Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Wrestling & Fighting Discussion

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 23-Feb-23, 21:52
Points: 1,033, Level: 12 Points: 1,033, Level: 12 Points: 1,033, Level: 12
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default What should the term semi-comp mean when it comes to sessions?

Hey I just wanted to ask this question when it comes to session so we can have a clear definition of what a semi comp session is and why it entails. I also want to hear others opinions on if they agree or disagree with others definitions. This is also because many session wrestlers don’t offer comp session, so semi comp is what we have to make do with. My definition of a semi comp session is where the session wrestler and the client both put up a competive effort, but not a full 100% effort. You try to win but not put yourself or the wrestler and in any compromising positions. And for boxing you just light spar with the goal to win and get the upper hand, but never punch at full power. What’s you guy’s definition?
Old 23-Feb-23, 22:00
Banned
Points: 8,782, Level: 40 Points: 8,782, Level: 40 Points: 8,782, Level: 40
Activity: 19.0% Activity: 19.0% Activity: 19.0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,529 Times in 659 Posts
Default Re: What should the term semi-comp mean when it comes to sessions?

I think it really means you just defend .. So it would be like your first 6 months of BJJ, where you're not going to get any submissions anyway, so you just try and avoid getting tapped .. which is safer, for both of you.

I'd say what you're describing *is* competitive .. Some people here talk about going 100% and getting blacklisted .. I think you'd only do that in a situation where you can be safely controlled – where there's already a lot of trust between you .. Even two trained grapplers going 100% against each other, in private, could be pretty unsafe – certainly from an injury point of view, which could put a girl out of work for 18 months.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Futuristics For This Useful Post:
Old 23-Feb-23, 22:04
Points: 11,049, Level: 45 Points: 11,049, Level: 45 Points: 11,049, Level: 45
Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,030 Posts

What good does "us" clearing it up here do? The girls you're contacting, with 99.9% probability, aren't reading this forum. But in my mind, fantasy = you more or less lie there like a SV video, semi-comp = you try to get out, push her off you, things like that, competitive = you actually try to win. Even competitive doesn't mean you cross certain boundaries with getting overly aggressive. I don't do boxing, so not sure exactly how I'd translate the terms to that, nor do I know if there's consensus on that.
The Following User Says Thank You to uxiel For This Useful Post:
Old 23-Feb-23, 22:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Futuristics [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I think it really means you just defend .. So it would be like your first 6 months of BJJ, where you're not going to get any submissions anyway, so you just try and avoid getting tapped as much as you can .. which is safer, for both of you.

I'd say what you're describing *is* competitive .. Some people here talk about going 100%, and getting blacklisted .. I think you'd only do that in a situation where you can be safely controlled .. Even two trained grapplers going 100% against each other, in private, could be pretty dangerous – certainly from an injury point of view, which could put a girl out of work for 18 months.
Ok, I see that. I stated in my post that I don’t mean a full 100% effort. For wrestling it means trying to get control but putting full effort into it. Defending yourself seems like a fantasy session to me where they hit you by you to don’t hit back or they try to submit you and try to defend yourself all you can. Semi-comp to means we try to win but the main focus on a to have fun. Like light sparing, and I think the threat of being blacklisted is what control people, and as far as your grapplers analogy that would be a competence session to me, which is why I never choose to have one as I am only there to decompress and have fun.

Added after 5 minutes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxiel [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
What good does "us" clearing it up here do? The girls you're contacting, with 99.9% probability, aren't reading this forum. But in my mind, fantasy = you more or less lie there like a SV video, semi-comp = you try to get out, push her off you, things like that, competitive = you actually try to win. Even competitive doesn't mean you cross certain boundaries with getting overly aggressive. I don't do boxing, so not sure exactly how I'd translate the terms to that, nor do I know if there's consensus on that.
This was just a way of seeing what others think of it. And some session wrestlers do post on forums here. Kim chi actually posted on her review forum not too long ago. And I agree as far as not get overly aggressive the goal is to keep safe. My confusion with the definition is when I email girls to see if semi comp means a light sparing session, they said no, it means I just block and dodge punches doesn’t seem an ounce compatible or semi competitive. You definition of competitive is my semi competitive m. The difference between semi comp and comp for me is the effort and pace you go at in it.

Last edited by TTanaBoi; 23-Feb-23 at 22:10.
The Following User Says Thank You to TTanaBoi For This Useful Post:
Old 23-Feb-23, 22:13
Banned
Points: 8,782, Level: 40 Points: 8,782, Level: 40 Points: 8,782, Level: 40
Activity: 19.0% Activity: 19.0% Activity: 19.0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,529 Times in 659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTanaBoi [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Ok, I see that. I stated in my post that I don’t mean a full 100% effort. For wrestling it means trying to get control but putting full effort into it. Defending yourself seems like a fantasy session to me where they hit you by you to don’t hit back or they try to submit you and try to defend yourself all you can. Semi-comp to means we try to win but the main focus on a to have fun. Like light sparing, and I think the threat of being blacklisted is what control people, and as far as your grapplers analogy that would be a competence session to me, which is why I never choose to have one as I am only there to decompress and have fun.
I think fantasy means you'd lose and get submitted, even if the girl had no grappling skills .. Like play fighting with a girlfriend in a submissive manner.

I've not done sessions, but I do know several session girls through my gym .. One of them is a mountain, who I could picture myself going 100% against and not even budging .. But the safety thing is a real concern .. What they call 'spazzy white belts' in BJJ is the tendency for untrained grapplers to use uncontrolled force – which they'll learn doesn't work, but is dangerous for both of you in those moments.

One bad takedown can end an athlete's career .. So from what I know, semi-comp standardly means you just defend, and you're careful, and not going to freak out or 'spazz out' when you get caught.
Old 23-Feb-23, 22:18
Temporary group
Points: 7,133, Level: 36 Points: 7,133, Level: 36 Points: 7,133, Level: 36
Activity: 7.1% Activity: 7.1% Activity: 7.1%
Last Achievements

I think it varies. With a session girl who is a strong and skilled fighter, semi means we both try to win, but never do anything that could cause injury like a real sudden move, a joint injury, or throwing someone into a wall. For a non-skilled girl, it means the guy puts up resistance but never gets overly aggressive. I have had a few girls say we were moving to overly competitive, so I eased off. I’ve also had girls ask me to ramp it up to give them more competition. It’s pretty fun when she says, “Come on, try harder.” I tend to start off on the lighter side and go harder if she is ok with it.
Old 23-Feb-23, 22:40
Points: 11,049, Level: 45 Points: 11,049, Level: 45 Points: 11,049, Level: 45
Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,030 Posts

It's really just an agreement between you and the girl. Language (terminology) is used for smooth communication. "Semi-competitive" means what the two of you agree it means, which pretty much means what she thinks it means given that she's taking certain safety risks by doing sessions.

Keep in mind if a session girl gets injured, she may be unable to earn income for months. This isn't an NFL athlete with a multi-million dollar contract and access to the best medical care. Many of the top session girls are now pushing 40 or have even hit 40, and it's easier to get injured as you get older. It's just not worth them taking big risks for a payout of $400 or whatever the cost is.

Kim Chi did post here, but hasn't logged in since January 25. Sydney Thunder and Dez are also members who have posted here, among others. Dez hasn't logged on since November, and Sydney not since 2021. Most likely they sign up, make one post, maybe show up every now and then, to advertise their businesses. The only one I can think of who's actually active in the discussion forums is Jennifer, and Anji used to be as well. A couple others post often with tour updates but probably won't read your thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to uxiel For This Useful Post:
Old 23-Feb-23, 22:42
Points: 3,809, Level: 26 Points: 3,809, Level: 26 Points: 3,809, Level: 26
Activity: 9.5% Activity: 9.5% Activity: 9.5%
Last Achievements

I've done over 20 sessions, most of them semi-comp, and my experience has been that most girls define it the way OP does, i.e. both sides trying to win but not going all out. Here is how one experienced session girl defined it for me, which I think sums it up pretty well:

"Semi comp is more so about getting sweaty and going 70-80% and I’ll tap pretty quick if you get me in a bad hold or position, whereas competitive is 100% all out and trying to get out of bad positions and holds rather than tapping early. it’s going all out to win essentially."

That said, as you can already see from this thread, this is one of the biggest gray areas in the session world, so it is vital for both parties to clarify up front what the other expects out of a semi-comp session. If I'm booking with a girl for the first time, generally the first or second line in my introductory email will involve me asking her to clarify what a semi-comp session with her is like.
Old 23-Feb-23, 23:37
Points: 26,283, Level: 70 Points: 26,283, Level: 70 Points: 26,283, Level: 70
Activity: 99.3% Activity: 99.3% Activity: 99.3%
Last Achievements

Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,828 Posts

Basically:
Fantasy = you more or less act like a dummy for her to practice moves she knows on in a fairly gentle way, you can try to escape but you never act aggressively
Semi-competitive = a playful level of wrestling, 70% effort, if she is the one who has more training things are not so intense that she can't carry on a conversation explaining the moves she's using
Full competitive = light sparring, you both try to win and things can get a bit uncomfortable and intense but at no point does anyone do things which a person watching would think are reckless, it's possible for a competitive match to be more intense but this level is expressly agreed on while chatting before you begin
Old 24-Feb-23, 01:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Futuristics [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I think fantasy means you'd lose and get submitted, even if the girl had no grappling skills .. Like play fighting with a girlfriend in a submissive manner.

