Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Women's MMA

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 18-Aug-21, 03:10
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts
Default Re: Kayla Harrison makes jump into MMA

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

Kayla Harrison

I'll Be Biggest MMA Free Agent Ever ... Contract Ends In Months
8/17/2021 12:15 PM PT
TMZSports.com

Kayla Harrison says she'll be the biggest free agent in MMA history in mere months ... and the current PFL star tells us she's looking for big fights and "life-changing money" wherever she signs next.

With only a few fights left on her Professional Fighters League deal, we talked to 31-year-old, undefeated (10-0) Harrison about her future in the sport.

"I worked hard my whole life to hopefully become one of the biggest free agents in the history of the sport," Harrison says.

"Obviously, if PFL comes to the table and, you know, has a good game plan, talks about life-changing money, or has a ton of new talent in the pool, then that’s something that, you know, we’re going to talk about."

Harrison clearly wants big fights against top competition ... namely Cris Cyborg and Amanda Nunes.

"I’m not here to be second best," Kayla says, later continuing ... "And, right now I feel like those two females who are my weight, are ahead of me. So, you know, when the time is right, and hopefully the stars align and everything works out, I get to fight, you know, Cyborg preferably."

We also asked Kayla -- who'll presumably have every organization from PFL, Bellator, ONE and UFC recruiting her -- whether she thinks she'll be the most coveted free agent in the history of the sport.

"Thus far in the history of the sport, I think I will be. But, again, I have to go do my job, you know, I have to go out, I have to dominate, I have to put on a hell of a show and make it so that everyone wants to tune in and see what Kayla Harrison is up to on Thursday nights."

FYI, PFL fights typically go down on Thursdays.

In fact, Harrison has a big fight this week ... she's gotta beat 31-year-old Genah Fabian at PFL 8 on Thursday -- for a chance to continue in the $1 million tourney.
The Following User Says Thank You to stymie For This Useful Post:
Old 18-Aug-21, 11:43
Points: 10,043, Level: 43 Points: 10,043, Level: 43 Points: 10,043, Level: 43
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements

Kayla is really big. Could she cut enough weight to fight in UFC or Bellator and how would it affect her?
Old 18-Aug-21, 18:54
Points: 57,557, Level: 100 Points: 57,557, Level: 100 Points: 57,557, Level: 100
Activity: 85.7% Activity: 85.7% Activity: 85.7%
Last Achievements

Thanked 8,746 Times in 1,915 Posts

Not sure she'll get the pay she's looking for on the "free market". Depends if the UFC see her as someone they can potentially market as a big star. To do that she'll need to beat competition that will be a big step up from what she has faced in the PFL.

She couldn't get Larissa Pacheco out of there, fought to a decision. Pacheco has UFC experience and was stopped by de Randamie and Jessica Andrade(!).

The first thing Dana will ask is "who has she beaten" ... and then have to make a risk assessment of who she can beat. No point signing her for big money and she loses to the likes of Felicia Spencer.

Same thing for Scott Coker.

UFC has been trying to do the sport "on the cheap" for a number of years now. Cyborg was only offered a meagre deal (probably the 2nd biggest draw after Holly and a bigger draw than Nunes or Valentina) and as I said Cyborg shouldn't be fighting cheap at this point in her career.

So far I think Holly is still the biggest draw amongst the women with Ronda out of the picture.

Julia Budd is also at the end of her Bellator contract. It would be a great time for Dana to sign Budd and Harrison and really focus on the 145 division.

Harrison, Budd, Wolf, Holm. That's a good, exciting division of big girls, physical specimens. Trouble is, you've got Nunes - an unmarketable fighter - spoiling the picture.
Old 18-Aug-21, 23:33
Producer
Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72
Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,447 Times in 1,066 Posts

Speaking UFC only, I think there are 2 ways to go with Kayla. Either give her an immediate shot at Amanda - one setup fight, then a title match right away - or shelve her and let her build up her resumé in hopes of creating a superfight in about 3 years, assuming, of course, that Amanda would hold the belt that long.

Kayla's goofy, so her trash talk will never be marketable, but she's likable, and most of all, she's highly skilled.

Note: I did not realize that Cris Cyborg is only 36. I thought she was much older, like 38-39, but I looked it up just now. So, maybe you do a 3-fight series with Kayla - cupcake, then Cris, with Amanda awaiting the winner. And if Cris beats Kayla, then the next fight for Kayla would have to be a rematch with Cyborg.
Old 20-Aug-21, 11:41
Last Achievements

Well, she's got another win now. She also has, IMHO, an obnoxiously arrogant personality. But I guess it's hard to expect much modesty from an Olympic gold medalist undefeated in pro MMA. Maybe next PFL season, Cyborg could enter and fight at lightweight and we could see her go against Kayla.
Old 20-Aug-21, 19:33
Producer
Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72
Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,447 Times in 1,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermao [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Well, she's got another win now. She also has, IMHO, an obnoxiously arrogant personality. But I guess it's hard to expect much modesty from an Olympic gold medalist undefeated in pro MMA. Maybe next PFL season, Cyborg could enter and fight at lightweight and we could see her go against Kayla.
I respect your knowledge and viewpoints, but when is the last time humble sold a fight? You're a legitimate consumer, no question, but the broader market wants braggadocious talent.

The issue for me, of course, is that it seems to be outside her comfort zone. It's unnatural, forced, contrived. She knows she's one of the best fighters in the world, but doesn't walk around the street talking about it or challenging people to step to her. She has generally been content to let her resumé do the talking. Unfortunately, resumés aren't great at selling PPVs, which is where a Dana White really demonstrates his value.
Old 21-Aug-21, 12:06
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCrushes [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I respect your knowledge and viewpoints, but when is the last time humble sold a fight? You're a legitimate consumer, no question, but the broader market wants braggadocious talent.

The issue for me, of course, is that it seems to be outside her comfort zone. It's unnatural, forced, contrived. She knows she's one of the best fighters in the world, but doesn't walk around the street talking about it or challenging people to step to her. She has generally been content to let her resumé do the talking. Unfortunately, resumés aren't great at selling PPVs, which is where a Dana White really demonstrates his value.
Jiminy (above) described Holly Holm as "the biggest draw among the women". Holly is quite humble.
Old 24-Aug-21, 01:37
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts

The Following User Says Thank You to stymie For This Useful Post:
Old 13-Feb-22, 05:04
Points: 190,388, Level: 100 Points: 190,388, Level: 100 Points: 190,388, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 27,671 Times in 1,665 Posts

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Harrrison101.jpg (39.5 KB, 342 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rod212 For This Useful Post:
Old 22-Jun-22, 21:38
Points: 57,557, Level: 100 Points: 57,557, Level: 100 Points: 57,557, Level: 100
Activity: 85.7% Activity: 85.7% Activity: 85.7%
Last Achievements

Thanked 8,746 Times in 1,915 Posts

Kayla Harrison will be fighting Julia Budd on 1st July.

This will be an interesting match up as Budd has been fighting in MMA for over a decade, has been in there with Rousey, Nunes, Cyborg and has only tended to lose to the most elite fighters.

This is a test for Kayla to see if she is truly in that class of fighter. Obviously she is fully expected to win but none of her opponents so far have had the pedigree of Budd, thus we haven't been able to test her true level.

Interestingly it seems Kayla has forced Amanda Nunes out of ATT (American Top Team) and is now seemingly the Queen B at that gym. It suggests they sparred on the mats and Kayla got the better of Amanda which you would probably expect in grappling but that still must be worrisome and a knock in confidence for Nunes.

Harrison vs. Budd will also surely be one of the "most muscular" fights we have ever seen in WMMA.

Both women impressive specimens. With the fight being contested at 155lbs, there will be over 310lbs of combined weight between the 2 - and probably heavier than that on fight night.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jiminy For This Useful Post: