Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Wrestling & Fighting Pictures

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 04-Jun-20, 16:29
Points: 563,346, Level: 100 Points: 563,346, Level: 100 Points: 563,346, Level: 100
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 47,590 Times in 2,517 Posts
Default Re: Action Actresses in Obscure Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by verscont [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
That's because the focus switched to the Zebra-jacketed Girls Karate School Sensei played by Susan Mechsner. If her name isn't familiar, take a look below where she beats up Magnum and prepares to wallow in the mud in Stripes. Further stills are from The Man Who Loved Women and Private Resort, and she was also a wrestler in All The Marbles.
OK, that's spooky. Because if Lovely but Deadly was my go to movie for F/M fighting back in the days when I was actually into that, then my F/F movie of choice at that time was ...All The Marbles. Or, as I originally knew it by it's UK title, The California Dolls. Apparently the reason the movie was renamed over here was that distributors didn't consider the phrase "all the marbles" to be commonplace enough in the UK that people would know what it meant.

I first saw All the Marbles on 12th June, 1989, about two weeks shy of my 16th birthday. The reason I can be so specific about that date is that I remember the movie being shown on BBC2 as part of the 'Moviedrome' series, which screened cult films on a weekly basis with an introduction by British film director, Alex Cox. And with a little googling, I was able to find a transcript of his intro (and the date the movie aired) [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] I didn't see the movie on the actual night it was broadcast, but did record it. I remember telling my folks that I only wanted to see it because Peter Falk was in it. And in retrospect, I can't say for definite if I'd have watched it the following day. It all depends on when I next had a little privacy in the house!

Suffice to say, at that point in my life, the amount of proper female wrestling I'd ever seen had been restricted to maybe catching a very rare clip of Japanese women's wrestling on a documentary series. Or there'd be a female wrestling plot on a US TV show, like The Fall Guy and The Bionic Woman. But that was it. Even at the height of the British wrestling era, when wrestling would air on "World of Sport" every Saturday afternoon, Women's matches were basically non-existent. So, when the very first proper scene in All The Marbles takes us straight into a tag-match in progress, I was understandably very excited!

Obviously these days, we are spoilt by the amount of wrestling/combat material that's available to us. And with such variety comes... I don't want to say higher standards, but certainly different ones. Because when I look at the fights in All The Marbles today, I'm much more aware of the numerous cutaways to the crowd, often to extreme close ups of baying faces. And that's a pretty hefty cold shower right there!

That being said, in between the shots of the crowd and whatever Harry is doing at ringside, every fight in the movie has a few beautiful moments, all of which found their way onto my 'mix tape' when I was finally able to copy the movie a few years later. And it's an enormous testament to Vicki Frederick and Lauren Landon that they are clearly doing all, or at the absolute least, around 90% of all the stunts/fights in the movie.

It probably says a lot about how I prioritise my female combat fetish, because whether I'm 16 or 47, my least favourite match in the movie has always remained the same; the mud wrestling match. There's a cliche among 'mainstream' movies that mud-wrestling (or custard or jello or whatever) is sexy. And yet, as someone for whom pretty much ALL wrestling is already hot, the addition of any substance does nothing for me at all. And whilst the mud-wrestling scene in Marbles is the only time we see any mid-fight nudity, I find it less considerably stimulating than any other match in the movie.

However, discovering that one of the mud wrestlers is played by the aforementioned Susan Mechsner, does at least add a little interest to the scene. Not only was she in two of the most 'influential' movies of my youth, but they were both released in the same year!

I don't think there can be much argument that the best matches in the film are those that feature the Toledo Tigers. Although there may be some debate when I say that I honestly thought they were the hotter tag-team. Not because they were the heels, which I know is often a preference for anyone in our 'group'. But literally in terms of their outright hotness. Don't get me wrong, Iris and Molly are gorgeous. But Diane and especially June are...

Now, we can't talk about the matches in All The Marbles, and indeed the entire plot of the movie, without addressing its somewhat curious nature. Obviously, the most notable aspect of the movie is how it plays out entirely in kayfabe - which is to say, it presents pro-wrestling as an actual real sport. The only suggestion of match fixing here is the same kind you'd see in a boxing movie, with dodgy referees and people asking for 'favourable' results. But the matches themselves are all played as being completely authentic. Now, as pro-wrestling fan of many years, I do find that strange. But as a female combat fan of even more years, the fact the women in the movie are actually dishing out and receiving real pain (in the context of the movie, of course!), is something of which I very much approve

The movie also exists in a universe where two women's matches could be the entire card of a major wrestling show staged in Vegas. This was some years before even GLOW was a thing, and women's wrestling in the late 70's/early 80's was lucky to get a token match on most shows, let alone be the entire basis of one.

And I've always been puzzled by the Dolls' attack on the referee in the big finale. Even in the scripted world of sports entertainment, such an act would result in an immediate disqualification. And in a world where wrestling is real and there are $10,000 at stake, you'd imagine smacking a refs head repeatedly into the canvas would warrant some penalty!

Still, fortunately for us, that doesn't happen, as the final fight between the Dolls and Tigers is an epic battle that takes up pretty much the last quarter of the movie. If Lovely but Deadly was lacking in action for its heroine for the latter half of that film, that is definitely not an issue here. And once again, we are treated to some beautiful wrestling sequences. More often than not, the best of those are when the Dolls are up against it, but that's a standard movie trope for the inevitable big finish.

I still love this movie. Both as a female fight fan and as a movie buff. I've always enjoyed Peter Falk's performances and he is superb here, ably supported by Frederick and Landon. I wouldn't call this an outright comedy, but there's enough laughs to balance out the more dramatic aspects of the story which (no pun intended) doesn't pull any punches when dealing with the realities of ambition and sacrifice.

Add to all that some amazing wrestling scenes and a feel good finish and All the Marbles remains an unsung classic, which still has yet to see a much deserved blu-ray release. And hey, whatever your own opinion of the movie might be, you have to admit it's about as unique as they come. I mean, how many movies could finish with two women's butts in the air being portrayed as a triumphant moment?!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marbles04.jpg (140.7 KB, 1085 views)
File Type: jpg Marbles05.jpg (107.4 KB, 1084 views)
File Type: jpg Marbles06.jpg (119.4 KB, 1080 views)
File Type: jpg Marbles07.jpg (143.2 KB, 1077 views)
File Type: jpg Marbles08.jpg (97.4 KB, 1083 views)
File Type: jpg Marbles09.jpg (134.0 KB, 1079 views)
File Type: jpg Marbles10.jpg (144.1 KB, 1085 views)
File Type: jpg Marbles01.jpg (87.7 KB, 1080 views)
File Type: jpg Marbles02.jpg (113.7 KB, 1076 views)
File Type: jpg Marbles03.jpg (155.1 KB, 1084 views)
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to FootPower For This Useful Post:
Old 04-Jun-20, 21:35
Points: 18,362, Level: 59 Points: 18,362, Level: 59 Points: 18,362, Level: 59
Last Achievements

Thanked 3,337 Times in 412 Posts

Thanks for your detailed look at "All the Marbles."

I had a big crush on Tracy Reed back in the day (still do actually), so I remember renting out the VHS. I recall being disappointed that their was a lack of MvF action, but then again....Tracy Reed.
The Following User Says Thank You to dadd90 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-Jun-20, 21:55
Points: 2,398,739, Level: 100 Points: 2,398,739, Level: 100 Points: 2,398,739, Level: 100
Activity: 100.0% Activity: 100.0% Activity: 100.0%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 489,368 Times in 24,740 Posts

i remember the mixed fight where Vicki Frederick pins both the ref & her female opponent.
Vicky was so hot
my vhs version is not the best quality, really would like to see that scene in hd.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vicki Frederick.jpg (89.0 KB, 22 views)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bartos For This Useful Post:
Old 05-Jun-20, 05:40
Points: 276,521, Level: 100 Points: 276,521, Level: 100 Points: 276,521, Level: 100
Activity: 99.5% Activity: 99.5% Activity: 99.5%
Last Achievements

Thanked 68,219 Times in 6,815 Posts

Wow! Thanks for that comprehensive review @[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]. I taped 'California Dolls' off the television onto VHS, and it has been in the basement for 20 years now. I remember the original title too; and true enough I had no idea what 'All The Marbles' meant. So I think, on this occasion, it made sense to change it over here in the UK. There was another, much grittier, low budget female wrestling movie I recorded on TV around the same time, but I can't remember much about it. I'll have a stab at the title beginning with 'B' and the lead actress maybe having a German name (Regina?) But I could also be way off the mark after such a long time.

Moving along, here's a feisty girl I've already featured this week performing a fatal strangling:

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

[1-11] Now it's time for her contribution to the final group fight. She begins in traditional style by pairing off with the female member of the gang, a Narco Babe in Black. But after the (anti-)heroine pounces on her intended prey, they roll off the vehicle and she finds herself disadvantaged by the knife-wielding Senorita. But there's plenty of strength in those wiry arms so, despite having to grip the blade, she manages to turn the tables. The heavier, black-clad vixen is then dragged to her knees and has her head bashed against a door.

[12-27] But there's no time to recover as she turns her attention to a male gang member close-by. He's already lost a hand, but is still firing a pistol with the one he has left. In a strange - but elegant and effective - single movement, she: grabs his gun arm and drags him to his feet; twists underneath him to disarm him by snapping his elbow; falls away (still holding the arm) to throw him on his back; and continues her own momentum to roll and land on top of him in a schoolgirl pin. But then it gets even weirder. Now her victim has no upper limbs to defend himself, she finishes him off with... some amateur and very bloody dentistry?
Attached Images
File Type: png Kellie17.png (594.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: png Kellie18.png (579.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: png Kellie19.png (662.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: png Kellie20.png (817.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: png Kellie21.png (364.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: png Kellie22.png (972.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: png Kellie23.png (913.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: png Kellie24.png (1.03 MB, 7 views)
File Type: png Kellie25.png (1.07 MB, 10 views)
File Type: png Kellie26.png (715.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: png Kellie27.png (779.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: png Kellie28.png (516.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: png Kellie29.png (609.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: png Kellie30.png (618.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: png Kellie31.png (689.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: png Kellie32.png (681.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: png Kellie33.png (560.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: png Kellie34.png (837.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: png Kellie35.png (420.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: png Kellie36.png (523.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: png Kellie37.png (611.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: png Kellie38.png (562.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: png Kellie39.png (514.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: png Kellie40.png (398.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: png Kellie41.png (1.13 MB, 33 views)
File Type: png Kellie42.png (970.7 KB, 49 views)
File Type: png Kellie43.png (797.1 KB, 31 views)
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to verscont For This Useful Post:
Old 05-Jun-20, 06:18
Points: 563,346, Level: 100 Points: 563,346, Level: 100 Points: 563,346, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Thanked 47,590 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by verscont [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Wow! Thanks for that comprehensive review @[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]. I taped 'California Dolls' off the television onto VHS, and it has been in the basement for 20 years now. I remember the original title too; and true enough I had no idea what 'All The Marbles' meant. So I think, on this occasion, it made sense to change it over here in the UK. There was another, much grittier, low budget female wrestling movie I recorded on TV around the same time, but I can't remember much about it. I'll have a stab at the title beginning with 'B' and the lead actress maybe having a German name (Regina?) But I could also be way off the mark after such a long time.
Yep. That would be [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register], which released a year prior to Marbles.

Likewise, I remember recording it when it rocked up on TV one day. But I also remember being really disappointed in it, so much so that I can barely remember a single thing about it. I might have to go a'searching to track down a copy and try and pin down () why it made so little impression on me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FootPower For This Useful Post:
Old 05-Jun-20, 06:26
Points: 77,348, Level: 100 Points: 77,348, Level: 100 Points: 77,348, Level: 100
Activity: 64.3% Activity: 64.3% Activity: 64.3%
Last Achievements

Thanked 19,665 Times in 2,347 Posts

Quote:
Many thanks for that. I agree with you how strange it was for the main heroine to disappear from the climactic fight. But I wasn't too disappointed! That's because the focus switched to the Zebra-jacketed Girls Karate School Sensei played by Susan Mechsner. If her name isn't familiar, take a look below where she beats up Magnum and prepares to wallow in the mud in Stripes. Further stills are from The Man Who Loved Women and Private Resort, and she was also a wrestler in All The Marbles.

As you can see in the publicity snaps afterwards, Ms. Mechsner was very much the genuine article when it came to martial arts expertise. And it reminded me that we briefly discussed Lovely But Deadly in another thread recently. So I've finished off with its alternative UK VHS title and cover art - that looked nothing like the action inside.
Kiss my knee!

Love kicks in skirt
Old 05-Jun-20, 18:22
Points: 4,470, Level: 28 Points: 4,470, Level: 28 Points: 4,470, Level: 28
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartos [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
i remember the mixed fight where Vicki Frederick pins both the ref & her female opponent.
Vicky was so hot
my vhs version is not the best quality, really would like to see that scene in hd.
I have the whole movie in HD quality if you like me to upload here.
Old 05-Jun-20, 21:36
Points: 2,398,739, Level: 100 Points: 2,398,739, Level: 100 Points: 2,398,739, Level: 100
Activity: 100.0% Activity: 100.0% Activity: 100.0%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 489,368 Times in 24,740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigphill [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I have the whole movie in HD quality if you like me to upload here.
that would be fantastic Bigphill, but i would also be very happy with only the mixed fighting scenes.
and of course we have a bunch of fans who would like to see the catfighting in hd.

Last edited by bartos; 05-Jun-20 at 21:41.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bartos For This Useful Post:
Old 05-Jun-20, 22:11
Points: 25,653, Level: 70 Points: 25,653, Level: 70 Points: 25,653, Level: 70
Activity: 11.9% Activity: 11.9% Activity: 11.9%
Last Achievements

Thanked 4,347 Times in 1,043 Posts

Please can upload the fem vs fem match ?
Old 06-Jun-20, 18:02
Points: 4,470, Level: 28 Points: 4,470, Level: 28 Points: 4,470, Level: 28
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartos [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
that would be fantastic Bigphill, but i would also be very happy with only the mixed fighting scenes.
and of course we have a bunch of fans who would like to see the catfighting in hd.
Here it is!
I am by no means a computer expert, so maybe someone else with more computer know-how than me could split the film into the various fighting scenes?

Hope you enjoy

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigphill For This Useful Post:

Tags
germany