Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Wrestling & Fighting Discussion > Can women really beat men?

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

View Poll Results: What percentage of untrained men can Kayla Harrison beat in a fight?
less than 5%, she can only beat the weakest men 2 1.44%
5% to 20% 7 5.04%
20% to 50% 7 5.04%
50% to 80% 17 12.23%
80% to 95% 20 14.39%
95% to 99% 22 15.83%
99% to 99,9% 11 7.91%
99,9% to 99,99% 2 1.44%
99,99% to 99,999% 2 1.44%
More than 99,999% but less than 100%, some men are still to much for her 22 15.83%
100%, she could beat every single untrained men 27 19.42%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23-Aug-21, 21:51
Points: 13,934, Level: 51 Points: 13,934, Level: 51 Points: 13,934, Level: 51
Activity: 40.5% Activity: 40.5% Activity: 40.5%
Last Achievements

Thanked 4,439 Times in 904 Posts
Default Re: What percentage of untrained men can Kayla Harrison defeat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xen2002 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
180 lbs and above of mostly lean muscle would be a fit stronger guy. Obviously a lot of gym monkeys have no coordination.

Personally I think I could be 25lbs lighter and would still have too much of a power advantage despite the technique gap. Other than Nunes and maybe Valentina none of the women possess sufficient striking to cause any worries. Having played rugby and watched a lot of UFC they would find it very hard to execute a takedown even if they can get within range and one punch and they would be out... that said I guess Atheltic and coordinated limits the number to less than 5% of the male population
How big and strong are you?

Anyway I think you are understimating how much of a powerhouse Kayla is and I don't know why you think she would be an easier opponent than Amanda or Valentina.
Valentina and Amanda are a lot smaller and weaker than her and I think a big and strong athletic man would actually have much better chance against them.

Kayla would beat 95% of untrained men even if she had no technique just on raw strenght, speed and athleticism alone, she is the best in the world in a sport where it's essential to push and pull people so she is going to have insane functional strenght.
A female olympic gold medalist has incredible strenght and reflexes, above the vast majority of men, she is probably stronger than some of the guys you consider strong.

Now add on top of that she is very skilled in techniques that also work on much bigger, stronger, faster people and I can see just the very 0,00001% top of untrained men as completely out of her league.

Quote:
Having played rugby and watched a lot of UFC they would find it very hard to execute a takedown even if they can get within range and one punch and they would be out...
To be honest with you everytime I heard someone say that they learnt stuff by watching UFC and then I sparred with them they didn't perform any better than guys who didn't even know what an armbar looked like.

Maybe you are the exception to the rule but until proven otherwise I would put all my money on Kayla.

It's 10x more difficult than what it looks like to replicate what you see fighters do on tv, behind every move there are tons of little, subtle details that are "invisibile" at first glance but yet they are extremely important.
Moreover if you have never sparred with someone every "theretical knowledge" you may have would fly out of the window in the heat of the moment during a real fight.

Now if you were actually watching and studying online tutorials about the techniques, drilling them and sparring with your friends etc....than it would be a completely different thing and you could be competent enough even without formal training.
Old 24-Aug-21, 00:27
Points: 2,736, Level: 21 Points: 2,736, Level: 21 Points: 2,736, Level: 21
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

6’2 and about 207lbs, probably around 14% body fat. Have played 2 sports to a semi pro level including rugby (and im rugby in the small quick player with good footwork rather than slow brute). Despite no formal training Iv spent enough time on a punch bag to very much doubt she would want to get too close and it would not be easy to a)take me down and b) hold me down. She is giving away a huge height and reach advantage not to mention weight. She is yet to fight a competent women and right now i think she would be destroyed by Amanda and Valentina both of who I think would be far scarier. The depth of the women’s mma is very poor though. There was a Swedish tall fighter last weekend with 4-0 record who went down to the first face punch and gave up...

This is obviously all hypothetical as i wouldn’t be comfortable hitting a women even sparring with protective gear. I guess this is also the reason there don’t seem to be mixed gender matches as it’s hard to find men who would do so
Old 26-Aug-21, 02:04
Banned
Points: 8,782, Level: 40 Points: 8,782, Level: 40 Points: 8,782, Level: 40
Activity: 19.0% Activity: 19.0% Activity: 19.0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,529 Times in 659 Posts

I'm nearly 6'1 and 210lbs heavy, 192lbs at a lean bodyfat (think David Laid) .. Trained in striking since a teen with some grappling, gym 6 days a week.

Kayla's 5'8 .. That can feel pretty big, esp. with that much muscle .. I've dated two 5'9 girls, and they feel pretty man-sized, esp. when you're lying down .. You can have very similar sized torsos.

We have BJJ and MMA classes at my gym .. We're in totally the wrong ballpark talking about Kayla .. For a guy like me, joining a BJJ or MMA grappling class, you will get submitted by everyone for the first 6 months .. If it's a decent class, you won't be beating anyone who's trained .. Yes, everyone's got a puncher's chance, but any martial artists worth their salt should be able to avoid a rank amateur, slightly above average height male landing a KO blow immediately .. All she has to do is protect her chin and close distance and you're in deeper waters than rolling with your black belt BJJ instructor .. There will be a size of man difficult for her, but not this size
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Futuristics For This Useful Post:
Old 26-Aug-21, 03:35
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xen2002 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
6’2 and about 207lbs, probably around 14% body fat. Have played 2 sports to a semi pro level including rugby (and im rugby in the small quick player with good footwork rather than slow brute). Despite no formal training Iv spent enough time on a punch bag to very much doubt she would want to get too close and it would not be easy to a)take me down and b) hold me down. She is giving away a huge height and reach advantage not to mention weight. She is yet to fight a competent women and right now i think she would be destroyed by Amanda and Valentina both of who I think would be far scarier. The depth of the women’s mma is very poor though. There was a Swedish tall fighter last weekend with 4-0 record who went down to the first face punch and gave up...

This is obviously all hypothetical as i wouldn’t be comfortable hitting a women even sparring with protective gear. I guess this is also the reason there don’t seem to be mixed gender matches as it’s hard to find men who would do so
45 lbs is not that great of a weight advantage, let alone an "huge" one, when you are comparing someone with zero grappling training with one of the most skilled grappler in the world.

You are taller, yes, but taller people are actually easier to take down once you grab an hold of them.

You seem to think that your reach advantage would be too much for her to go past and therefore she could not grab you in the first place, but it's much harder than you seem to realize to punch someone who is trained to avoid staying close enough to be hit for more than a split second, and you have just one chance because before you can throw a second strike she has already grabbed.
Grabbing someone without getting hit is 10x easier than hitting someone without being grabbed, even if the skill level is equal, let alone in your case.

For example look at this no rules match between a pure BJJ fighter like Renzo Gracie and a professional kickboxing champion like James Werring, where the size ad height difference is very similar to you vs Kayla.

He still has no trouble staying outside of striking rage, closing in when the right opportuity arise and taking him down and submitting him.

And yes, I know you are going to say that Renzo is a man while Kayla is a woman, but you are not a kickboxing world champion either so it kinda even it out.

Quote:
The depth of the women’s mma is very poor though. There was a Swedish tall fighter last weekend with 4-0 record who went down to the first face punch and gave up...
The depth of women's MMA is very poor since the sport is still in his infancy so there are some professional female fighters who are not very good despite their status as "professional" and they would lose against someone like you, this is true.

However it has nothing to do with Kayla.

Women's Judo has a ton of depth, and she is literally the best female judoka on the planet (she won gold twice in a row at the olympics) so she is as legit as it gets.

Last edited by Elbow Escape; 26-Aug-21 at 04:02.
Old 26-Aug-21, 14:22
Points: 18,311, Level: 58 Points: 18,311, Level: 58 Points: 18,311, Level: 58
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 2,924 Times in 486 Posts

I think the poll is not set up right with percentages. You should rather give clear numbers in tens of thousands and hundreds of thousands.

If we go by who can beat Kayla, it's probably top tier MMA fighters + decent enough amateurs from middleweight up, top level grapplers (wrestling, BJJ, judo), heavier pro kickboxers and pro boxers and a certain number of hobbyists and big athletic freaks from other sports who have some minimal fight training. Then you'd also have to count retired fighters who are still physically good enough and not too old.

I don't know what exactly the number would be, but I'd assume it's around 10.000 men.

There's also a question whether the fight happens the next moment or does the man get a 6 month training camp. If the latter the number increases.
The Following User Says Thank You to Amazonia For This Useful Post:
Old 28-Aug-21, 21:47
Last Achievements

Being good at Judo neither trains you to avoid or take a punch. One punch from a 200+ lbs guy who is in shape is going to be lights out. That Swedish UFC fighter went down with a small punch from a tiny girl. Lots of very wild punches lacking any technique getting through against a trained kick boxer...
Old 28-Aug-21, 22:38
Points: 57,582, Level: 100 Points: 57,582, Level: 100 Points: 57,582, Level: 100
Activity: 92.9% Activity: 92.9% Activity: 92.9%
Last Achievements

Thanked 8,750 Times in 1,917 Posts

Quote:
Being good at Judo neither trains you to avoid or take a punch. One punch from a 200+ lbs guy who is in shape is going to be lights out. That Swedish UFC fighter went down with a small punch from a tiny girl. Lots of very wild punches lacking any technique getting through against a trained kick boxer...
Quote from Ronda Rousey:

When I left judo and went into MMA, everyone was saying, "How's she gonna react to getting punched in the face?" And I was thinking, You don't understand. In judo, those girls would punch you straight in the face all the time. They'd pretend to go for a grip and just punch you. Grab you by the collar and hit you over and over again. If you watch the fight I lost at the Olympics, you'll see that girl punched me in the face twenty times.

Source: [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

You're too het up with size. Athleticism is the real intangible. Athleticism and genetics are everything.

It's not that easy to hit someone in a fight, especially when they might hit you back or you're fearful of being grabbed and taken down.
Old 28-Aug-21, 22:50
Last Achievements

I agree size isn’t everything but athleticism combined with size is going to be a pretty effective combo against a female trained in Judo not stand up. It would be very hard for a shorter and smaller lady to get past knees and punches from a strong tall athletic guy let alone then take him down and hold him down.
Old 28-Aug-21, 23:18
Last Achievements

Quote:
Being a pure Judoka doesn't train you at avoiding or taking a punch.

However training in how to implement your judo skills in an MMA environment, like Kayla does, makes you good at closing the distance without getting hit in the process.

Quote:
It would be very hard for a shorter and smaller lady to get past knees and punches from a strong tall athletic guy let alone then take him down and hold him down.
Just like it was very hard for the much shorter and much smaller Renzo to get past knees and punches from a strong tall athletic kickboxing world champion in the video I posted? XD

Closing the distance without getting hit is nowhere near as a hard as you seem to believe, seriously is probably one of the easiest thing to do.
You risk getting knocked out when you are willingly exchanging strikes with your opponent, if you are cautiosly staying outside of striking range and wait for the right opportunity to rush in the chances of receveing a blow are incredibly low, especially by someone untrained.
Old 28-Aug-21, 23:25
Points: 57,582, Level: 100 Points: 57,582, Level: 100 Points: 57,582, Level: 100
Activity: 92.9% Activity: 92.9% Activity: 92.9%
Last Achievements

Thanked 8,750 Times in 1,917 Posts

Quote:
I agree size isn’t everything but athleticism combined with size is going to be a pretty effective combo against a female trained in Judo not stand up. It would be very hard for a shorter and smaller lady to get past knees and punches from a strong tall athletic guy let alone then take him down and hold him down.
I could go some ways in agreeing with this if said female Judoka was just some Jane Average that had been taking Judo classes for 10 years. But someone like Kayla Harrison - world class athlete - would throw a bigger, stronger guy around like an absolute rag doll.

I think you'd be surprised and come away with a new appreciation for Judo if you took a few classes. I took a few classes years ago and it really is all about using a person's weight, momentum and body mechanics against them. Obviously you need speed, reflex and athleticism to make it work but size and strength can easily be used AGAINST a person that is clueless.

Look at this vid with Andrulla Blanchette. Even though she's a strong, muscular woman, she can't use muscle and strength to throw the bigger guy around. She's only 135lbs or so. 5'2" doll of a woman.

1:50 "You're pushing from your hip as you're turning your body, so it's effortless."

"It's all technique."

Did you also see this street fight video posted by Elbow Escape?? The bigger, no doubt stronger man wasn't able to resist getting viciously thrown onto his head. His own momentum was used against him like Andrulla was talking about.

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
The Following User Says Thank You to jiminy For This Useful Post: