Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Wrestling & Fighting Discussion > Can women really beat men?

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 16-Sep-20, 16:30
Points: 6,754, Level: 35 Points: 6,754, Level: 35 Points: 6,754, Level: 35
Activity: 14.3% Activity: 14.3% Activity: 14.3%
Last Achievements

Default Re: Are girls getting stronger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon55 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
If you take northern Europe, what is "a lot of girls for you"?
0.1%? 0.2%?

they are actually a few on a whole population not lifting at all...
Well I have been working out at 3-4 different gyms in Oslo (capital of Norway), on and off, for quite a few years.

1. The relative amount of girls vs guys are now close to 50/50 (I haven't counted, but it is an estimation based on observation). If you go back a few years, to, let's say 2005-2010, I'd estimate it was closer to 80% guys and 20 % girls.

2. In that period, 2005-2010, I never saw any girls really breaking a sweat lifting weights, actually almost no girls using weights at all. Today I'd say most of the girls are the gym are lifting weights (rather than doing cardio), and most of them seem to make a real effort too. As I said, I've been outlifted quite frequently in recent years, something I never experienced a few years back.

By the way, statistics from Norway (my country) has shown that strength training has had a huge increase in popularity among young norwegian girls in recent years, so that also confirms my own personal observation.
The Following User Says Thank You to alfred123 For This Useful Post:
Old 16-Sep-20, 17:17
Banned
Points: 8,399, Level: 39 Points: 8,399, Level: 39 Points: 8,399, Level: 39
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred123 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Well I have been working out at 3-4 different gyms in Oslo (capital of Norway), on and off, for quite a few years.

1. The relative amount of girls vs guys are now close to 50/50 (I haven't counted, but it is an estimation based on observation). If you go back a few years, to, let's say 2005-2010, I'd estimate it was closer to 80% guys and 20 % girls.

2. In that period, 2005-2010, I never saw any girls really breaking a sweat lifting weights, actually almost no girls using weights at all. Today I'd say most of the girls are the gym are lifting weights (rather than doing cardio), and most of them seem to make a real effort too. As I said, I've been outlifted quite frequently in recent years, something I never experienced a few years back.

By the way, statistics from Norway (my country) has shown that strength training has had a huge increase in popularity among young norwegian girls in recent years, so that also confirms my own personal observation.
Strength training? It could be anything, from pilates to bodybuilding.
Increase in popularity from 0% to 0.1%?
If you have statistics, just show them... it will spare us some time and avoid useless speculations.
Old 16-Sep-20, 22:53
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon55 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Strength training? It could be anything, from pilates to bodybuilding.
Increase in popularity from 0% to 0.1%?
If you have statistics, just show them... it will spare us some time and avoid useless speculations.
I see no point of repeating myself. I have pointed out my observation from using gyms for several years. It's not evidence in a scientific sense of course, but it is what it is.

Here is the link to the article from 2019 and a statistical overview if you are interested. It is written in norwegian though. In the overview girls are shown in dark green colour and "styrektrening" means strength training. SSB is a highly respected company doing a lot of statistical reserach in Norway.

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg chart.jpeg (85.3 KB, 59 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to alfred123 For This Useful Post:
Old 16-Sep-20, 23:09
Points: 57,605, Level: 100 Points: 57,605, Level: 100 Points: 57,605, Level: 100
Activity: 99.1% Activity: 99.1% Activity: 99.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 8,751 Times in 1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred123 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I see no point of repeating myself. I have pointed out my observation from using gyms for several years. It's not evidence in a scientific sense of course, but it is what it is.

Here is the link to the article from 2019 and a statistical overview if you are interested. It is written in norwegian though. In the overview girls are shown in dark green colour and "styrektrening" means strength training. SSB is a highly respected company doing a lot of statistical reserach in Norway.

good stuff Alfred. It's obvious to anyone that goes to a gym that more women are lifting weights than ever before. garcon is obviously a hermit and probably still thinks only 0.1% of kids stopped playing with marbles and hoops since the 60s.
Old 17-Sep-20, 07:57
Banned
Last Achievements

Quote:

I traducted it and there is nothing about "lifting heavy"
They talk about "strength training" which accounts for fitness or pilates or even yoga...for example women make more group trainings which are typically no heavy lifting.

Last edited by garcon55; 17-Sep-20 at 08:09.
Old 17-Sep-20, 21:08
Last Achievements

Quote:
I traducted it and there is nothing about "lifting heavy"
They talk about "strength training" which accounts for fitness or pilates or even yoga...for example women make more group trainings which are typically no heavy lifting.
I see this in context with my own observations as well, which you don't regard as evidence at all. So I think we are not getting anywhere with our discussion. Should we leave it at that?
Old 18-Sep-20, 06:28
Banned
Last Achievements

Quote:
I see this in context with my own observations as well, which you don't regard as evidence at all. So I think we are not getting anywhere with our discussion. Should we leave it at that?
An observation is never an evidence.
If i look at the window, i observe that the earth is flat.

But it doesn't matter.

Are there more women "lifting heavy" in your gym than men?
Or 50/50?
Old 18-Sep-20, 13:54
Last Achievements

Quote:
An observation is never an evidence.
If i look at the window, i observe that the earth is flat.

But it doesn't matter.

Are there more women "lifting heavy" in your gym than men?
Or 50/50?
All science begins with observation, though. And in this case, the statistics are in support om my observations as well.

Why did I never see any girls squatting or dealifting more than me 10-15 years ago?

i
Old 18-Sep-20, 18:39
Banned
Last Achievements

Quote:
All science begins with observation, though. And in this case, the statistics are in support om my observations as well.

Why did I never see any girls squatting or dealifting more than me 10-15 years ago?

i
No, no science begins in ONE observation. And observations alone are no science. but you mentioned already you had nothing to do with science.
And which statistics?
the article you came with never mentions anything about lifting heavy...

it is enough to have trained once aerobic over the past year to be put in the stats "practicing strength training"... it just has nothing to do with what you are claiming here.

Last edited by garcon55; 18-Sep-20 at 19:21.
Old 19-Sep-20, 09:32
Last Achievements

Quote:
No, no science begins in ONE observation. And observations alone are no science. but you mentioned already you had nothing to do with science.
And which statistics?
the article you came with never mentions anything about lifting heavy...

it is enough to have trained once aerobic over the past year to be put in the stats "practicing strength training"... it just has nothing to do with what you are claiming here.
I have been studing at the university for 8 years, so I think I know a little bit about sicence.
Science begins with observation, but if you want quantitative research you of course need to make repeated observations under controlled conditions and systematize the results.

I have never counted the number of times I have been outlifted, but I know it is many times in recent years, but never 10-15 years ago. Surely this is no coincidence. And in addition, when I read that strenghtraining has become more popular among girls in Norway, you don't have to be Einstein to see the connection, do you?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alfred123 For This Useful Post: