Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Women's MMA

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 16-Dec-21, 22:38
Points: 3,009, Level: 22 Points: 3,009, Level: 22 Points: 3,009, Level: 22
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Default Re: WOW Julianna Pena Taps Nunes With RNC @ 3:23 Of 2nd Round!

I honestly would still favor Amanda in a rematch.

Yes Pena is very tough and gritty but her one weapon that really helped her in round 2, the jab, has a very good counter in the low calf kick. A kick ATT, Amanda's camp, excels in teaching.

Pena is also very prone to making careless mistakes. Like her losses to Valentina and Germaine. She was arguably winning both of those fights but got caught in submissions.

I can see Amanda employing the same strategy she used in the second Valentina fight. Slowly herd Pena against the cage and outpoint her with low power punches and leg kicks.
The Following User Says Thank You to mustang40k For This Useful Post:
Old 16-Dec-21, 23:59
Points: 5,471, Level: 31 Points: 5,471, Level: 31 Points: 5,471, Level: 31
Last Achievements

I wonder how many fights Amanda has left on her UFC contract? If it’s just one she should defend her 145 title against maybe Spencer again, and then go after the big fight with Kayla.

But not in the UFC. And not at 145. It should be at 155 or 150, which both should easily make and help with the stamina issue. And they should align with an independent promoter (Triller maybe) or sell it to Fox or Turner for PPV on their own where they control how much money they make, not Endeavor or Disney. They’ll do much better.

As for the 135 division, it’s certainly opened up again. But as she gets older, I don’t think Amanda should be playing there anymore.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rated G For This Useful Post:
Old 17-Dec-21, 16:12
Points: 3,168, Level: 23 Points: 3,168, Level: 23 Points: 3,168, Level: 23
Activity: 7.1% Activity: 7.1% Activity: 7.1%
Last Achievements

i popped a boner in this fight, nunes always seemed like a man to me while pena seemed like a girl lmao
The Following User Says Thank You to ZSSamus For This Useful Post:
Old 17-Dec-21, 21:45
Points: 11,563, Level: 46 Points: 11,563, Level: 46 Points: 11,563, Level: 46
Activity: 45.2% Activity: 45.2% Activity: 45.2%
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,006 Times in 624 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSSamus [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
i popped a boner in this fight, nunes always seemed like a man to me while pena seemed like a girl lmao
Nunes seems more like a serious dyke but always up for a serious battle.
The Following User Says Thank You to bizyz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-Jan-22, 21:50
Points: 57,582, Level: 100 Points: 57,582, Level: 100 Points: 57,582, Level: 100
Activity: 92.9% Activity: 92.9% Activity: 92.9%
Last Achievements

Thanked 8,751 Times in 1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang40k [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I honestly would still favor Amanda in a rematch.

Yes Pena is very tough and gritty but her one weapon that really helped her in round 2, the jab, has a very good counter in the low calf kick. A kick ATT, Amanda's camp, excels in teaching.

Pena is also very prone to making careless mistakes. Like her losses to Valentina and Germaine. She was arguably winning both of those fights but got caught in submissions.

I can see Amanda employing the same strategy she used in the second Valentina fight. Slowly herd Pena against the cage and outpoint her with low power punches and leg kicks.

Nunes was already having success with calf kicks but Pena appeared to be prepared for this and adjusted and checked this one.

Get one calf kick wrong (hit the side of the knee, or the kick is checked or you connect with the bridge of the foot) and you can easily hurt yourself more than your opponent.

Let's face it, Pena is better than many of us are giving her credit.

Her striking might look hokey, but when have we seen someone landing on Nunes like that?

When Pena came forward on Germaine de Randamie, landing girly arm punches, I thought it was just because de Randamie had no respect for Pena's striking, but now that must be reassessed. Remember de Randamie is a 46-0 kick boxer that also famously knocked out a man. Nunes also was getting outstruck by GDR before she took her down.

This stuff doesn't have to look good, it just has to work.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jiminy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-Jan-22, 06:20
Points: 3,009, Level: 22 Points: 3,009, Level: 22 Points: 3,009, Level: 22
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminy [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Let's face it, Pena is better than many of us are giving her credit.
For sure, I've always thought she was better than her record suggested. As you pointed out she was doing well against GDR. She was also pretty much manhandling Shevchenko. Both times she got careless and got caught in submissions.

She's a very good fighter. I simply don't believe she's as good as Nunes, despite that victory.

I think the whole calf kick thing was inconclusive. If she had hurt her foot during the fight, someone from her gym would probably have leaked it already even if Nunes has too much class to use it as an excuse herself.
The Following User Says Thank You to mustang40k For This Useful Post:
Old 25-Feb-22, 03:26
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts

Article from 1/12/22

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stymie For This Useful Post:
Old 25-Feb-22, 21:44
Points: 13,934, Level: 51 Points: 13,934, Level: 51 Points: 13,934, Level: 51
Activity: 40.5% Activity: 40.5% Activity: 40.5%
Last Achievements

Thanked 4,439 Times in 904 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Article from 1/12/22

Interesting anecdote, it would be nice to have more information on the guy like how big and fit he was or if he had any athletic background or some previous experience in some martial arts/combat sport when he was younger.
She said it happened when she had just started training and she had just two amateur bouts, so it means it happened in 2008 when she had around 1 year of experience.
I would like to see how it would go in a rematch today after 14 years of training.
Old 26-Feb-22, 20:30
Banned
Points: 5,899, Level: 32 Points: 5,899, Level: 32 Points: 5,899, Level: 32
Activity: 58.5% Activity: 58.5% Activity: 58.5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbow Escape [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Interesting anecdote, it would be nice to have more information on the guy like how big and fit he was or if he had any athletic background or some previous experience in some martial arts/combat sport when he was younger.
She said it happened when she had just started training and she had just two amateur bouts, so it means it happened in 2008 when she had around 1 year of experience.
I would like to see how it would go in a rematch today after 14 years of training.
Yes how dare a male win.

Sure he was six foot four 280 lb because no male under that could be the female.....
Old 27-Feb-22, 01:22
Points: 13,934, Level: 51 Points: 13,934, Level: 51 Points: 13,934, Level: 51
Activity: 40.5% Activity: 40.5% Activity: 40.5%
Last Achievements

Thanked 4,439 Times in 904 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvsfforever [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Yes how dare a male win.

Sure he was six foot four 280 lb because no male under that could be the female.....
I just said it would be nice to know more about the guy to have a better idea of where she stood compared to the male population at the time, there in an huge difference between a 6'0 200 lbs man that work out or a 5'6 150 lbs skinny-fat guy, just like there is an immense gulf between a guy who has no clue how to fight and one who has some basic previous experience boxing or wrestling in school and so on.

I don't believe he was some sort of huge 6'4 280 lbs monster otherwise she would have very likely mentioned it, altough I think it's pretty logical to assume he was still well above average in terms of physical and athletic attributes and/or figthing prowess since even with just one year of training an athletic girl like Juliana should be able to beat most untrained men who are not particularly athletic.

I just hope that people don't jump to the conclusion that it means that an "average man" is superior to a professional female fighter since it would not only be very short-sighted but also straight-up wrong and extremely unfair for female athletes, especially when we have literally thousands of evideces and examples of women who are not anywhere near as good as current Juliana nor close to pro level still beating men in in BJJ/Wrestling/MMA etc.... competitions, and said men are usually trained athletes, combat sports practioners or marines/army soldiers who are miles above the average untrained guy.

Not to mention how professional female fighters are usually also stronger than the average man that don't work out seriously even letting aside their massive skills and cardio advantage, for example even a 115 lbs fighter like Tecia Torres can deadlift more than most men and the larger Juliana is likely even stronger than her:

To reinforce this point we also have proof of Juliana taking 2nd place in the men's division of a BJJ tournament in early 2013 and the guy who uploaded a video of him facing her in said tournament on Sherdog flat out stated that he was not physically stronger than her, and fit male BJJ competitors with a few years of grappling experience like the ones she defeated are already way above the average untrained man.
(You can see how the guy who faced her has a yotube channel with tons of videos of him competing against other skilled grapplers and he fares well, he win some and he lose some, he is not a scrub).

Ultimately I assume that the loss against the man mentioned in the article is due to him being a lot stronger and more athletic than average or due to her being very green and inexperienced at the time compared to today (which is inevitable since like I said in 2008 she had just around 1 year of training), very likely because of a mix of both.

However it's not like we can know for sure unless we saw how the fight played out, that's why I said it would be nice know more details about it before drawing conclusions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Elbow Escape For This Useful Post: