Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > The Pioneers

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 07-Jun-23, 00:22
Points: 3,908, Level: 26 Points: 3,908, Level: 26 Points: 3,908, Level: 26
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Default Re: Judell DuLong

Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I recall a Bruno Sammartino interview in one of those wrestling magazines of the era. He complained about "those" articles, saying he wouldn't want his son seeing "The Night They Battled In The Nude" type stories.
Thank you. I was not aware of that, and Bill Apter did not make it clear as to exactly why the promoters were so upset about apartment wrestling. That could be a big part of it. But I think there may have been some additional reasons. Looking at it from the point of view of the promoters and wrestlers, the point of working with the wrestling magazines was to promote professional wrestling by promoting their matches. Another possible factor: in one wrestling Revue issue (Wrestling Revue generally did not publish apartment wrestling articles) there was a story about a wrestling fan convention and they spoke to a woman who I believe was the president of the fan association, and she complained about apartment wrestling as well. So you have Bruno Samartino complaining about apartment wrestling, the promoters and wrestlers were not getting any benefit from it, and maybe some of the fans were telling the promoters that they didn’t like it either. By the way, I did not have a dog in this fight, but I think indirectly Judell may have benefited from the pressure on the magazines to stop including apartment wrestling because she was in a position to offer the magazines a safer, less controversial approach. I don’t think Apter specified exactly when the pressure on the magazines began, but I am going to guess it was around 1977, which is when the apartment wrestling photos would take up practically the entire cover. Wrestling Revue magazines did articles on Judell as early as 1973, but it seems like 1977-1979 was when a large number of articles on the Amazon were published.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 3dlaserfan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-Jun-23, 11:14
Banned
Points: 5,899, Level: 32 Points: 5,899, Level: 32 Points: 5,899, Level: 32
Activity: 58.5% Activity: 58.5% Activity: 58.5%

Default Re: Judell DuLong

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dlaserfan [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Thank you. I was not aware of that, and Bill Apter did not make it clear as to exactly why the promoters were so upset about apartment wrestling. That could be a big part of it. But I think there may have been some additional reasons. Looking at it from the point of view of the promoters and wrestlers, the point of working with the wrestling magazines was to promote professional wrestling by promoting their matches. Another possible factor: in one wrestling Revue issue (Wrestling Revue generally did not publish apartment wrestling articles) there was a story about a wrestling fan convention and they spoke to a woman who I believe was the president of the fan association, and she complained about apartment wrestling as well. So you have Bruno Samartino complaining about apartment wrestling, the promoters and wrestlers were not getting any benefit from it, and maybe some of the fans were telling the promoters that they didn’t like it either. By the way, I did not have a dog in this fight, but I think indirectly Judell may have benefited from the pressure on the magazines to stop including apartment wrestling because she was in a position to offer the magazines a safer, less controversial approach. I don’t think Apter specified exactly when the pressure on the magazines began, but I am going to guess it was around 1977, which is when the apartment wrestling photos would take up practically the entire cover. Wrestling Revue magazines did articles on Judell as early as 1973, but it seems like 1977-1979 was when a large number of articles on the Amazon were published.
I only bought SRW for the Apartment House Wrestling. I like wrestling, knew everyone, watched on the weekends and certainly read every article, but never bought any of the other magazines during that time.

Interesting to see the #'s and the largest distribution during that time when there were probably 4 mainstream magazines being sold.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fvsfforever For This Useful Post:

Tags
female wrestling, judell dulong, oldies