Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Wrestling & Fighting Discussion > Can women really beat men?

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 14-May-22, 03:07
Points: 1,743, Level: 16 Points: 1,743, Level: 16 Points: 1,743, Level: 16
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%
Last Achievements

Default At what level of wrestling is it impossible for women to compete with men?

I know high school females can beat high school males in wrestling. I also know an olympic female wrestler cannot beat a male olympic wrestler at wrestling. There must be a limit of how good a woman can be.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arthurjackson22 For This Useful Post:
Old 14-May-22, 03:13
Points: 9,571, Level: 42 Points: 9,571, Level: 42 Points: 9,571, Level: 42
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements

Default Re: At what level of wrestling is it impossible for women to compete with men?

I don't think the limit has been determined yet. There are still so many more males doing wrestling. As female wrestling continues to grow seems the females will continue to develop as wrestlers especially if the most athletic girls take up the sport at a young age giving them the time to develop like most male college wrestlers that typically start very young to be able to get a college scholarship. When I wrestled in high school a girl on the boys team was a novelty but now it seems very common. And it used to be it was older girls beating younger boys but now there are lots of examples of the just the opposite. Hard to imagine females beating males at the olympic level but maybe college level it could happen if the females were training specifically to go against the males? But with females getting their own leagues more and more, might not see much female vs male competition. I think the guys like that but I know some females prefer going against the guys.

Last edited by wsxqaz; 14-May-22 at 03:25.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wsxqaz For This Useful Post:
Old 18-May-22, 02:04
Banned
Points: 8,782, Level: 40 Points: 8,782, Level: 40 Points: 8,782, Level: 40
Activity: 19.0% Activity: 19.0% Activity: 19.0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,529 Times in 659 Posts
Default Re: At what level of wrestling is it impossible for women to compete with men?

The best female wrestlers today would've probably(?) beaten the best males 50-100 years ago .. as is the case across athletics.

There's no reason women can't be as good at the mental and technical game, so it's about how much power you can pack into a certain weight.

The thing with bell curve distributions is you only need a tiny difference in the median to create a huge difference at the extremes .. So what happens in sport is the extremes get pushed very slightly, every decade or two
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Futuristics For This Useful Post:
Old 28-May-22, 09:27
Points: 5,463, Level: 31 Points: 5,463, Level: 31 Points: 5,463, Level: 31
Activity: 9.5% Activity: 9.5% Activity: 9.5%
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsxqaz [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
But with females getting their own leagues more and more, might not see much female vs male competition. I think the guys like that but I know some females prefer going against the guys.
True, but it makes me think of the Sage Mortimer scenario, where she wasn't allowed to wrestle in the "boys only" State Tournament but was given an exhibition match against the winner and dominated him. I wonder if that's what's going to happen in the future. The best of the girls possibly facing the best of the boys, in exhibitions.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Towner90 For This Useful Post:
Old 28-May-22, 20:01
Banned
Points: 8,782, Level: 40 Points: 8,782, Level: 40 Points: 8,782, Level: 40
Activity: 19.0% Activity: 19.0% Activity: 19.0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,529 Times in 659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towner90 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
True, but it makes me think of the Sage Mortimer scenario, where she wasn't allowed to wrestle in the "boys only" State Tournament but was given an exhibition match against the winner and dominated him. I wonder if that's what's going to happen in the future. The best of the girls possibly facing the best of the boys, in exhibitions.
Weight may be an issue .. I've heard wrestling coaches say women below a certain weight (maybe 115lbs?) have the physical edge over guys.

If it's about packing as much power into 109lbs as possible, there's probably a point where the lower female bone density and slightly higher leg muscle fibre strength mean you can pack more functional strength into a female frame.

I suspect if we had open categories, and as many women training as men, there'd be weight classes where the best in the world are all female – maybe only below 110lbs .. You get female athletes who look like monsters at 110, while a lot of guys look like they should be in the circus
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Futuristics For This Useful Post:
Old 16-Jun-22, 18:28
Points: 45,370, Level: 93 Points: 45,370, Level: 93 Points: 45,370, Level: 93
Activity: 4.8% Activity: 4.8% Activity: 4.8%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,732 Times in 468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurjackson22 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I also know an olympic female wrestler cannot beat a male olympic wrestler at wrestling.
Oh, I wouldn't say that. A woman would never be the gold medalist in the event, but might Tamyra Mensah-Stock beat Liechtenstein's best wrestler? Absolutely.
Old 03-Sep-22, 16:46
Points: 1,676, Level: 16 Points: 1,676, Level: 16 Points: 1,676, Level: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurjackson22 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I know high school females can beat high school males in wrestling. I also know an olympic female wrestler cannot beat a male olympic wrestler at wrestling. There must be a limit of how good a woman can be.
These are different types of wrestling. Olympic wrestling is freestyle and Greco-Roman, while high school wrestling is folkstyle. We all know girls can be awesome at folkstyle (also judo, jujitsu, and submission wrestling), at least in the lower weight classes. I seriously doubt there are any who could beat a skilled guy their own size in the olympic styles. They would have to be going against much smaller guys to even be competitive, much less have a chance at actually winning.

I do think in folkstyle or jujitsu girls may have some advantages: girls are often more flexible, have better balance, their female intuition may help them sense some weakness or vulnerability in their opponent that they can exploit, unless they’re ridiculously well-endowed they probably have a lower center of gravity, and wider hips might be advantageous in some situations as well. Also, there are two types of muscle fiber. One is optimized for explosive power, and the other is optomized for endurance. Men have a much greater distribution of the first type, while women have more of the second type. This is why women are supposed to do more reps in the gym than guys do with most exercises. Endurance is a huge factor in wrestling, but the Olympic styles require more explosive power and upper body strength that most females don’t have. Upper body strength and explosive power is a major emphasis in these types, especially Greco-Roman, where you can’t really use your legs and points are awarded for how high and hard you can throw an opponent.

In the case of judo, jujitsu, and BJJ, these styles were developed from the ground up to allow somebody who is smaller and weaker to defeat somebody who is bigger and stronger by using leverage, redirecting momentum, and using the strongest parts of your body against the weakest parts of theirs. Strength helps in any form of grappling, but in these disciplines, unless there’s a huge difference in size/ strength, the one with the better technical skills is probably going to win.

Last edited by db413; 04-Sep-22 at 00:10. Reason: Added some stuff
The Following User Says Thank You to db413 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-Sep-22, 20:22
Points: 1,676, Level: 16 Points: 1,676, Level: 16 Points: 1,676, Level: 16

I should also add that freestyle and Greco-Roman are a lot more violent and injuries are a lot more common. No matter how much muscle a woman packs on, her bones are still smaller and less dense, and she can’t to anything to change that. Chances are any woman who tried it against men would end up getting seriously injured a lot.
The Following User Says Thank You to db413 For This Useful Post: