Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Wrestling & Fighting Discussion

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 16-Aug-20, 19:37
Session Wrestler
Points: 10,164, Level: 43 Points: 10,164, Level: 43 Points: 10,164, Level: 43
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 2,126 Times in 333 Posts
Default Cecilia Brækhus: 'When I started out, women with muscles were frowned upon'

“When I started, women with muscles were frowned upon in a lot of places,” Brækhus said. “A girl wasn’t encouraged to do martial arts at all. It was hard to find trainers. I was the only girl in the gym. We weren’t allowed to go to the Olympics. Today, it’s a different world from when I started. It’s just amazing to be a part of what’s happening right now.”
[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Anji For This Useful Post:
Old 18-Aug-20, 14:15
Administrator
Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100
Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 115,688 Times in 9,926 Posts
Default Re: Cecilia Brækhus: 'When I started out, women with muscles were frowned upon'

It's true and we are living the change. Quite muscular fitness models have huge following on social media. That being said, it depends where and who, but there's still prejudice against muscular or even well-toned female body. From recent memory, one popular, gorgeous session wrestler once told me that her "normal" friends have mentioned to her that her masculinity is "too much." But we truly are seeing massive progress during our life.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Naji For This Useful Post:
Old 20-Aug-20, 18:32
Points: 5,265, Level: 30 Points: 5,265, Level: 30 Points: 5,265, Level: 30
Activity: 7.1% Activity: 7.1% Activity: 7.1%
Last Achievements

Default Re: Cecilia Brækhus: 'When I started out, women with muscles were frowned upon'

Anji, I'm curious if when you started martial arts if there were people who did encourage your participation. Did you ever worry about your body becoming to muscular from training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anji [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
“When I started, women with muscles were frowned upon in a lot of places,” Brækhus said. “A girl wasn’t encouraged to do martial arts at all. It was hard to find trainers. I was the only girl in the gym. We weren’t allowed to go to the Olympics. Today, it’s a different world from when I started. It’s just amazing to be a part of what’s happening right now.”
[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Old 20-Aug-20, 20:19
Session Wrestler
Points: 10,164, Level: 43 Points: 10,164, Level: 43 Points: 10,164, Level: 43
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 2,126 Times in 333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfm [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Anji, I'm curious if when you started martial arts if there were people who did encourage your participation. Did you ever worry about your body becoming to muscular from training?
Hi.
I feel in love with Martial arts since I was 12, then started wrestling classes (my brothers trained as well), one of my brothers later on became a bodybuilding champion, we used to train together at times.
In High school, started some Shaolin kung fu with couple of female friends.
I was kind of tomboyish and never cared about people calling me names, always been the artsy/mystic type living in my own world, writing poems and dressing my own way etc.
Was never encouraged but also never had too many friends and have been very independent since early age.
I always liked the muscular look and found someone like Grace Jones very attractive and unique,
now that I am wiser, I know life is a passing dream and just follow my passions with as little worries as possible

Last edited by Anji; 20-Aug-20 at 20:28.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anji For This Useful Post:
Old 20-Aug-20, 20:35
ssddfaudhey

Its crazy that men back then were so threatened by strong skilled women.Even today it still exists but its fading forsure.Women aren't afraid to show how strong they are and how skilled they can be.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 22-Aug-20, 15:03
Points: 5,265, Level: 30 Points: 5,265, Level: 30 Points: 5,265, Level: 30
Activity: 7.1% Activity: 7.1% Activity: 7.1%
Last Achievements

Anti, as always I appreciate your candor. You are truly an original of your own creation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anji [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Hi.
I feel in love with Martial arts since I was 12, then started wrestling classes (my brothers trained as well), one of my brothers later on became a bodybuilding champion, we used to train together at times.
In High school, started some Shaolin kung fu with couple of female friends.
I was kind of tomboyish and never cared about people calling me names, always been the artsy/mystic type living in my own world, writing poems and dressing my own way etc.
Was never encouraged but also never had too many friends and have been very independent since early age.
I always liked the muscular look and found someone like Grace Jones very attractive and unique,
now that I am wiser, I know life is a passing dream and just follow my passions with as little worries as possible
The Following User Says Thank You to jfm For This Useful Post: