-Aug-22, 02:18
Points: 11,342, Level: 46 Points: 11,342, Level: 46 Points: 11,342, Level: 46
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 1,956 Times in 239 Posts
Default Re: Judell DuLong

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetClub [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
One of my favorite competitive matches ever has to be Vicky Clark vs Laura Nolan
I don't know much (make that anything) about Vicky Clark's background or how she happened to appear at The Amazon. Laura Nolan apparently worked as an instructor at an up market health spa in the area. Given it was the first match for both it does pose the possibility that they worked together and had a score to settle.

It was Vicki's only appearance at The Amazon as far as released matches go. Laura had a total of seven released matches and to her credit she seemed happy to take on the best because apart from Vicki she fought Liz Meles, Nancy Skarvan, Cindy Brooks, Lisa Dunwell, Diana Crawley and Roz Jansen, finishing with a record of 3 wins and 4 losses. Of course both could have had many more matches which were not released.

As for the audio, the fight was released about 1981 as Item 260 on super 8mm film, so would have had no audio. I suspect the audio was added some time later when someone converted it to video, and hence the reason why the video and audio are not properly synced. That is something one finds on a lot of old super 8mm films which have been converted and would not have been done by Judell.

As for the pin not being called, like most of what Judell produced, apart from a few early matches where pins were used, it was a submissions only match.

finally, with matches recorder on super 8mm film they were restricted to about 10 or 11 minutes in length, (400 feet from memory) so inevitably there had to be some editing of the action to fit it on a super 8 reel.

Obviously many challenges filming back in those days compared to filming on video, but great that we have the history still available.

Ian.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ian270446 For This Useful Post:
Old 31-Aug-22, 02:58
Points: 3,908, Level: 26 Points: 3,908, Level: 26 Points: 3,908, Level: 26
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

I just wanted to add that after Judell started to release matches on video tape (The first video she released was in the fall of 1981, a rematch between Nancy Skarvan and Cindy Brooks, the match itself only lasted about ten minutes but she included about 20 minutes of pre-match interviews of both women.) she released at least one compilation tape of film transfers of “old” matches. I think it was probably much more than one. Anyway, I believe on the first compilation tape she said she decided to add some audio to the matches, but I would describe it as generic audio, by this I mean she would take the audio of a videotaped match then use some of the audio and dub it on to the transfer even though they were two different matches. Somewhere in my house I think I might still have one of those compilation tapes. My recollection was that much of the audio consisted of two women breathing heavily. I guess Sigmund Freud would see a lot of significance to that.

One of the funniest things I ever heard during a Judell Dulong match was, on a subsequent compilation tape she must have taken her films to a video store of some type to be transferred to video. The reason I know that she did that was because you could hear the clerk at the store talking to either another employee or else a friend about the match. They were both males. One of them was explaining to the other that a lot of the tapes were sold in the Mideast. He also complained about people who would come into the store and not buy anything! I think he pretty much talked nonstop during the transfer. I have no idea how his comments got onto the audio of the tape; it did not sound as though he realized that the video was picking up and recording what he was saying.

Enough digression, I need to look back at Judell’s report sheets for this but I am pretty sure that Vicky Clark was a former, maybe a current, softball player when she came to the Amazon.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 3dlaserfan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-Oct-22, 16:27
Points: 45,293, Level: 93 Points: 45,293, Level: 93 Points: 45,293, Level: 93
Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 9,922 Times in 455 Posts

Judell vs Gypsy Jean Powers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JD502.jpg (481.2 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg JD501.jpg (481.0 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg JD500.jpg (426.8 KB, 143 views)
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to spent4321 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-Oct-22, 23:33
Banned
Points: 5,899, Level: 32 Points: 5,899, Level: 32 Points: 5,899, Level: 32
Activity: 58.5% Activity: 58.5% Activity: 58.5%

More please.... What I always loved was Judell's texts/write-ups of the matches she was in.
The Following User Says Thank You to fvsfforever For This Useful Post:
Old 24-May-23, 07:18
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts

This looks to be a report of Judell's wedding 63 years ago, to Jack. I had thought her maiden name was Pofahl, like her brother's. Perhaps he was a half-brother or step-brother....

The Missoulian
Missoula, Montana
Sun, May 22, 1960
Page 23

obit

Judell Ann Harrsch
August 16, 1938 - July 04, 2017
Obituary

Judell Ann Harrsch was born August 16, 1938 in Missoula, Montana to Mondell and June Metz. She passed away the evening of July 4th, 2017 at 78 years old. She grew up in Polson, Montana on Flathead Lake, and graduated from high school in 1956. She attended nursing school training in Miles City, Montana in 1956, and briefly worked as a nurse’s aide, and in the fall of 1958 worked as a copywriter for a local radio station.

She met her first husband Jack Dulong while working at the radio station in Missoula, Mt. They married in Polson, Montana at Sacred Heart Catholic Church on May 10, 1959. They had two children Sharon Annette and Jack Clifford, and lived in several towns and states including Illinois, Wisconsin, and Wyoming before moving to the San Diego area.

Judell and Jack started a wrestling club in the early 1970s in California. It soon grew to become the Amazon, and began a way for women’s combative sports. Judell helped pioneer women’s wrestling and she was an inspiration to people across the world, paving the way for women’s wrestling to be recognized as an Olympic sport.

In her later years, she remarried a man named Keith Harrsch. They moved to Washington to be closer to family. They also lived briefly in Alaska until Keith passed away from illness.

Judell returned to Washington State and spent her last years working as a care-giver for DSHS, and Hospice. She is remembered for her supportive caring nature and her strength as a woman. She loved family and loved being a grandma. She had a witty and sarcastic sense of humor that she carried with her to the end.

Her final wishes were for everyone to laugh and love in her honor and for her ashes to be spread where she grew up in Finley Pt, Montana.

Judell is predeceased by her husband Keith Harrsch, her parents June and Mondell Metz, brothers Mondell, John, Leo and sister-in-law Betty. She is survived by her brother James Metz, children Sharon Watt and Jack Dulong, step children Liz Harrsch and Amanda Mckinnon, her grandchildren Jacqynette Shook, Joshua Watt ad Sky Dulong, and lots of nieces, nephews and cousins.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to stymie For This Useful Post:
Old 27-May-23, 13:21
Points: 11,563, Level: 46 Points: 11,563, Level: 46 Points: 11,563, Level: 46
Activity: 45.2% Activity: 45.2% Activity: 45.2%
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,006 Times in 624 Posts

I heard thru the grapevine if true that the reason why they divorced was that Jack had something going on with one of the girls at the Amazon.
Old 03-Jun-23, 22:45
Points: 3,908, Level: 26 Points: 3,908, Level: 26 Points: 3,908, Level: 26
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Last year I said I would post something about wrestling magazines and Judell Dulong, but I did not get around to doing so until now. I wish that I could say I have a good excuse for the delay, but I am a terrible procrastinator.

During the 1970’s and 1980’s, and maybe even after that, pro wrestling magazines were pretty much dominated by two outfits. I’m afraid that I do not know their formal names but one published the “Sports Review” titles which I suspect was the bigger of the two companies. Throughout the 1970’s and until the summer of 1983 they ran a ton of articles about apartment wrestling, but no articles about Judell DuLong and rarely, if ever, any articles about any other amateur women wrestling companies, such as Mildred Burke, California Supreme, Joan Wise, and so forth. The other company published Wrestling Revue, Wrestling Monthly and the Big Book of Wrestling, maybe some others. They published very few articles about apartment wrestling, but, fortunately for us, they published quite a few articles about Judell Dulong, in fact I personally would never have known that Judell Dulong even existed if it had not been for a couple of articles they published about her in 1977, as well as several more from 1978 through 1980. They also published articles about California Supreme going back to the 1960’s, as well as material from Mildred Burke. Sometime in the late 1970’s they purported to take a poll of their readers as to whether or not they wanted apartment wrestling. It seems like they ran that poll for two years or more before finally claiming that readers voted in favor of it, and around 1980 they did run a few short apartment wrestling articles. One potentially significant difference between the Sports Review chain of magazines and the Wrestling Revue chain was that Sports Review would almost always have pictures of apartment wrestling on their front cover and around 1977 their front cover would sometimes be completely covered by an apartment wrestling picture. By contrast, amateur female wrestlers were almost never depicted on the front cover of the Wrestling Revue magazines. You will see the potential significance of this later in this post.

Bill Apter was a writer and key figure during that time for the Sports Review chain. He wrote a book about his experience in pro wrestling publishing in a book called
“Is pro wrestling fixed? I didn’t know that it was broken.” I read it about three years ago, although I think I lost my copy. Anyway, in part of his book he wrote about a controversy over publishing apartment wrestling that, so far as I can tell, took place between the pro wrestling community and the Wrestling Review publishers. Part of what made this so fascinating to me was that this dispute took place almost entirely out of public view, I am quite certain that the Sports Review magazines never publicly acknowledged that there was an issue at all, and with one possible exception I don’t think that any of the pro wrestling promoters or wrestlers ever acknowledged it either. According to Apter, at some point the promoters started to complain about the apartment wrestling articles. It is not clear to me if the concerns were from the promoters themselves or from the wrestlers or possibly fans, or possibly a combination of those groups. I need to briefly digress and point out that, ultimately, the promoters, the wrestlers, and the wrestling magazine publishers all had a common interest in the popularity of professional wrestling. Even so, Sports Review balked at abolishing apartment wrestling from their magazines. I don’t think Apter explained exactly why they would not stop publishing apartment wrestling but I think I have a pretty good idea why. Covers with apartment wrestling started coming out on a regular basis around 1975, by 1977 some covers would be taken over by a full page picture of apartment wrestling. I am pretty certain that the publishers would not have done that unless they concluded that the bigger the apartment wrestling picture on their cover, the higher the sales of that issue would be. On top of that, around the mid to late 1970’s they published a series of special issues, “Battling Girls”. It wouldn’t have made any sense to have done that unless apartment wrestling was generating a lot of sales, which was the bottom line for the publisher.

OK, OK, I know people are wondering, “What does any of this have to do with Judell Dulong?”. I will get to that in just a moment.

According to Apter, this was a simmering issue that did not get resolved quickly or easily. Finally, the promoters issued an ultimatum, if Sports Review did not stop publishing apartment wrestling articles, the promoters would shut off all access to the wrestlers and managers. This was a risky move by the promoters because they benefitted quite a bit from the wrestling magazines. But the ultimatum worked and Sports Review stopped publishing articles and photos of apartment wrestling. This explains why, as late as the summer of 1983 Sports Review still included an article about apartment wrestling, and then in the next issue there was nothing. So far as I can recall Sports Review did not say anything in advance that they were going to stop publishing apartment wrestling, and after they stopped, I don’t think that they ever explained or ever acknowledged the cessation.

So what does all of this have to do with Judell Dulong? Sports Review never did an article about Judell Dulong, even after 1983. But I wonder if part of the reason the Wrestling Revue magazines did so many articles on her was because they sensed that if they did anything related to apartment wrestling they would have faced blowback from the promoters and wrestlers, but they could safely publish articles about Judell Dulong without jeopardizing their relationships with the promoters and wrestlers. This might also explain why they ran a poll about apartment wrestling for, I believe, two years before finally announcing the results; I suspect that it took a lot less than two years to run a simple yes-or-no poll. And even when they did run apartment wrestling articles they kept them off the front cover.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 3dlaserfan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-Jun-23, 11:09
Banned
Points: 5,899, Level: 32 Points: 5,899, Level: 32 Points: 5,899, Level: 32
Activity: 58.5% Activity: 58.5% Activity: 58.5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dlaserfan [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Last year I said I would post something about wrestling magazines and Judell Dulong, but I did not get around to doing so until now. I wish that I could say I have a good excuse for the delay, but I am a terrible procrastinator.

During the 1970’s and 1980’s, and maybe even after that, pro wrestling magazines were pretty much dominated by two outfits. I’m afraid that I do not know their formal names but one published the “Sports Review” titles which I suspect was the bigger of the two companies. Throughout the 1970’s and until the summer of 1983 they ran a ton of articles about apartment wrestling, but no articles about Judell DuLong and rarely, if ever, any articles about any other amateur women wrestling companies, such as Mildred Burke, California Supreme, Joan Wise, and so forth. The other company published Wrestling Revue, Wrestling Monthly and the Big Book of Wrestling, maybe some others. They published very few articles about apartment wrestling, but, fortunately for us, they published quite a few articles about Judell Dulong, in fact I personally would never have known that Judell Dulong even existed if it had not been for a couple of articles they published about her in 1977, as well as several more from 1978 through 1980. They also published articles about California Supreme going back to the 1960’s, as well as material from Mildred Burke. Sometime in the late 1970’s they purported to take a poll of their readers as to whether or not they wanted apartment wrestling. It seems like they ran that poll for two years or more before finally claiming that readers voted in favor of it, and around 1980 they did run a few short apartment wrestling articles. One potentially significant difference between the Sports Review chain of magazines and the Wrestling Revue chain was that Sports Review would almost always have pictures of apartment wrestling on their front cover and around 1977 their front cover would sometimes be completely covered by an apartment wrestling picture. By contrast, amateur female wrestlers were almost never depicted on the front cover of the Wrestling Revue magazines. You will see the potential significance of this later in this post.

Bill Apter was a writer and key figure during that time for the Sports Review chain. He wrote a book about his experience in pro wrestling publishing in a book called
“Is pro wrestling fixed? I didn’t know that it was broken.” I read it about three years ago, although I think I lost my copy. Anyway, in part of his book he wrote about a controversy over publishing apartment wrestling that, so far as I can tell, took place between the pro wrestling community and the Wrestling Review publishers. Part of what made this so fascinating to me was that this dispute took place almost entirely out of public view, I am quite certain that the Sports Review magazines never publicly acknowledged that there was an issue at all, and with one possible exception I don’t think that any of the pro wrestling promoters or wrestlers ever acknowledged it either. According to Apter, at some point the promoters started to complain about the apartment wrestling articles. It is not clear to me if the concerns were from the promoters themselves or from the wrestlers or possibly fans, or possibly a combination of those groups. I need to briefly digress and point out that, ultimately, the promoters, the wrestlers, and the wrestling magazine publishers all had a common interest in the popularity of professional wrestling. Even so, Sports Review balked at abolishing apartment wrestling from their magazines. I don’t think Apter explained exactly why they would not stop publishing apartment wrestling but I think I have a pretty good idea why. Covers with apartment wrestling started coming out on a regular basis around 1975, by 1977 some covers would be taken over by a full page picture of apartment wrestling. I am pretty certain that the publishers would not have done that unless they concluded that the bigger the apartment wrestling picture on their cover, the higher the sales of that issue would be. On top of that, around the mid to late 1970’s they published a series of special issues, “Battling Girls”. It wouldn’t have made any sense to have done that unless apartment wrestling was generating a lot of sales, which was the bottom line for the publisher.

OK, OK, I know people are wondering, “What does any of this have to do with Judell Dulong?”. I will get to that in just a moment.

According to Apter, this was a simmering issue that did not get resolved quickly or easily. Finally, the promoters issued an ultimatum, if Sports Review did not stop publishing apartment wrestling articles, the promoters would shut off all access to the wrestlers and managers. This was a risky move by the promoters because they benefitted quite a bit from the wrestling magazines. But the ultimatum worked and Sports Review stopped publishing articles and photos of apartment wrestling. This explains why, as late as the summer of 1983 Sports Review still included an article about apartment wrestling, and then in the next issue there was nothing. So far as I can recall Sports Review did not say anything in advance that they were going to stop publishing apartment wrestling, and after they stopped, I don’t think that they ever explained or ever acknowledged the cessation.

So what does all of this have to do with Judell Dulong? Sports Review never did an article about Judell Dulong, even after 1983. But I wonder if part of the reason the Wrestling Revue magazines did so many articles on her was because they sensed that if they did anything related to apartment wrestling they would have faced blowback from the promoters and wrestlers, but they could safely publish articles about Judell Dulong without jeopardizing their relationships with the promoters and wrestlers. This might also explain why they ran a poll about apartment wrestling for, I believe, two years before finally announcing the results; I suspect that it took a lot less than two years to run a simple yes-or-no poll. And even when they did run apartment wrestling articles they kept them off the front cover.
Thanks for the above.

Here is the definitive site for SRW, which was my introduction to all this in the 70's.

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

& then found this

Now re-reading the stories and the posed pictorials you realize the silliness of it all, but as a 12 years old, it was my great discovery and intro to FvsF.

I can see how there would be conflicts as wrestling held out some legitimacy and SRW more and more highlighted these stories and I gobbled them up each month.

And then as you said starting in 1981, slowly AHW stories were shorter, less compelling, accompanying pictures fewer and fewer (if not recycled) and then one day they were gone.

Why I was turned on and continues today was that the early stories were compelling and there was a built up hiearachy and these girls often were purported as skilled. While the description of the wrestling held little inbterest (the pictures did that), the story was paramount. You had a champion Cynara, Salome and then there were others that appeared multiple times who were top wrestlers (Jenny's stories were very good) and then there was the one offs that had excitement and a backstory written in. You had too some famous porn stars posing (Seka, Rosemary Lorenz, Hanna Vick & Sun Ling).

And for those who want the best compilation, buy Theo Ehret's Exquisite Mayhem.

And finally a great video discussing in detail

Then came stories in magazines that unabashedly were adult in content such as Cavalier and of course now videos on VHS, which I could find maybe Golden Girls or California Supreme, but at expensive prices of $80-$100, most of which did not meet what I imagined in my head.

First one's I ordered through the mail would have been Ken Star or similar as internet was still rudimentary and in it's infancy.

Learned about Judell only in the late 80's.

Last edited by fvsfforever; 05-Jun-23 at 19:30.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to fvsfforever For This Useful Post:
Old 05-Jun-23, 16:32
Points: 3,810, Level: 26 Points: 3,810, Level: 26 Points: 3,810, Level: 26
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements

Great observations. I was 15 when I purchased my first Sports Review and it was only because of the apartment match. It was the July 1977 issue featuring Gail and Kyla. All these years later I still get turned on looking at those old mags. I remember ordering Battling Girls magazines through the mail and sweating making sure I got to the mail before my parents. First video I ordered was one featuring a wrestler named Patty Sanchez. She had on a one piece leopard print bathing suit. She wrestled a blonde woman and just took her apart.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Npom For This Useful Post:
Old 05-Jun-23, 17:38
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts

I recall a Bruno Sammartino interview in one of those wrestling magazines of the era. He complained about "those" articles, saying he wouldn't want his son seeing "The Night They Battled In The Nude" type stories.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stymie For This Useful Post:

Tags
female wrestling, judell dulong, oldies