I've not done sessions, but I do know several session girls through my gym .. One of them is a mountain, who I could picture myself going 100% against and not even budging .. But the safety thing is a real concern .. What they call 'spazzy white belts' in BJJ is the tendency for untrained grapplers to use uncontrolled force – which they'll learn doesn't work, but is dangerous for both of you in those moments.

One bad takedown can end an athlete's career .. So from what I know, semi-comp standardly means you just defend, and you're careful, and not going to freak out or 'spazz out' when you get caught.
I know safety is a big part of it. No one wants to get hurt at session least of all the sessioner, so that’s why I want to know everyone’s definition of it as well as the other reasons I listed. Just to see what semi comp means to some people so you can act accordingly to them or maybe even change domes perception on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxiel [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
It's really just an agreement between you and the girl. Language (terminology) is used for smooth communication. "Semi-competitive" means what the two of you agree it means, which pretty much means what she thinks it means given that she's taking certain safety risks by doing sessions.

Keep in mind if a session girl gets injured, she may be unable to earn income for months. This isn't an NFL athlete with a multi-million dollar contract and access to the best medical care. Many of the top session girls are now pushing 40 or have even hit 40, and it's easier to get injured as you get older. It's just not worth them taking big risks for a payout of $400 or whatever the cost is.

Kim Chi did post here, but hasn't logged in since January 25. Sydney Thunder and Dez are also members who have posted here, among others. Dez hasn't logged on since November, and Sydney not since 2021. Most likely they sign up, make one post, maybe show up every now and then, to advertise their businesses. The only one I can think of who's actually active in the discussion forums is Jennifer, and Anji used to be as well. A couple others post often with tour updates but probably won't read your thread.
Again I know the sessioner is risking a lot. Which is why I don’t go hard and hold back during sessions. I’m not saying a full strength session should be semi comp or even comp. And my point about Kim chi responding was just to combat your point of sessioner s not reading threads. Like you said your self they frequent the website so there is a chance they could see the thread and give their input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetuallylate2 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I've done over 20 sessions, most of them semi-comp, and my experience has been that most girls define it the way OP does, i.e. both sides trying to win but not going all out. Here is how one experienced session girl defined it for me, which I think sums it up pretty well:

"Semi comp is more so about getting sweaty and going 70-80% and I’ll tap pretty quick if you get me in a bad hold or position, whereas competitive is 100% all out and trying to get out of bad positions and holds rather than tapping early. it’s going all out to win essentially."

That said, as you can already see from this thread, this is one of the biggest gray areas in the session world, so it is vital for both parties to clarify up front what the other expects out of a semi-comp session. If I'm booking with a girl for the first time, generally the first or second line in my introductory email will involve me asking her to clarify what a semi-comp session with her is like.
Yeah I do ask before hand too, it sucks when they don’t do the session you’re looking for and have to find a girl who does. It just makes finding and scheduling a session hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyofwinter [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Basically:
Fantasy = you more or less act like a dummy for her to practice moves she knows on in a fairly gentle way, you can try to escape but you never act aggressively
Semi-competitive = a playful level of wrestling, 70% effort, if she is the one who has more training things are not so intense that she can't carry on a conversation explaining the moves she's using
Full competitive = light sparring, you both try to win and things can get a bit uncomfortable and intense but at no point does anyone do things which a person watching would think are reckless, it's possible for a competitive match to be more intense but this level is expressly agreed on while chatting before you begin
Ok, so during semi comp do you think that trying to win should be ok. Of course at the level you stated a playful one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinme [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I think it varies. With a session girl who is a strong and skilled fighter, semi means we both try to win, but never do anything that could cause injury like a real sudden move, a joint injury, or throwing someone into a wall. For a non-skilled girl, it means the guy puts up resistance but never gets overly aggressive. I have had a few girls say we were moving to overly competitive, so I eased off. I’ve also had girls ask me to ramp it up to give them more competition. It’s pretty fun when she says, “Come on, try harder.” I tend to start off on the lighter side and go harder if she is ok with it.
Yeah I think it would be nice too. I only had one session so far in my time here and I had one schedule with Gia Love but it fell through when she said she couldn’t come to my city. I’m trying to schedule one with Feisty Feminista for September, but I just need to go over the cost with her, since she says I have to pay for the session and for travel fees, which I’ll do but I need her to clarify them.

Tags
semi competitive, semi-competitive, session boxer, session wrestler, session wrestlers