Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Wrestling & Fighting Discussion

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 02-Oct-21, 13:40
Points: 6,733, Level: 35 Points: 6,733, Level: 35 Points: 6,733, Level: 35
Activity: 16.7% Activity: 16.7% Activity: 16.7%
Last Achievements

Default how much can the average fit girl lift?

How much can an average fit woman lift? I'm thinking a woman/ girl who has been lifting seriously/ heavy for at least 1 year or more. For example, how much can she deadlift, squat, benchpress and overhead press? How much can she lift on biceps curls or triceps push down? How many pulls can she do, or push ups? Or how much can she dumbbell row or barbel row? Etc.

Any girls in this forum who can answer for themselves, or their female friends, or from their experience? What exercises do you do and how heavy do you go?

Or the guys - what is your impression, from girlfriends/ wives, or women you see around you in the gym?
Old 02-Oct-21, 15:07
Points: 3,809, Level: 26 Points: 3,809, Level: 26 Points: 3,809, Level: 26
Activity: 9.5% Activity: 9.5% Activity: 9.5%
Last Achievements

Default Re: how much can the average fit girl lift?

I think this site will give you an idea: [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to perpetuallylate2 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-Oct-21, 19:14
Points: 57,567, Level: 100 Points: 57,567, Level: 100 Points: 57,567, Level: 100
Activity: 88.1% Activity: 88.1% Activity: 88.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 8,748 Times in 1,916 Posts

Personally I have seen a lot of variation with many contributing factors. Build, genetics, age and mental focus / aggression / intensity is also huge. Many women are simply not fussed about impressing people with big numbers and ego lifting - 1 rep maxes, etc.

Broadly speaking, there is less difference between male & female beginners and much more crossover than charts and averages would have you believe. Just as there is in running events I attend such as 5k park runs. It's not at all uncommon to see women outrunning men just as it's really not that uncommon to see girls with a good genetic base, good work ethic out lifting guys in commercial gyms...

The younger demographic (16-30) have definitely embraced powerlifting and lifting heavy weight for low reps a lot more than past generations where women were encouraged to use little pink dumbbells and not lift heavy.

In fact, 20+ years ago when I was starting out Boxing, the gym was pretty much a male sanctuary, especially when it came to free weights and weight training in general.

I remember a girl - a Polish girl - about 5'7, 65KG athletic frame was running the 5x5 strong lifts and after 3-4 months was up to (circa) bench pressing 55kg, squatting 75kg and deadlifting 100kg (or a tad more) all for 5 reps. Some might consider that modest, but that is absolutely more than a lot of guys you'll see lifting in commercial gyms.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jiminy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-Oct-21, 06:34
Points: 6,983, Level: 35 Points: 6,983, Level: 35 Points: 6,983, Level: 35
Activity: 7.1% Activity: 7.1% Activity: 7.1%
Last Achievements

Here is a woman that hits the gym nearly every day, if not every day.
[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
She presses 120 LBS (54 KG) for 5 reps. The average, untrained 150 LBS man can press 130 or 135 LBS (58 or 61 KG). This is a woman who trains quite hard, and she still presses significantly less than the average untrained man.

When I first started lifting weights, I started with a 135 LBS bench press. That was my starting weight. Most women, even those who train regularly, would at least struggle to press that, if not get pinned by it. The average fit woman really cannot lift that much weight. There was a competition recently at my gym to see who could lift the most weight per exercise and such. It was divided into a Men's and a Women's division. The top male bencher pressed something like 400 LBS (181 KG). The top female bencher, IIRC, may have put up 135. I think it was actually 125 or 120.
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Nobody For This Useful Post:
Old 03-Oct-21, 12:20
Points: 13,908, Level: 51 Points: 13,908, Level: 51 Points: 13,908, Level: 51
Activity: 45.2% Activity: 45.2% Activity: 45.2%
Last Achievements

Thanked 4,438 Times in 903 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Nobody [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
She presses 120 LBS (54 KG) for 5 reps. The average, untrained 150 LBS man can press 130 or 135 LBS (58 or 61 KG). This is a woman who trains quite hard, and she still presses significantly less than the average untrained man.

When I first started lifting weights, I started with a 135 LBS bench press. That was my starting weight. Most women, even those who train regularly, would at least struggle to press that, if not get pinned by it. The average fit woman really cannot lift that much weight. There was a competition recently at my gym to see who could lift the most weight per exercise and such. It was divided into a Men's and a Women's division. The top male bencher pressed something like 400 LBS (181 KG). The top female bencher, IIRC, may have put up 135. I think it was actually 125 or 120.
The bench press is supposed to be of the exercise where the difference between men and womed is supposed to be greater tough, since it only involves upper body strenght.

When you did this competition what difference did you see in exercises such as deadlift, squat, leg press and hip thrust?
Old 03-Oct-21, 14:21
Points: 6,733, Level: 35 Points: 6,733, Level: 35 Points: 6,733, Level: 35
Activity: 16.7% Activity: 16.7% Activity: 16.7%
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Nobody [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

I don't know, but in my local gym i see girls benching 135 ibs and more practically every day. But many girls don't push themselves on upper body days the same way they do on lower body days anyway, because most girls don't want to have a big upper body. But I think the potential of female upper body strength is underestimated. My ex, for example, didn't care. And she and several of her female friends outbenched me by far, (even though I should add that I had to be a bit careful due to a bad shoulder. )
Old 16-Oct-21, 02:24
Points: 5,336, Level: 31 Points: 5,336, Level: 31 Points: 5,336, Level: 31
Activity: 7.1% Activity: 7.1% Activity: 7.1%
Last Achievements

definitely a lot more today than back in the 70, 80. in the old days, it was impressive to see a girl benching over 200 lb max. today, a lot of girls can rep with it. a big bodybuilder like tazzie c, annie r can easily rep with 225!

this girl repping with 135
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wresmafan For This Useful Post:
Old 17-Oct-21, 11:33
Points: 10,709, Level: 44 Points: 10,709, Level: 44 Points: 10,709, Level: 44
Activity: 7.3% Activity: 7.3% Activity: 7.3%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,970 Times in 180 Posts

It definitley seems like woman are lifting more now than years prior.

The rise of social media has resulted in a lot of woman, and people in general, trying to mimic what they find on the platforms. There's so many instgram posts out there with ladies putting up massive amounts of weight, and those videos can serve as motivation to someone new to lifting.

I've seen some girls thrust and squat more weight than I'd ever be able to do. It would be nice if more ladies of these ladies were into this scissor scene!
The Following User Says Thank You to Lovethegrapevine For This Useful Post: