Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Wrestling & Fighting Discussion

Old 04-Jul-18, 02:36
Points: 9,289, Level: 41 Points: 9,289, Level: 41 Points: 9,289, Level: 41
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,302 Times in 97 Posts
Default Re: Female BJJ Pros vs. Average Men

Times sure have changed. I can see it now. Hunny someone is breaking into the house. Man tells the wife to go and check on it, while he hides and calls the police.
Old 05-Jul-18, 19:18
Points: 3,489, Level: 24 Points: 3,489, Level: 24 Points: 3,489, Level: 24
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

My wife is a very skilled martial artist and can easily tap me out....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesspin [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Times sure have changed. I can see it now. Hunny someone is breaking into the house. Man tells the wife to go and check on it, while he hides and calls the police.
I swear if someone broke into our house they would probably end up with a snapped neck If my wife got hold of them! I’d defo send her she is a trained killer!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strat1970 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-Jul-18, 15:34
Points: 3,518, Level: 24 Points: 3,518, Level: 24 Points: 3,518, Level: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anji [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I am surprise there is still a debate I have trained wrestling for 4 years and BJJ for 5 years, and I can easily defeat younger, stronger and heavier guys with ease if they have not grappling experience. All the big guys with little to not background in ground fighting (White belts) that come to the academy are easy prey, they do not know the basic principles and techniques of the art: leverage, timing, base, balance, push pull, head/hip control, use of the legs as second arms, techniques such as armbars from all positions, guillotines, triangles, leg locks, chokes and strangles etc. In Gracie Jiu-Jitsu there are around 600 techniques, composed of sweeps, escapes, reversals, defenses, attacks from every position: side control, mount, back, guard, half guard, standing, inverted etc. Strength is good. Strength plus technique is ideal, competing in a real tournament is a test of mental and physical toughness and gives you great confidence
This is very true. It doesn't help that for a lot of guys it's a fantasy so they stuff around and don't take it seriously. Alternatively, a lot of guys think its all about energy whereas its more about technique and composure.

As a relatively untrained male, I find I can defend myself well but struggle big time to score a submission of my own. That's where skill comes into play.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wrestling47 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-Jul-18, 21:02
Points: 18,311, Level: 58 Points: 18,311, Level: 58 Points: 18,311, Level: 58
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 2,928 Times in 486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anji [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I don't want to drag the subject for too long, this thread is starting to look like reddit bjj like I said in the deleted post, as a competitive grappler for the last ten years I have seen it all, so yes, I have seen a few strong guys just escape from armbars and other submissions by use of sheer force, but it may have been also because the other person was not very strong and did not use proper technique (leverage/right use of legs/hips, timing and so on ). In real competitions, matches can be a bit chaotic at times and random stuff happens, it is not so black and white but "50 shades of grey". Also, a match/fight is not just a physical confrontation, but also mental. It is really a long and complex subject , that is why grappling is considered by many not just as an art but also a science.
Were you ever surprised by some really athletic girl who had less training than you but was able to give you hard time?
Old 06-Jul-18, 22:09
Session Wrestler
Points: 10,190, Level: 43 Points: 10,190, Level: 43 Points: 10,190, Level: 43
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 2,126 Times in 333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonia [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Were you ever surprised by some really athletic girl who had less training than you but was able to give you hard time?
One that I remember 3 years ago, was before I got my blue belt (I was still white, now I am purple) My finals at IBJJF Nationals in Las Vegas, against a younger, skinny but in good shape, innocent looking girl she looked slim but both of us were around 140 pounds (light weight), she seemed very shy and I started talking the her at the warm-up area, she told me she has not been training often and this was her second competition, I reassured her, told her to breath and relax, while thinking "easy match, easy Gold" for me, well... she pulled closed guard, I tried and tried to open her guard and suddenly got exhausted, finally got her legs open and tried a "double under" guard pass, popped a rib and could not move ! then she quickly got me in a "triangle choke" so tight I could not escape and had to tap ! I am a nice gal, so I congratulate her, her family was there and her teacher and she got promote to Blue on the podium so I was happy for her.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Anji For This Useful Post:
Old 06-Jul-18, 22:24
Points: 18,311, Level: 58 Points: 18,311, Level: 58 Points: 18,311, Level: 58
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 2,928 Times in 486 Posts

Quote:
One that I remember 3 years ago, was before I got my blue belt (I was still white, now I am purple) My finals at IBJJF Nationals in Las Vegas, against a younger, skinny but in good shape, innocent looking girl she looked slim but both of us were around 140 pounds (light weight), she seemed very shy and I started talking the her at the warm-up area, she told me she has not been training often and this was her second competition, I reassured her, told her to breath and relax, while thinking "easy match, easy Gold" for me, well... she pulled closed guard, I tried and tried to open her guard and suddenly got exhausted, finally got her legs open and tried a "double under" guard pass, popped a rib and could not move ! then she quickly got me in a "triangle choke" so tight I could not escape and had to tap ! I am a nice gal, so I congratulate her, her family was there and her teacher and she got promote to Blue on the podium so I was happy for her.
Thanks for sharing this experience. I always wondered how athletic/strong/trained women would feel if they lost to some innocent looking girly girl who they were supposed to beat. I guess it's different for men because of the whole male ego thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Amazonia For This Useful Post:
Old 07-Jul-18, 02:54
Session Wrestler
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonia [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Thanks for sharing this experience. I always wondered how athletic/strong/trained women would feel if they lost to some innocent looking girly girl who they were supposed to beat. I guess it's different for men because of the whole male ego thing.
Yes, I was surprise when I found session wrestling and discovered guys that enjoy losing to a female ! most guys at the academies really have an ego and go extremely hard, to a point of injury sometimes NOT to lose to a female I love Zen and Taoist philosophy and have learned in life and sports to be humble in victory and graceful in defeat, by the way, another girl that gave me a hard time was this match on this link, which some may have seen, that was last year when I was a Blue belt, she was extremely flexible and as you can see I keep bending her arms and she will not tap ! (I was afraid I was going to injure her ), I got lots of points and at the end, got her in an armbar, but she was tough as nails (I hug her at the end as well and told her how tough and flexible she was): [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

Last edited by Anji; 07-Jul-18 at 03:20. Reason: edit.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Anji For This Useful Post:
Old 31-Oct-21, 23:20
philla76

Quote:
Yes, I was surprise when I found session wrestling and discovered guys that enjoy losing to a female ! most guys at the academies really have an ego and go extremely hard, to a point of injury sometimes NOT to lose to a female I love Zen and Taoist philosophy and have learned in life and sports to be humble in victory and graceful in defeat, by the way, another girl that gave me a hard time was this match on this link, which some may have seen, that was last year when I was a Blue belt, she was extremely flexible and as you can see I keep bending her arms and she will not tap ! (I was afraid I was going to injure her ), I got lots of points and at the end, got her in an armbar, but she was tough as nails (I hug her at the end as well and told her how tough and flexible she was): [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
How often would you beat blue belt guys, your weight, and heavier? Gi and no Gi

I think anyone that has done bjj for at least a month would realize how little strength matters. I also think of it this way. If your coach told you on day 1 that in 5-6 years time as a purple belt you would get beaten by a new white belt, you probably wouldn't put in the countless hours on the mats. I'm not progressing as fast as the competition guys but even in a year I'd get beaten by the better blues that I've seen.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 01-Nov-21, 19:15
Session Wrestler
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by philla76 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
How often would you beat blue belt guys, your weight, and heavier? Gi and no Gi

I think anyone that has done bjj for at least a month would realize how little strength matters. I also think of it this way. If your coach told you on day 1 that in 5-6 years time as a purple belt you would get beaten by a new white belt, you probably wouldn't put in the countless hours on the mats. I'm not progressing as fast as the competition guys but even in a year I'd get beaten by the better blues that I've seen.
I not longer count or care about beating someone in training, like Master Rickson said: “When you train, you should put more emphasis on learning than on competing with your partner.”
I am focusing more and more on enjoying the art as a spiritual practice (Zen) and instilling/ingraining the Core Principles in my daily life...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anji For This Useful Post:
Old 02-Nov-21, 00:13
philla76

Quote:
I not longer count or care about beating someone in training, like Master Rickson said: “When you train, you should put more emphasis on learning than on competing with your partner.”
I am focusing more and more on enjoying the art as a spiritual practice (Zen) and instilling/ingraining the Core Principles in my daily life...
I can definitely relate to that even in my early days. I am really happy if I find a really good position or make them work hard if they're better than me. Sometimes discovering something new during mid roll is awesome.

I was keen in the past though. I've always been interested in whether a female purple belt can easily beat a male blue belt. What are your thoughts? Does the step up make a huge difference between genders? I know it does for sure between the same gender.

Tags
bjj, mixed grappling